Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

Got a wedding to go to this weekend. Outside. High chance of rain....

2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Bring a good Waterproof jacket and watch the fun unfold :)
    Rain is a heck of a way to keep the Covid #’s down!

TerryD likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Heck. Stay in your awesome vehicle. Honk for applause.

TerryD likes this.
  4. TerryD

TerryD Member

I'm going to go ready to make a dive for the truck and get back to the hotel room. Wife can stay and help and get soaked....

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Tomorrow I have to drive almost 4 hours For the wife to take a Covid test. Then 4 hours back home. (Hospitals in the state are not accepting test from other locations. The test must be done “locally”) (Just to see the speciality doctor you have to have a Covid test done before they let you in the door of their clinic.. But they are know as the best between Atlanta and San Antonio)

Then Monday I have to drive 4 hours back to the same hospital for her doctors appointment.. Which of course I cannot even attend. I have to Skype/ FaceTime with the wifey when the doctor is seeing her..

This $hit is crazy...

TerryD and BobbyRatTail like this.
  6. Black5

Black5 Member

Yup. Went through similar with the wife's surgery two weeks ago. Luckily, it's only about an hour and half each way, but we had to do a hotel for three nights afterwards. Then two return trips post-op.

They did allow me to stay with her in the surgery center after screening and with my mask. Didn't require a specific mask rating, just a face covering. Kind of like demanding specific rope, but Walmart carabiners are acceptable.

BobbyRatTail and IW17 like this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

Dang I almost got workman's comp. I went to sit down in an unused office to cool off and relax for lunch, and about busted my lip open on the stem of a artificial Christmas tree. It was sticking out of a box of crap they have piled up in here. I'm sitting next to a cheap 55" TV they got from a black Friday sale that they supposedly were going to give away last year.

I already had to rebuild the office chair in here after it flipped me out last year. I leaned back and ended up on the floor looking at the ceiling. But all of the wheels were still on the ground. There weren't any bolts in the front side of the seat base so the when I leaned back it just kept going.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Drew RedBear likes this.
  8. IW17

IW17 Member

Speaking of workman's comp. Has my knee surgery Wednesday. Went well but Holy crap this sucks. Once the nerve blockers wore off, it's been a constant throbbing pain. I really hope things start getting better soon. I handle pain pretty well, but I can barely sleep. I cannot wait until this is healed up. IMG_20200717_175958.jpg

9. ASH

ASH Member

I hope you recover quickly

IW17 likes this.
  10. IW17

IW17 Member

I appreciate the thoughts. It's 4-6 weeks recovery time. Hopefully it's sooner. I know I'll be stir crazy in no time.

C99c and Zeek like this.
  11. TerryD

TerryD Member

Glad it's fairly quick but don't rush it. You don't want to do damage to it before it heals and wind up here again in short order.

Adventurer and IW17 like this.
  12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

The drive stunk as expected.
    But I did manage to NOT run over a VERY large turtle( it looked to be almost 36+ inches or more, would of done serious damage and I would have felt really bad) at 70 MPH on the way up.
    AND then on the way back At 70+ mph I spotted a small grass fire on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. (Would have been a Long fire response time) So I doubled back and used all the drinks in my car and about 5 minutes of kicking and stomping to put it all out.( As cars continued to fly by and no one even slowed down to look of help.. WTF..??..)
    My good running shoes got a little melted. But it’s not the first time I’ve melted a pair of shoes putting out a small grass fire likely started by a smoke butt. (Looked like the small round spots I’ve seen before.....) I don’t care if people smoke. But I cannot stand when they chuck their still burning butts out a window..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  13. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm a smoker but all mine get put out in an ashtray or field stripped and put in my pocket. Unfortunately cigarettes and cigars seem to be one area even people who wouldn't otherwise litter, don't think twice.

JV3, Drew RedBear, C99c and 3 others like this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Yah... Its just frustrating as I can see how easily it can happen without thinking.
    It probably more frustrating thou when you see a obvious fire that a single person could likely put out from such a thing. And people don’t stop and try before it could get bad for others. But I’m thinking that’s living for so long in BAD wildfire country in my brain.

JV3, Drew RedBear and IW17 like this.
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Youre a good man, RMD.

Frigin likes this.
  16. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Surprisingly cigarettes start very few grass and wildland fires, as far as road side fires go, dragging chains and other metal bits hanging and falling off vehicles start far more. It is really a nightmare in rural areas when the conditions are right one trailer chain dragging or blown tire on a semi truck can start dozens of road side fires along miles of roads. Been on a few fires where you show up on the first one and you can see the next smoke column popping up further down the road and another one after that, better call DPS to see if they can intercept the vehicle causing the fires and get ready for a long night...

RocketmanDane and TerryD like this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

Went for a ride on the motorcycle this afternoon. I took my gf to a place called Burton Brooks Peach Orchard, a few counties from here. I was told they had really good homemade ice cream. We got there and they had signs everywhere saying old fashioned homemade ice cream. I ordered a vanilla cone and they gave me soft serve bull ****. I was highly disappointed, I took one bite and tossed the rest.

18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

That’s good to know. I have seen that small fires all down a highway before driving through Oregon and Idaho in the dry summer.
    The fire was spreading out nicely a few feet back from a stop sign in the center median of a divided highway. Spark would have to had to jump a long way off a vehicle on the main road. Tossing one out while stopped at the stop sign IMO was the cause.

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  19. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Ah that would make sense then for a cigarette butt, people are pretty damn stupid, especially this time of year, we did a burnout operation on a big fire the other day (lighting a small fire off a road in front of the main head fire in order to control the larger fire) and with the road flares I was using I didn't even need to touch the actual flare to the grass to get it going, just the sparks falling from it were starting the whole road side up.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Please:
    Good thoughts
    Smoke
    Fingers crossed
    Prayers
    You name it I’ll take it..
    Wifeys 6th and hopefully final surgery since February is in the morning. Some of you know the details. For those who don’t I’ll just say it’s been crazy Murphy’s Law craziness this year.. (Even without the Virus)
    BUT the good news is this is the 1st time I can actually go INSIDE the hospital! So no sleeping in the parking lot for me :)

It all goes well ( Fingers crossed :) ) BIG thing are in my future :)

Strigidae, IW17, BobbyRatTail and 2 others like this.