Camping In A Borrowed Backyard

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by R Stowe, Apr 6, 2020.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

With social distancing, working from home, and everything else going on I've been working on skills at home, but also getting out to people free spots when possible. I headed to a friend's property that is currently living out of state for work, and I spent the night in the hammock in a section of cedars behind his house. I carried the Mountainsmith pack that I recently picked up. For a larger day pack I really like it so far. It held my tarp, line kit, quilt, hammock, food, and a few other small items. I carried the Tuff Possum Gear satchel so I would have something for exploring around the property.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a walk around the property, I stopped by a small pond and found that it was absolutely full of tad poles. Then I made a loop up the ridge and back down to my camp spot. I identified a number of plants along the way. Thistle, some cool moss, some sort of violet, dogwood, squawroot that something had feasted on, plenty of may apple, and one lone tiny morel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a quick snack and then set up a target for little sighting. I decided to take the red dot off of my Little Badger. I was pretty happy with the results at 10 yards. Then I took a shot with my new Sig. The first shot at 5 yards was as good as I could ask. I still ran a few more through it and was happy with the result. This pistol and RMR have ended up being a great combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. R Stowe

I got a fire going and dinner put together. The chicken and rice Mountain House was pretty good. I added some @RedEyedHog seasoning to give it a bit of a kick. I found a nice long sapling with a pretty serious injury/weird growth near the base so I decided to work it into a gig and take it back down to the pond. I used a survival card I got from Lester River and some bankline. I was happy with the result, but I found zero adult frogs. I could hear them in the surrounding woods, but I'm guessing they're some kind mainly terrestrial variety. While back at the pond I did stumble upon on a small cluster of fiddleheads. I headed back up to camp and turned in. I used my foraging pouch to hold my knife and pistol on my ridgeline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the morning I got a small fire going in the Firebox Nano to boil some water for coffee. After that quick meal, I cut a sapling to start working on a survival bow. I got a good bit of the shaping finished but needed to head back towards the house. I'll finish this up this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my thread.

3. TerryD

TerryD Member

Looks like a lot of fun!

I need a fire pit to play with camp fire and dutch oven cooking more around the house.

R Stowe likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

NICE!!!!!! Glad you had a chance to get out!

R Stowe likes this.
  5. Bozho

Bozho Member

Man, being locked in the city due to the quarantine can make me cry when looking at these pictures! Awesome!

The Marsh Gorilla and R Stowe like this.
  6. R Stowe

I have a pit, but admittedly this scenery is much nicer.

Sorry to hear you’re totally locked down. Hopefully this subsided sooner rather than later and you can get back out. I’ve also been studying up on plant ID, doing some carving, and reading some old outdoor books.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bozho like this.
  7. Bozho

Bozho Member

Funny thing is that only the major cities here are closed and I happen to live in one of them. People from smaller towns and especially villages can enjoy the nature.
    My CCW license is related with my permanent address, which is in the city, currently it is a bit of hassle to change it and mount a gun safe at another address, otherwise I would go to our house in the country side, just 7 km outside of the city. I will know better for the next quarantine :D

We have both a permanent and current address here. Currently both of them are the same address for me. I can go to my village, but every time I need to fill a declaration and hand it to a police officer.
    If my current address was at the village, I could travel from the current to the permanent address and vice versa without a declaration and since last year we can store our guns at the current address, which was not possible before. In theory I can still do that change, but I do not want to wait for hours at a crowded place - the gun and passport services - for this to happen :)

TerryD, The Marsh Gorilla and R Stowe like this.