Need some advice

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Drew RedBear, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thank you much gents! I probably would've packed too much or pulled something (might still lol). @C99c pegged it though, I'm 50 with health issues. That's why I wanted to get others' advice. Really appreciate it.

2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'm not sure I could wear something others have unless I could really wash it good lol. Plus shoes have already been broken in by the other person. But that's not a bad price, I honestly would've gotten them also

3. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Key word there was "like new" somone ordered them and they didnt fit and waited too long to return.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  4. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

If you try some on in store.. make sure uou slam and jam your toes into the toe box.. try and simulate how they hold your feet in to any simulated descents.. that can be the worst if your feet get crammed and toes smushed.. id prefer the higher cut moabs im sure but price was right.. ive been known to hike in my steel toe work boots but i wear them 10hrs a day regularly. Its great training lol like wearing ankle weights in the trail

Drew RedBear likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Might look at Keen too. I hear they are wider. No clue how they will do on the trail though.

Drew RedBear and Twoody88 like this.
  6. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Keen are comfy and light. Only downside is the midsole is a softer foam. It’s good for comfort and holds up in hiking trails but some places we go the foam gets ripped up to easy on sharp rocks.

Drew RedBear, Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  7. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Keens are nice and a bit wider on average forsure. Expensive and like skip said not as durable down low. The keen soles are also not as grippy as the vibrams on most of the merrells i find

Skip808 and Strigidae like this.
  8. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I've had a few pairs of Merrell MOABs. Also a couple of pairs of Danner hiking boots (as well as numerous Danner 8" boots). I find the MOAB to be very comfortable and break in quickly. They are also fairly light for a hiking boot. Lighter than the Danner hiking boots (although they were more heavy duty than the Merrells). However the issue I have is despite the "waterproof" tag they are NOT waterproof.

My older pairs seemed to get fairly worn before I had any notable wetness issues. My new pair, which are still relatively new, have already caused me enough problems that I'll probably start looking for something else. I was reminded of this camping with the scouts this weekend. The dew and frost on the grass had my feet soaked in no time. I never had an issue with the Danners until they got very worn. Although I've used 8" Danner boots at work for 15 years now, and they are definitely not built like they used too. Maybe their USA made ones still are???

Drew RedBear likes this.
  9. erik

erik Member

are you sure you didn't accidentally pick up the moab 2 ventilator instead of the moab 2 waterproof?

10. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm sure these are the waterproof versions. If it was only one boot I'd suspect a manufacturing defect or other random isolated issue. Both of them have the same problem.

11. erik

erik Member

That sucks.
    Otoh, it makes me really happy I spent a month trying to find a pair in stock somewhere within 150 miles of home and failing, because I'm pretty happy with the timberlands I settled for.
    ;)