coronavirus prepping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CWB, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ASH

ASH Member

Went to the grocery store last night, they had sweet corn $4.99 for 3 ears. I just looked up the price of corn and they say it's up 300% in the last month.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  2. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

Going into cold flu season and winter I expect this will get worse before it gets better. Especially if the dollar experiences deflation as economists expect.

3. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I had a feeling that assuming the World didn't go totally ape **** crazy that no one was going to want to fly or stay in hotels or be able to eat out, but that eventually road trips and long distance travel would become the norm. That indeed has proven to be true. As a result, RVs, and travel trailer sales have gone through the roof.

We went to look at a (more boondocking capable) unit two months ago and had to make an appointment with a sales person due to CV and high demand. It indeed was the case, lots of deals going down.

Yesterday I went to Camping World to burn a $15 coupon. The RV place next door was void of Class Cs and Bs. Usually they are lined up along the Alcoa Highway, but nothing. No Travatos, Views, Revels, or Airstreams. There were some travel trailers and fifth wheels.
    These are mostly all new buyers/owners, so keep an eye out for lightly used units for sale in the future.

Consequently about three months ago I increased my holdings in Winnebago (WGO) and Thor Industries (THO). Pretty decent increase especially since I had purchased some shares about a year ago.

National Parks this year, particularly Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone, Tetons, and Glacier have been slammed.

We are about ready to venture out following our 5 month hiatus at home and winter return from Alabama in March. Social distancing is relatively easy when you are self contained. We are going to WI to see Son and Family out of doors. Then on to MI UP, and Northern, MI for a three weeks.
    If things aren't crazy again and hopefully families will be back in some sort of school mode we will venture west to Montana and Idaho and some of Wyoming before returning to TN in late September.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Adventurer likes this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

Anyone impacted by the coin shortage? A friend of a friend owns a couple laundromats and has had trouble in the past getting rid of quarters, the ladies at the banks didn't like dealing with the weight of $1000 bags of quarters. Now the banks are begging him for quarters, he's also selling several thousand a week to the owners of the IGAs in the surrounding area. The IGAs are rounding the totals to the nearest quarter.

5. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Yes, ran out of quarters today.

Out customers all have their own account, so we can round the change onto their account as a credit.

6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Went to a local lake over the weekend and the particular campsite we were in was completely full.
    Looking at the reservation site, it was booked up through September.
    October they don’t allow reservations it’s first come first serve, so we will see how that goes.

7. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

8. jeeter

jeeter Member

I've been carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me for years now, for everything from cleaning hands, utensils, minor scrapes, and starting fires. Does that make me a hipster, since I've been doing it since before it was cool?:p

Shenandoah too. So much for going into the woods for social distancing.:D

9. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

We have been in the UP of MI and northern Michigan which IS usually pretty active, its summer vacation time. Be interesting to see if things thin out after Labor Day, which is late this year. Maybe everyone's on a semi permanent vacation!!

TerryD likes this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

Nope labor day is not late, it is exactly when it should be. My birthday. Being born on labor day is worse than being born on February 29, I get half as many birthdays.