Epoxy as a handle question.

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Paycheck, May 4, 2020.

1. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I'm a weird dude when it comes to modding knives, I like DIY-ing even my very expensive knives. I ordered a Benchmade Altitude, but I am less than intrigued about the handle on it. It's on a sale at Blade HQ, and I like how thin the blade is. I would like to make a handle for it with more purchase and I was wondering about using one of those steel reinforced putty sticks. I do have a few questions, however:

Would it be tough enough for basic EDC tasks?

Would changing the ratios of base and hardener make it tougher? Let's say I remove some of the hardener part, would that make it less brittle?

What other ideas would you think for a handle? I suppose paracord would be a viable option on that tang, just don't know if it'll be enough. I'll try paracord before I commit to epoxy, if ever.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    The epoxy stick would not be a durable substance for handle material. Slabs of stabilized wood, micarta, g10, etc are cheap. Paracord would be the most inexpensive option.
    You could tape the blade off, soak paracord in five minute/ two part epoxy, wrap, tie off, and even build up thickness with more two part epoxy.

Paycheck likes this.
  3. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I might try that. I wonder if there is a DIY way to do a molded handle. Maybe melt PVC of Kydex shavings?

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Try to find something that you like and make a handle out of that. If you are a pool player get a pool cue and make that the handle. Just a thought.

Paycheck likes this.
  5. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

The epoxy needs fibers added to reinforce it. Micarta is just layers of linen, canvas, paper, etc epoxied together. You can add fibers and do a rough mold. Keep in mind that epoxy can be liquid or gel. Liquid will flow and gel is more viscous. Cotton from a cotton ball is a good filler fiber. Lots of YouTube videos on making micarta if you are interested.

Don't mess with the ratios of hardener to resin. Too little hardener and it won't cure fully. Too much hardener means less resin to be hardened, which is also counterproductive. Being a little off on the ratios doesn't really hurt anything though.

Bowtie Brien and Paycheck like this.
  6. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I've made my own micarta before, but this knife's tang is really small, so it'll just look like a stick. I want to create more real estate for a comfortable grip. I guess I'll see when I receive it.