Corona Virus Quarantine Projects, knife heavy ATM

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by mmbackpacker, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

As I found myself with four days off and more looming in the near future, it is time to prevent cabin fever and get a few projects done that have been sitting around waiting for time.

[​IMG]

Finished up a knife sheath I have had for a while for my 6HM. I just don't dig the stock black sheath or the big uninspired ESEE (sorry guys, love the knife though!) on the front. So I dismantled it, used it as a template, restitched the black one with red stitching, and made a new timber brown one. Works great, but I knew it would as I used the stock as its daddy. Black one will go in my sale pile to be posted at some time or another.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to make a sheath for the white corian handled woodlore clone (Adventuresworn blank)- but that'll have to wait as I have a bog oak/ copper liners/ copper Corby rivets woodlore clone, as well as a SWC blank with English yew/ red liners/ brass Loveless bolts (didn't even make the pictures!) and I might as well make all three at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Also in the lineup is a sheath for an Enzo Elver knife with thick micarta liners and really nice curly maple.
    [​IMG]

Still have to decide on what kind of sheath I want for the RC6 with curly birch...

And then I have a SWAK Fieldmaster I have been planning to re-scale with red liners and green micarta.

Down the line I have a Self Reliance Outfitters blank with birdseye maple, brass and red liners, as well as a Bogdan/ Bushcraft Kit Beaver blank that I have some bog oak and copper set aside for- but I am not sold that's what it'll end up with.

2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I had to start over on a fire kit so I got that together today. Gonna work a first aid kit also but I'm missing a lot so I'll need to order some. But it keeps me busy. Stay safe everyone! 20200331_101950.jpg 20200331_114201.jpg

Kaw-liga, Datilite, Frigin and 8 others like this.
  3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I have an izula 2 coming today, hopefully anywa , that I'll be working on, but I found this the other day so I may try my hand at making a sling shot. Unfortunately all I have is shock cord lol. 20200331_143714.jpg

Datilite, Strigidae and mmbackpacker like this.
  4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Didn't feel like working on the izula today but did a little paracord work instead. 20200402_184918.jpg

5. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Not really worth the pic buut i stripped an old heavily used black rat 1 folder i use for work and it looks brand new again. Laser etched logos display perfect still .

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Didn't come out as good as I wanted. I'm still working on the patina though. 20200403_173841.jpg 20200403_173855.jpg

7. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

Drew RedBear likes this.
  8. TerryD

TerryD Member

Not knife related but got the diffs swapped in my Xterra only to find a bent passenger side rear shaft.

Efforting a replacement as we speak. Daggone those lower gears made a heck of a difference in the way that thing performs though.

Datilite likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thanks and don't have any potatoes unfortunately.

mmbackpacker likes this.
  10. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

I had a 1st gen Xterra, great rig!

TerryD likes this.
  11. TerryD

TerryD Member

Mine is an early 2nd gen. I've had all of the big issues and still love the rig. One of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned!

mmbackpacker likes this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I also picked this sasquatch sized walking stick up. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet but gonna put the knives to work on it. 20200405_175720.jpg 20200405_175746.jpg

mmbackpacker, Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Redid the first aid kit earlier also. 20200405_120008.jpg 20200405_120227.jpg 20200405_121836.jpg 20200405_130719.jpg

14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Kinda cheesy but I wanted to get the gun off the table so I used an esee box and mounted it to the side. It's ugly and took all of 3 minutes but it's functional. 20200406_105704.jpg

15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Well I safely ventured to Lowes, I did the curbside pick up, but got a few tools (craftsman woo hoo!). Got a 16oz craftsman hammer for $8, a saw, wire strippers and a 6 ft shelf. This tiny little room needs some major organizing since she likes to keep buying crap we don't need and have no room for. Our room is maybe half the size of a regular motel room and so small that I had to put the TV on the dresser next to the counter (kitchenette area) just so she can watch it.

16. TerryD

TerryD Member

Pork butt over oak.

20200411_063610.jpg

17. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

I have wanted to make a selfbow for a long time- probably 20 years- and finally purchased an osage stave. It has really tight rings, so it is more of a grind, scraping instead of peeling with a draw knife at this point. I am really enjoying the methodical scraping and thinking through the process however, and my forearms are definitely getting a workout. I am using an old, oversized draw knife and both my Junglas, for large area scraping, and my RB3 for more of the detail areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also been knapping some, the black is natural obsidian, the green one is the bottom of some liquor bottle and I am still working on it.

[​IMG]

Got out with my kids for some fly fishing and canoeing. Catching sucked, but the scenery and company were great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

Also been working on a stacked birch bark handle puukko, specifically the sheath. I have been wanting to try a "no stitch" style of Scandi sheath. Tricky, and I don't have it yet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JV3, IW17, The Marsh Gorilla and 4 others like this.