IFAK: TRAUMA KIT, My Personal Kit I put together

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaryMc, Sep 26, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

IFAK: TRAUMA KIT

OK, guys this is a trauma kit I put together geared to try to save someone's life until real help can either arrive or I can get someone to the hospital. It was specifically put together for major accidents such as auto, gunshots, and stabbings. It was last used the first week of August at a major auto accident in front of my house, four 17 year olds driving too fast went off the road, down an embankment, and into the woods right after school let out, one injured seriously requiring attention until EMTs could arrive, usually they are 10-15 minutes out. Personally I feel anyone who carries a gun should have some basic first aid knowledge and a trauma kit with them as well. This one stays in my car most of the time, is used multiple times per year unfortunately, usually at auto accidents. I am not a doctor, an EMT, nothing of the kind just have basic first aid skills so take this for what it's worth. Hope some real experts step up and critique it and tell me my shortcomings besides obviously training. This is meant to be portable for car, larger bag either attached or riding in it. I have 2 set up in the exact same manner so I know where everything is without having to think about it, both kits are exact duplicates. I will obtain more and better training after I retire next year.

Here we go, starts with a "Vanquest FATPack 4x6: First Aid Trauma Pack" pouch which I like as it is easy to organize and super easy to grab the handle and rip it open.

[​IMG]

Along with the Trauma Kit, I always keep a reflective vest, fire gloves, a personal first aid kit, a SAM Splint, and an ice pack in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the outside are a Gerber Hinderer Rescue Knife & Tools and a Channelock Cable Cutter for clipping battery cables to prevent fires if necessary at accidents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also keep a CPR mask attached to the Vanquest FATPack.

[​IMG]

Contents Inside

[​IMG]

3 pairs of North American Rescue Nitrile gloves in black, a roll of sterile gauze, and a roll of North American Rescue tape on the pullout portion on the FATPack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side in pouch, 12 Alcohol Pads

[​IMG]

Left side in elastic band, Israeli Bandage

[​IMG]

Center back pouch: Twin pack of HyFin chest seals and 2 large abdominal pads with wet proof barrier, and North American Rescue EMT Shears

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Center front pouch: 3 Topper 4"x4" Gauze Pads

[​IMG]

Center front elastic band: QuikClot Combat Gauze Z-Folded for easier packing of penetrating wounds

[​IMG]

Right elastic band: North American Rescue CAT Tourniquet, there's also a red Sharpie in the pouch behind it I neglected to show for writing date & time tourniquet applied directly on the tourniquet which is critical.

[​IMG]

Fire Gloves

[​IMG]

Hope some experts weigh in but this is the trauma kit I carry today. Please feel free to critique this setup as I am not an expert. As always thanks for taking the time to read another of my reviews.

Sincerely,

Gary

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Nice kit man.

GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Thanks @Bushman5 !!!!!!

4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Didn't even see this. Feel free to post over in Med section. Will look at it tomorrow when the pics will actually load. Internet is screwy tonight.

GaryMc likes this.
  5. Emac

Emac Member

My only bit of information for this Gary is to replace the standard CAT with a
    SOFTT-W version. The plastic windless on the original CAT has been known to break when applying the appropriate pressure needed to stop the hemorrhaging. The SOFTT-W has an aluminum windless....bot gonna break that one. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise it looks like you got a nice blowout kit!

6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

100% agree and I am a big fan of polymer. I have actually broken the plastic windlass myself.

7. Emac

Emac Member

I have broken them in training but never in a real situation....that'd just be a terrible day that I hope to never experience. I still have a few of the old CATS tucked away in my truck but anything on my person is a SOFTT-W.