Emergency fire kit

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Stayinsharp, May 3, 2020.

1. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I don’t know if anyone has thought of this idea so I’m gonna post it in a few forums. I’m putting one of these in each fire kit. Eseentially a waterproof self containing guaranteed fast flame. I know, a ferro rod is guaranteed spark. But the problem is that if your injured and have to instruct someone else how to use it, that could be life threatening. Even someone who isn’t great with a ferro rod can get a fire going with this in the rain.
    Gear necessary:
    1. Brand new Bic Lighter (standard size- the brighter color the better) $1.50
    2. About 12 inches of 550 fire cord. I got my hank of 25 feet for $4.99 and have used it to make several of these and lanyards for all my firesteels. So let’s just say about $00.50
    3. “Lighter leash”. Google it. It’s a Rubber or silicon keychain to hold standard bic lighters. Almost every gas station has them for about $3.00.
    4. About six inches of duck tape. Mine is skin colored so it can be used as a bandage as well but this is a great multipurpose tinder options as well. Would burn for about 3 minutes when cut into shreds. Price.... no idea. Everyone has duck tape.....

all in all, this is about 5.00 per kit. Much cheaper than the exotac fire sleeve and this has two types of tinder and is just as waterproof.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  2. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

I was gonna screw with you about how the Exotac glows in the dark, which when I've been drinking and wanna have a smoke, comes in pretty handy.
    But I won't.
    Nice piece of kit you made.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  3. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Could be remedied with the glow in the dark Lighter leash (almost impossible to find), glow in the dark nail polish, or glow in the dark duck tape. But good point brotha. Way to keep me thinking of ways to improve this bit of MacGyver’d kit.

4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Great kit. Baby one is smart.;)

5. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I have most of what you have in other fire kits. I like to have at least an Altoids size in every pouch including the first aid. This is what I carry every day though, besides the lighter I'm already carrying.
    Full size bic lighter, Trioxane Fuel Bar, quick fire tinder tabs, Waterproof matches and a tiny bit of fatwood. If I can't start a fire with these things, I need to stay home and never go out. It's also wrapped with a ranger band, which can be used as well. IMG_20210523_235814644.jpg

Chris Talley likes this.