coronavirus prepping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CWB, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

9 hens and 2 ducks. Got some barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, ameraucanas, a khaki Campbell, and a Peking.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Delkancott, Zeek and Adventurer like this.
  2. IW17

IW17 Member

Which would you recommend? Any real difference in them other than looks?

Zeek likes this.
  3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Na they’re all pretty cool and lay well. If I had more room I’d get all Khaki Campbell ducks but they make a friggin muddy mess with the water. The ducks eggs are so much better IMO that it would be worth it. The Ameraucana’s (Easter eggers) lay the pretty ones.

JV3, TerryD, Delkancott and 2 others like this.
  4. IW17

IW17 Member

That's what I've heard. We have the room and a pond, but everyone I know with ducks says they're a mess. Sucks, since I love ducks. I've been looking at a straight run of either Rhode island reds or buff orpingtons.

ManOfSteel and Zeek like this.
  5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Do it. The ducks are cool and their eggs are fantastic. Any of the straight runs will be good for you for egg layers.

IW17 and Zeek like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

Don't you guys have predators?

I got so many around me and they're all hungry, especially this time of year.

The Marsh Gorilla and Frigin like this.
  7. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

they’re penned in. 4x6 coop plus a 10x10 outdoor run that has a roof over it. I also took measures to make sure they couldn’t dig under it or reach through the fence at them. I’ll show pics later for sure if you’re interested. My whole setup was about $2k but it could’ve been done for half. (Wife wanted the coop to match my house)

The Marsh Gorilla, JV3, IW17 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

We tried a curbside PU Grocery here in east TN. They substituted a few items...like a gallon of milk for a half gallon.
    They did have eggs, good apples and bags of oranges. No TP or any sanitizers of course.

May try the "Senior" operating hours 7-8am at one of our local groceries next week. Trying to be careful but fully realizing that if this drags on for months there is no way to crawl in a hole. Could do it for a few weeks and maybe even a few months if things got real ugly.
    Still have the Mountain House containers, dried goods etc. Lots of beer, and likker.

Expect the unexpected. We have two people living in our lower level living space that were caught in the CV mayhem....long story, medical issues, can't go back to FL for 90 days for medical reasons. They did find a place to rent and will be out of here in 10 days …… but it does stress the supplies.
    His/Her firepower is limited to a couple of Glocks so I'll give them a couple of boxes of 9/40 and a loaner 12 gauge.

Is this the apocalypse where we go out with a whimper and not a bang!!

Delkancott and TerryD like this.
  9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I am pretty set on food and supplies but i wish i had a decent handgun to go with my 12ga semi-auto....and some silver

TerryD and Drew RedBear like this.
  10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I keep some silver. I think it would be the first currency.

TerryD and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  11. TerryD

TerryD Member

We have three daughters between 8 and 13. We've tried to convey the severity of this situation to them but without scaring them.

The first thing we've done is just describe the situation and why we are taking the steps we are to be prepared.

Tonight I watched a couple episodes of the old Doomsday Peppers show for giggles and the little two sat down with me and watched. They asked some questions and we talked about basic preparedness like making sure the doors are locked at night and some other basic stuff.

Not that we're the most prepared in the world but we also believe there's merit in having a positive outlook. One of our family traits is that we will figure out what to do. It's what we do, we solve problems.

I'm proud that they are taking this seriously and working with us to make sure we're ready for what we are expecting to face at this time.

12. Frigin

Frigin Member

@TerryD hardest part with kids is keeping food in the darn fridge and tp in the house lol. They don’t stop eating and crapping. I mean I could go months with what I have saved here but my kids I’m at the store every other day.

@OutdoorsFamilyMan
    Well not that I think you would need it but no one knows. But if you lived near me I’d toss you an extra one. I’m a fan of helping a fellow good guy out! mall the gun stores here had to **** down because them deemed them non essential.......yet the bicycle stores are open.........hummmm

TerryD likes this.
  13. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan
    Well not that I think you would need it but no one knows. But if you lived near me I’d toss you an extra one. I’m a fan of helping a fellow good guy out! mall the gun stores here had to **** down because them deemed them non essential.......yet the bicycle stores are open.........hummmm[/QUOTE].

MA logic right there! I always wonder how people like you can live with the politics of that state. I imagine there are MANY more like you than the media and the politicians would care to admit. Cheers to you sir!

Frigin, IW17 and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

@Chris Talley
    While I wholly agree with what you are saying (as would most here) I would caution you in regards to the discussion of politics of any sort. It’s a zero tolerance policy with an immediate ban from the forums. Unfortunately there were a few people in the past here that liked to bait people into emotional, name calling arguments so the powers that be decided to just make this a politics free zone. I figured since you are relatively new I would let you know. You post here regularly with quality content so I’d hate to see you banned. Take care and God Bless

15. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Tonight I tried boiling water in my fireplace, converted to gas logs. Just to see how it does.
    Did fine, now I know incase electric goes out.
    [​IMG]

IW17, C99c, Drew RedBear and 3 others like this.
  16. jafo

jafo Member

i stack silver for this reason and I do double duty with it by making it sort of like challenge coins and gifts for my sons. Im somewhat disillusioned as a result of the market for it recently or I suppose its fair to say that I think the market for silver is phony.

When the virus response started, the price of silver crashed and every major reseller immediately marked their entire stock as sold out. Then they shifted to selling their junk(not junk silver but actual high priced, low value collectibles) and now the price has recovered a bit and they are listing presales for future delivery at 5 dollars over spot.

The excuse is that they can't get any stock which would be fair except for the rapidity with which they all dunked their own stock and the fact that they arent paying a premium over spot for purchase. There is still value there but its somewhat suspect imho.

TerryD likes this.
  17. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

Thanks for the heads up! I have read the forum policies and understand them, I was just not using my head last night! It’s good to have friendly reminders and I’ll definitely remember in the future! Thanks!

18. TerryD

TerryD Member

Well, one of the things I used to help with that was explaining that if it gets bad (TP for example) and we're having trouble getting supplies, if you eat it today you can't eat it tomorrow.

That's slacked up a little but still working on it. Not only from a preparedness standpoint but also a general health standpoint. They need to learn better portion control (as I do as well) and learn to limit their sugar intake.

C99c likes this.
  19. Frigin

Frigin Member

@TerryD I here you thats a good convo to have with them. My older one understands people are sick so I can’t bring them to the grocery store for the time being. But told me dad noooo I need this many squares to wipe my pee (about 15-20 squares lol) I told her when we run out of tp because she pees 10 times a day she’s going to have to use dry leaves. She told me no go get more. Hahaha. There 2 and 4

C99c and TerryD like this.
  20. TerryD

TerryD Member

It's definitely more difficult with younger ones. The older ones pick up on logic and planning more but then you have to try to keep reigns on a logistical planner.... ugh...
    It's a balance between raising a strong willed functional adult and not wanting to strangle your strong willed child...

Frigin and C99c like this.