Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. C99c

C99c Member

I got two new neighbors recently. Stopped to introduce myself to one that I was excited to meet because someone told me he was Australian and I thought maybe @Andy the Aussie had moved here. Plus he pulled an old truck out of the woods and I am interested in buying it. Turns out that he is Australian by way of Canada and Austin, Texas and may be the polar opposite of @Andy the Aussie.

The other guy I met online and then realized he's a new neighbor. He popped up on another forum last weekend and bought something I wanted so I messaged him to see if he wanted to sell it to me. Turns out that he and I used to converse regularly on Pirate4x4 back when it was still rocking 15+ years ago.
    He agreed to sell me the item and asked for my info and then sent me a PM wondering if he could just bring it over since he now lives two miles from me. He and his wife retired, packed their stuff and moved from California to Georgia last month.

JV3 and TerryD like this.
  2. TerryD

TerryD Member

That's awesome... I haven't spent any time on Pirate4x4 in years, not that a college student trying to keep a baby from starving could really afford to build anything worthy of their standards anyways when it was "the place".

I helped a buddy build a F150 that got some attention there. Mainly a string of comments from a Dana 60 or Nothing boi that kept hassling my buddy over his D44.

C99c likes this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

Unfortunately Pirate went downhill and then was sold to one of these companies that just buy up Internet forums and run them into the ground with ads, etc.

Many of the members have moved over to Irate4x4 to try to recreate the Pirate's original magic.

At its peak I think Pirate was the perfect public internet forum. There were so many good members and so much good information that you would find what you were looking for or someone would figure it out for you.
    They were rough on new members and there were several in house trolls and jerks, but if folks weren't thin skinned or asked questions that had been answered a thousand times (how much lift do I need to run 33s on _______) usually they accepted you and would do anything for you.

If you went there for tech stuff, information or just to hangout and talk 4WD stuff and stayed out of two sub forums it was like having access to an insane library of constantly evolving knowledge.

And if you chose to spend time in those two forums you could still ask questions, they might just ask for pics of a wife, girlfriend or sister before you got an answer.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    JV3 and TerryD like this.
  4. TerryD

TerryD Member

I think I've lost my RAT-7. The middle girl finished her homework before the others so I took her outside and taught her to baton and make feather sticks. Then we started a little fire in the washer drum and burned some sticks from the yard.

20201120_114831.jpg

C99c, JV3, Drew RedBear and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....so you are saying he IS NOT good looking charming, witting and possessing a killer personality ?????? ;)

C99c, ASH and Strigidae like this.
  6. C99c

C99c Member

I was thinking yay, he'll show me his stuffed kangaroo, we'll talk about Landcruisers and then we'll go kill something.

What I got was a lot of bitching about the dirt tractors had left on the highway, the constant gunshots (deer season in the rural south) and the lack of response from "the authorities" to his complaints about them. And those were the highlights of the conversation.

Maybe he'll settle down, hang out and embrace his new community. Or he'll try to make it more like Austin or Vancouver and then move when he fails. I've seen both happen the last few years.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Does not sound like he is from the country here either, or we ran him off.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  8. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Vancouver folk ... yuck :rolleyes::D

C99c likes this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

Black friday sales have kind of sucked this year. Maybe cyber Monday will be better, but I doubt it, it's still 2020 after all.

The commute to my new job motivated me to finally upgrade the stereo in my truck. I tend to collect old American made amps and subwoofers, so I have already had the gear for years. I knew I wanted to use one 15" sub and I have 8 of them counting the 3 that are still in my suburban. Out of the 5 that I had in storage only two were currently usable. I really wanted to use my cerwin vega but I am going to have to replace the surround on it. My second choice was my jl audio but the surround is so soft I don't think it would hold up for long.

So I decided on using a Crystal mobile sound that has a rubber surround. I decided to power it with an old US amps USA-150 high voltage since I am only running one 4 ohm sub. It's rated at 75 watts x 2, but puts out around 600 cleanly when bridged. It will get down for 1 sub and a 150 watt rated amp.

After about a week it started to distort at about half power. I didn't think it was the amp and I knew I hadn't cooked the sub, it was really clean sounding up to that point, but started making farting sounds when I would crank it hard. I figured out that it must be an air leak, so I got to checking and found the dust cap was coming ungluded.

It's amazing the difference a bead of elmer's glue made. Elmer's wasn't my first choice but I couldn't find my good craft glue since I moved all my tools and things from my old job. I didn't feel like making the trip to Walmart for more, so I went to see what DG had. They had a small bottle of tacky craft glue but it was made in China. They had 2 different types of elmer's glue, one was school glue and the other was more of a multi purpose glue. I don't know if there's any difference besides the labels but it was $1 and USA made, so I went with it. So far so good, we will see how it holds up.

10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Family is all here.

I put vodka in my lemonade an hour ago.

Gonna be a great day!

Strigidae, ASH, TerryD and 1 other person like this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Picked up 4 yards of NYCO rip stop Multicam printed fabric for a steal!
    Now I just need to figure out what to do with it :)

OKcherokee and TerryD like this.
  12. C99c

C99c Member

A heads up for gearheads: Gymkhana 11(with Travis Pastrana) came out today and Ultimate Adventure 2020 is being released a day at a time this week.

TerryD likes this.
  13. TerryD

TerryD Member

UA is usually pretty fun and the Gymkhana stuff is awesome. I'll have to check them out in a few. Is Pewe still involved with Peterson's?

C99c likes this.
  14. C99c

C99c Member

Pewe is (was?) the EIC at Jp Magazine, but Jp and Peterson's are basically dead now, with only online content since the company killed 17 (?) Of 20 something magazine titles. Four Wheeler is the only 4WD print title left.

Pewe hasn't led UA in several years, but it's still been entertaining. He has been on a couple of the ones he didn't lead, but not all of them.

TerryD likes this.
  15. Skip808

Skip808 Member

A picture from the mall. First time I saw the new statues I didn’t think they were fish.... in full disclosure the first time I saw them it was at night haha
    D490C273-8BF7-415D-852D-C74F1F576C57.jpeg

Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Got close to 7” of snow yesterday.
    First significant amount in over 5 years.

Boys had a great time playing in it.
    I’m glad to live somewhere that gets snow, but not frequently. It’s exciting for the kids when it happens, and I don’t have to deal with it all the time.

Also, didn’t bother shoveling the driveway, the sun today has melted it off and it’s mostly dry by now.

JV3 and DiscoveryLover like this.
  17. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Need help please. I'm looking to replace my grandparents dog tags and I found a picture of his but not hers. Any idea what hers would've had on it as a spouse? He was SFC, Army, and in WWII, KOREA and Vietnam. Not sure if that info is helpful. Thanks. 20190713_232642.jpg

Attached Files:

18. BigJake

BigJake Member

Only the service member is issued dog tags.

19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

My grandmother and mother both had dog tags themselves. I had my grandmother's along with my grandfather's with her name, until they were taken. I just can't recall what hers said on it except her name.

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear
    Check out this website. I have not heard of spouses having dog tags. But I think they would be similar to this style.

https://store.1800nametape.com/dog-tags-set-vintage.aspx