Hiking, camping and adventuring with martin_j001....

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by martin_j001, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Cool photos! The light saber is neat!

martin_j001 likes this.
  2. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

What an awesome thread.

It’s awesome to see folks getting out with their families.

Keep this stuff coming buddy!!

martin_j001 likes this.
  3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Been a while since my last update.

Made a quick trip up to Toccoa Falls early last year. Had driven nearby before, but never actually visited the falls. Right in the middle of a college campus, so kind cool/different.
    [​IMG]

Another “bencher” into the mountain backroads iOS north Georgia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This trip did not go as smoothly as planned. Lowered tire pressures when we hit dirt, so tpms light was on already. We had motorcycles behind us on this trail, so I was hearing extra noise from them the whole time too...failed to notice my passenger rear tire decreasing in pressure until it was too late to salvage the tire. Got the spare on though, and enjoyed the rest of the day. As can be seen below, my wife and the munchkin made the best of my tire changing time. The guy in the vest showed up to chat and offer moral support, I guess, lol.
    [​IMG]

Next up was an anniversary (13 years) trip and a reunion trip, meeting my best friend and his family at a cabin in the Bryson Coty, NC area for the week. Did some hiking in the Smokey Mtn National Park, explores a short dirt road, visited Clingmans Dome, saw some elk, and did plenty of relaxing at the cabin. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was the LONG drive to Waco, TX, for my brothers wedding. Didn’t spend much time there...left home on Wednesday, returned on Monday. Very short visit, but enough time for me and the munchkin to play our respective roles in the wedding. Damn it was hot.
    [​IMG]
    With her Grandpa, Grandma, Mimi and Zayde...
    [​IMG]

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

For my wife’s birthday last year, we headed to visit the in-laws in Swansboro, NC. That means fishing. :)
    [​IMG]
    Her first catch, a pinfish on an ultralight rod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then finally made it up to Bell Mountain to check it out too. That’s a steep drive, even paved. Cool scenery up too though.
    [​IMG]
    Took a while, but we convinced Mama to come up on the overlooks with us finally.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About this time, we found out about the pending arrival of a fourth adventurer that will be tagging along with us soon...
    [​IMG]

Once the weather cooled off a bit, it was time to go camping again. Went to Tallulah Gorge State Park. Campground was a little more crowded than we had hoped it would be, and we had some teenage/early college age neighbors that were annoying, but still better than being inside for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was a camping trip to Mistletoe State Park. Lots more room at this campground, much less annoying neighbors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JMick and Adventurer like this.
  5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

For Thanksgiving, we usually make the trek to the in-laws in Swansboro, NC. More fishing, more beach and sand fun. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For New Years, we headed south to Daytona Beach to visit Mimi and Zayde, and met up with my brother and his wife (also pregnant). Snuck in a quick charter trip with my brother too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Strigidae

Congratulations!!! So much to celebrate!

7. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Next up was some changes to the battle/dad-wagon to accommodate future, other adventures. Added a basic Yakima rack system to accommodate wider crossbars.

[​IMG]

Makes getting the new fishing kayak on and off by myself much easier.
    [​IMG]

First trip out in the ‘yak...skunked. Most people seem to be not having wonderful luck this past winter in our area...without electronics, and/or knowing where structure exists to find fish, it’s been pretty rough lately. Still had a good time out on the lake with two of my buddies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We once again had some snow in ATL. Lasted only a few hours. Was in the upper 60’s earlier in the week, and within two days after this again too. The munchkin definitely enjoyed playing in it while it lasted.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, Federal Holiday once again, decided to go for a hike. Been walking 3 or so miles most mornings I can at work, so thought I’d do the same 3-4 out on the trail. I was enjoying the peace and quiet so much, I rounded it up to 8. Nice day for it, and as always my HPG gear treated me well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Great posts man !!

martin_j001 likes this.
  9. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Well, working from home sadly hasn’t meant more free time for fun adventures, that’s for sure. Our lab team has been caught up in the COVID-19 response work, so been plenty busy with that.

Managed to sneak away this past weekend for a short hike though, about 4.5 miles in a local park that has some nice trails. Trying out some new gear too—HPG SAR kit bag and their Conor V2. Really liking this setup. The Umlindi is great, but for a day hike the Conor V2 seems like it’s going to work better for my needs. Very comfortable pack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lately, the majority of my adventures look more like this...walking around the neighborhood with preggers (1 month to go!!) and the munchkin in her wagon.
    [​IMG]

Strigidae, IW17, Twoody88 and 2 others like this.
  10. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

New gears looking good !

martin_j001 likes this.
  11. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Got out for another hike yesterday, and it was almost perfect for it. Low 50’s, sunny, and a slight breeze to start. Checked out a new section of trail I hadn’t been on before, and loved it. Pine forest in this section, and the fog was lifting out of the top of the trees...hard not to stop and just look at how beautiful and peaceful it was. Covered just over 6 miles total. HPG SAR kit and Connor V2 doing superbly once again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Camouflage

Camouflage Member

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm going on a hike next Sunday.

martin_j001 likes this.
  13. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Whew, it’s been a while. What a ******* year. Audrey Rose was born May 27, and other than being the worlds neediest baby is doing good. Her big sister absolutely adores her. Luckily COVID hasn’t had an effect on our jobs, and we’re both busier than ever plus taking care of an infant. My mom passed unexpectedly in July (not COVID), but luckily was able to meet her newest grandchild first. Picked up a new adventure vehicle in September, and we're loving it. Much more comfy for travel as a family of 4. hoping once Audrey chills out a bit to do some family camping. I’m planning to take the oldest out on our own sometime in the near future.

Now for some random pics from some recent trail rides and such....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Strigidae

Happy to see you back on!

martin_j001 likes this.
  15. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Tailgate step will be your new best friend !! Congrats on the baby and new ride !!

martin_j001 likes this.
  16. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

I always miss this place when I’m not on for a bit. Always fun to see what folks are up to in the outdoors, and find new ways to spend my time and money, lol.

Twoody88 and Strigidae like this.
  17. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

For sure. My fat ass isn’t limber anymore, lol.

Twoody88 likes this.
  18. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Couple more pics....

Built this, color scheme based on mom’s favorites. Will be engraved, and someday handed down to the girls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally snagged something I’ve wanted a long time. Can’t wait to use it outdoors, or to peel a car open lol.
    [​IMG]

And some recent fishing. First in NC, second in FL.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent trip to some trails...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just last week took the youngest on her first real hike.
    [​IMG]

Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  19. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Ive personally wanted a shrike forever. Rmj has always intrigued but never pulled the trigger .