Sheath survival kit

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Thedudeman, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Thedudeman

Thedudeman Member

Im currently interested in taking my esee sheathes ( 4, 5, 6, Izula, and Junglas) to the next level. Would like to see everyone’s ideas on what you have kitted out your sheath with. Wether it be factory sheath or aftermarket.

Twiztedmind likes this.
  2. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Remember if all your eggs are in one basket and you loose the basket, you lose all your eggs.) Maybe put redundant gear on the sheath and keep the primary kit somewhere else.
    Mike

3. Black5

Black5 Member

I don't have pictures available, but my junglas2 is the main ride in the bag knife when I'm out in the woods working. (4hm on the belt) I use it for clearing brush and vines when fixing fence up on the hill or light limbing.

I may be out in all weather, often all day into evening after dark. I have the large pouch attached with sheath hardware and zip ties. There is an Esee tin with tinder and small ferro rod, a mini bic lighter, and an altoids tin with bandaids, antibiotic cream packets, aspirin, and burn cream packets. In the bottom of the pouch is about 15 ft of bank line. Outside the pouch is a Coast AA inspection light, and a collapsible blow tube.
    These are my backups to a similar kit in my cargo pocket. The J2 is often in a bushcraft satchel with a bahco folding saw, fence pliers, roll of wire, etc.
    Why I mention this other stuff is my normal use for the knife is in conjunction with other tools, not out exploring the wilderness. However, if i get caught out for some reason, I know the J2 and pouch accessories allow me to build a fire and shelter if push comes to shove. I'm probably looking at surviving no more than 4-5 hours before someone comes looking, and a broken bone is the most probable reason I'm missing. ETA: Cold weather is often a factor, so exposure is a reality.

This may not be relevant to your needs, or even question, but it's how I use mine.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I am not much help......I tend to tape a bottle or bourbon and packet of ibuprofen to my knives. If it does not fix the issue it certainly takes the edge off it.

I also subscribe to Mike's view and keep anything in sheath pouches and such as a secondary resource or knife related (sharpening, an extra ferro rod etc). I find if too much it is sitting proud of the sheath it also starts to get caught up on things more and more. Once I commission a knife from @Sam Wilson I will however also carry a suture kit and such so I can dive from a cliff into a tree and stitch myself up.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Black5

Black5 Member

Sitting proud...
    That means it sticks out and it's heavy.

That's why mine rides in a bag unless I need it then. And bag is in the Jeep.
    Because I can't afford a Land Rover.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. IW17

IW17 Member

Flaming in 3,2,1...:D

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

20201118_160826.jpg
    This is a part of the kit I keep in my Jeep. If I want to go fishing I can stop at almost any creek and have a decent kit on hand.
    20201118_161535.jpg
    In most cases I will have these basics on me even though I might only be 100 yards or less from the Jeep. Theres tools, fire,water, rudimentary shelter...
    20201118_164232.jpg
    If I'm going anywhere else,even a 1/4 mile thru the woods, or if I put the kayak in and paddle away from shore, I'm taking this A3 sized Blackhawk. Everything necessary to sustain me for at least 3 days. I dont tend to stray far from my pack as a rule....

8. Andy the Aussie

..... yep.....clearly anyone in a jeep OR a Land Rover is a bit flaming........but far be it from me.....the ever humble and polite LandCruiser fan....to point this out to them..... :D

9. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

A couple of systems that I use.

Junglas with an Izula II in a baldric configuration and an ESEE 6 on a UM-84 drop leg mount.

3BA95C9C-7406-4CE7-A76B-0F68F2BC66A9.jpeg

10. DYSPHORIC JOY

Another simple one:

3AC95FA9-FD4A-4B3D-914B-0F0D9A038559.jpeg

11. Black5

Black5 Member

My eldest tried to sell me a land cruiser. 2003, I believe it was. I was sorely tempted, as I had driven it about a week. I checked into parts and repairs in my area.

Still driving my jeep....

12. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I thought about this some more, when I say "I don't wander far" it is slightly misleading. I might set my kayak camp and go 100 yards setting bank lines, or to the side of a clear cut to forage edible plants or set a snare,ect.
    To address this I used an unpadded d ring closure "belt", a medium size Maxped Roly Poly, and a 16 oz Nag with holder.
    Now the machete( and Mora) a water bottle and whatever else I need can be easily carried securely plus having a "ready pouch" to put collected/captured goodies in. :)
    20201120_122810.jpg
    This is a medium/regular size. There was a mini (which I know nothing about) and a large, which I also have, its nearly the size of a standard mil spec buttpak..
    20201120_123008.jpg
    Here it is open/unfolded, with my onboard fishing kit and the 16 oz Nag for comparison.

13. DYSPHORIC JOY

I don’t particularly care for items that can get snagged but it is handy to have a backup.

58791263-3FAC-4F8E-B122-97CAC0587788.jpeg 9B8CE042-E679-4C97-8BEB-A8642DE0061A.jpeg

14. Andy the Aussie

That's a useful kit DJ

Lostviking, Mike Smith and Strigidae like this.
  15. DYSPHORIC JOY

There are quite a few useful tools in there. Belt carry in the rhododendrons my way would be aggravating I suspect. I haven’t field tested this setup at all yet.

The Marsh Gorilla, 5col and Strigidae like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Blackberry bushes would cause some issues here. In a pack is where it would shine. Still needs a suture kit though... ;)

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  17. DYSPHORIC JOY

This kit is definitely geared toward fire. Those fresnel lens packs from @5col are handy items also.

The Marsh Gorilla and 5col like this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

I like fire !!!!!

19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

if y’all’s blackberry bushes are anything like ours unless you are running for your life you would not consider trying to bulldog your way thru them.Your going to want a machete, at least an 18, preferably a 22, something that lets you maintain some distance.... The only critters I have ever seen get in them without damage are bunny’s and armadillos. ;)

20. Guillermo

Guillermo Member

What are the contents of your fishing kit?