Show your axe thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Jan 19, 2017.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT Member

I'll have to dig for better pics, but I have way too many axes. This is one of my Winchester Firearms axes. IMG_20170608_204945897.jpg IMG_20170608_204929077.jpg

2. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Got these two axes around Christmas this year. I am really liking the Carpenter's Axe... :D

20201228_195824.jpg

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I designed this one for the folks at WOOX recently! Naturally it's become a personal favorite. 3lb head with true convergent bevels (NOT phantom) and a hardened poll.

[​IMG]

4. FortyTwoBlades

Oh--forgot to mention the best part: it uses a slip-fit handle like a pick axe or a tomahawk, so you can swap handles on the fly. 22" is the current stock handle length for packability, but a 28" will be available in February if things go to schedule, and you'll be able to switch handles as deemed appropriate. Head loosen up on ya'? Just tap it down a little more. Handle break? Just knock the busted handle out of the eye and drop in a fresh one. Need to fashion a replacement handle in the field? A fistful of lithe green branches jammed in the eye will do in a pinch, and you can make a complete handle using nothing but the head itself.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’m not really an axe guy, but I do like to keep a few hundred laying around. Here’s a few BB647992-529B-4936-AF25-F1C5932D76B0.jpeg

6. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Here are some good references. The Thomas Lamond books are amazing. If your serious about axes, they are a great reference. I love the Axe book. It’s more about proper usage. 5D489A6F-9385-4A7D-B39E-5D2D4F40AA56.jpeg

7. FortyTwoBlades

Dudley Cook's work isn't without its flaws, but it's a classic book.

8. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That's how I feel about machetes ;)

ASH, The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  9. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I don’t own an axe. What makes an axe a good axe?

Kaw-liga and Adventurer like this.
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

The user makes a huge difference! It’s all in preference. Double bits typically are balanced better, but single bits can be equally effective. The purpose the axe will be used is very important. I’m partial to Gransfor Bruks, but there are many great axes out there.

11. FortyTwoBlades

A bit of a complicated question, as context of use really determines the qualities you need. In general, though, it will be important to have a geometry that give the right bit width, thickness, and depth at an appropriate total head weight for the tasks you intend on doing with it. Cutting with an axe tends to require a balance between edge length (the surface the blow ends up getting spread over) and the balance between penetration (thinner = better) and spreading/wedging forces (thicker = better) to pop a chip and prevent sticking when chopping or for splitting. The ideal balance of these traits will depend on what you're doing with the axe.

Kaw-liga, mwramos76 and Chris Talley like this.
  12. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I'm just starting to get into axes but it really comes down to your intended purpose, what you want it to be able to excel at, and your preferences.

For a long time I just had a splitting maul, 13" Craftsman hatchet, and a chainsaw that did everything I needed them to...

More recently I picked up a 20" husquvarna carpenter axe and really love it. It makes a good camping axe for what I need. Also got a 26" axe which is nice for larger tasks.

I think you just need to decide what you want to do with it and choose one that will accomplish those tasks well.

I would recommend a 20" or so handle as a good general size for a fun axe...

20210124_115628.jpg

I am curious to see what other people think as well...

KnOeFz, Ballenxj, Strigidae and 4 others like this.
  13. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

This would typically be used for splitting for wood but I’d like to be able to chop a tree if need be. I’m certainly more than capable with one. Just never bought my own. Was using. My father n laws old bent one the other day and was thinking how I’ve never looked into one for myself. Amazing how far you can get with a Junglas lol

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  14. FortyTwoBlades

You might consider something like a Husqvarna splitting axe and just keep a keen thin edge on it that's capable of chopping wood when needed.

[​IMG]

KnOeFz, Ballenxj, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  15. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I will look them up. Thank you!

16. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

@FortyTwoBlades has a good suggestion. I would highly suggesting going with what he thinks is best. The Husquvarna splitting axe looks like a really nice axe. If it is mainly a splitting axe you will probably want the weight/size of an axe like this.

A few other options to think about if you want something smaller (that probably won't split as well...)

If it is just light splitting for campfires and serves as a camping axe the Hults Bruk Gran might be an option? Husquvarna also sells a similar model. I really like the idea of having a hand-forged axe :D.

http://hultsbruk1697.se/products/the-gran/

A lot of people also seem to like the Council Tools Boy's Axes as well.

https://counciltool.com/shop/dayton...28-curved-wooden-handle-sport-utility-finish/

https://counciltool.com/shop/dayton...24-curved-wooden-handle-sport-utility-finish/

Have never owned or handled any of these (but I am eyeing up that Gran...:)). This is just from what I have read...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  17. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I’ll check those out too. Thank you!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  18. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

TL;DR I wanted a decent axe and didn't know the first thing about them either. FortyTwoBlades helped me pick out a great axe for my needs and made sure it had a proper edge before shipping it to me. Patrick and Reuben pointed me to an awesome tomahawk. I use it on 99% of my outings because it's convenient to carry. Finally, I got biblical and read some Mors and Kephart. Both authors had entire chapters dedicated to axes/axemanship.

I can only echo what others have said. I let my intended usage dictate my choice. I got ahold of @FortyTwoBlades a few years back and asked for a recommendation from his store options. I wanted something made in the USA and small enough to kayak with. I didn't need anything to chop down trees with so much as I needed something to split pine, oak, birch, and hickory with. He suggested this Council Tools Hudson Bay axe with a 28" handle. He refined the factory edge for me before shipping. It has served me very well for several years. IMG_20180621_180156714_HDR.jpg IMG_20180324_130251703.jpg IMG_20180324_125243037_HDR.jpg

Reuben and Patrick both liked the Camp Hawk model by H&B Forge when I asked them for a lightweight tomahawk recommendation. They come in 3 different sizes and are hand forged 1095 steel. Mine is the "medium" size and came with a very nice handmade leather belt sheath. It's been great for all kinds of light camp chores, fire craft, and it doubles as a hammer. Here I've used it for making a cup and a spoon on separate occasions. IMG_20200320_123725616_HDR.jpg IMG_20190914_133856422_HDR-01.jpeg

Also, Mors Kochanski and Horace Kephart devoted whole chapters of their books to axes. I actually read both of these books cover-to-cover recently. These guys leaned way harder on their axes than I do. It was still great insight and reference material. IMG_20210221_160047276_HDR-01.jpeg

KnOeFz, Ballenxj, Strigidae and 4 others like this.
  19. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Very nice. I love that hawk.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom Member