Need some advice

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Drew RedBear, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Since the weather is starting to get nice out again, I want to start hiking. So I'm looking for some hiking shoes but not sure what brand would be good. I don't want something cheap but nothing real expensive either, probably around the $75 range. I'm overweight so something that will hold up to the extra weight also. Then, should I get shoes or boots? I'm thinking boots for ankle support in case I step wrong. Any insight would be great. Also, what would you bring in a pack? I'll start out with short walks so I won't need much, but what are the necessities besides an ESEE? lol. I appreciate any info. Thank you.

Creaky Bones and mwramos76 like this.
  2. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Start hiking as in never hiked before? Pavement, trail, flat, hills, expected temps? Will you be near other people or out in the boonies?
    Shoes are about as subjective a piece of gear as you can get and $75 isn't going to get you the support you probably need.
    If you don't mind someone else's dirt, REI has a good, used gear selection. You don't get to try stuff on first, so do some homework on proper fit. If you have a store nearby, they're pretty helpful and you can have stuff shipped to the store to save on shipping costs.
    https://www.rei.com/used

Twoody88 likes this.
  3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Not really been, no. Once or twice but never took anything with. It'll be mostly trails, some rocky but most not. Temps in the 70's and 80's and as far as other people, some probably with some without. I don't plan on going into the middle of nowhere though.

So about what price/brand of shoes/boots? I could probably skip on a couple other things. I do have quite a bit here, but wanted to do a separate hiking pack.

There's no REI close by but I'll check out their site. Thank you.

4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I saw these, and I wear sketchers daily, so thought they might be ok? COLLAGE_20210320_135405.jpg

5. erik

erik Member

I've had 3 different friends tell me how much they love their Merrell Moab 2 boots -- but they run $90-135, so may be out of your price range.

If you've had good experience with how sketchers fit you, give it a shot.

Another one to consider is the Herman Survivors they sell at Wally -- 25 years ago, that was a good boot, and it may still be.

Twoody88 and mwramos76 like this.
  6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I might be able to go up a little for the merrells but with Amazon's return policy and try brute you buy I'll probably try the sketchers first. I had a pair of the Herman's and they didn't work out. Thanks for the help and info though.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Nothing will f you up faster than bad boots mate, not just your feet but knees and hips as well. They are worth the pain of the purchase price.

Strigidae, C99c and Drew RedBear like this.
  8. Skip808

Skip808 Member

totally agree with this. Poor fitting boots will make the outdoors very unpleasant.

My normal hunting boots are Danner Pronghorns. They work great but are up in the $130 range. Try on as many different ones as you can.

I also found Keen to fit me well. They both have good wide sizes and large toe boxes.

erik and Drew RedBear like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear
    I am a bigger guy myself and am more picky about shoes.
    I am a BIG fan of the Merrel Moab series of shoes. BIG BUT here... They can be pretty rough on your knees and feet if you don’t have a good insert. Shoes great the inserts BAD IMO..
    What I have done to make these ok is swap out the insoles for a good set of New Balance inserts( are almost as much as the shoes...)
    I would also recommend a pair of the New Balance brand hiking boots.. But they are going to be $100 -$150..

Drew RedBear likes this.
  10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

“Right On!” to everyone who’s said good boots are critical. My feet have been messed up since childhood, and I’ve learned the value of footwear the hard way.

If you are going on trails, with any kind of load, you risk sprains in low-tops (especially if you’re just starting out). Boots will also accommodate inserts more easily; you don’t want an insert to raise your foot up in the heel counter of a shoe - that’s asking for a sprain (or worse).

Shoot me a PM re some ideas on getting reasonable fit.

11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Screenshot_20210320-231511.png Screenshot_20210320-231822.png I really appreciate the info fellas, and per your input, I'll be looking at Merrell and Danner boots.

Edit. I saw these on Amazon (no place close by to buy in store). Neither are the moab but that's why I'm posting. Also, I wear a 12 in sketchers and Nike, how do the merrells fit in comparison?

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

The top Merrells is actually the Moab. If you google the number in the title it comes up.
    Depending on how wide you feet are you can order the Merells in a wide size. I have super wide feet (That don’t fit in “wide”nikes. If you feet fit well in Regular width Nikes you should be good with regular width Merrels. Length wise they run true to size. I don’t think it would be neccasery to order a size larger unless you a squeezed in the 12’s.

As far as Danners, I have only worn their work boots. IMO.. Even their wide sizes run a little narrow, but that could also be because all mine had the “safety toe”

Drew RedBear likes this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Oh ok, cool. I don't have wide feet, just normal old mans feet lol. So if I wear a 12 normally, get a 12 in the merrell?

14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear
    That should be a safe bet.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  15. erik

erik Member

my experience with Danner, LaCrosse, and Rocky are to size up 1/2 from my normal shoe size and always get the widest shoe they offer.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  16. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I'm with @RocketmanDane on the Merrell Moab. I've hiked a decent amount of miles in them with a 25ish pound pack and have no complaints.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  17. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

I hike mostly in Merrell Chameleons. Very comfy, but like @RocketmanDane said, the insoles are Merrell’s shortcoming. For me, they feel great at first, but after a few miles they get hard. Make sure you have room in whatever you get. Your feet will swell while hiking, and shoes that were just barely big enough in the morning will be miserable later. I pack water. Then I pack more water. A boo boo kit with some leukotape to keep hot spots from turning into nasty blisters, or to hold some gauze on a cut or scrape. A tick key. Tweezers. Snacks to prevent hypoglycemia. A windshirt. A rain ponch. A compass. A whistle. More water. Dry socks. A roll of dog poop bags. They’re easy to carry, they can go over your socks in wet shoes, they can carry wet gear, and they’re handy if you bring your dog. Some sort of line...paracord, bank line, twine, whatever. Fire. A lighter and a ferro rod. A headlamp or flashlight. Try not to pack 30 lbs of crap you “might” need, like an axe, a cast iron pan, extra shoes. You’ll find out pretty quick which things you need and which you’ll never ever use. A map. I have a solar charger for my phone that clips to the top of my pack and charges while I hike. If you go alone, make sure you leave a “float” plan with somebody. Don’t try to set up the perfect pack the first time you go. It will be wrong. You’ll refine it every time you go based on what works best for you, so keep it simple in the beginning. Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Drew RedBear and erik like this.
  18. C99c

C99c Member

+1. You can replace most survival kits with ANY bag, a $20 SAK and $10 worth of stuff from any Dollar Store, CVS or whatnot. Spend the money protecting your feet.

This is as true for an 18 yr old triathlete as it is for a 50 yr old with health issues, the 18 yr old can just get away with making poor decisions for longer with less permanent damage.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Drew RedBear likes this.
  19. Bozho

Bozho Member

Do you have Chiruca brand shoes in the US?
    Spanish made, bombproof - I wore mine for 8 years until the sole fell apart, the leather part was as good as new :eek: Chiruca Torkaz is the exact model, I can't recommend them high enough.
    Also if you have the Decathlon stores, they have shoes at unbelievable price with amazing warranty.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  20. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I have merrell moab2s in low cut atm. Theyre awesome. I find they run slightly small in size, feel a bit boxy and odd on pavement but amazing on the trail. Picked them up for like 50.00cad on local craigslist like new !

Drew RedBear likes this.