Survival rifle, a new look at the scout rifle concept.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stewart, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Stewart

Stewart Member

Well guys,

Im on lockdown, and will be for weeks as we get through this virus outbreak.

Im sitting here cleaning my guns and its got me thinking about Survival rifles.

So in lockdown, supermarkets etc are open but its got me thinking about what if we had a complete breakdown and the power went out for an extended period or supply chains stopped and we had to become completly self reliant as a community.

So I live rurally, we have a heap of deer, goats, hares , rabbits etc.

Im not hugely concerned about defense but as always its a prudent move to consider it.

So what would the rifle I have with me at all times for gathering food, defense and general use look like?

Jeff Cooper and the scout rifle concept I feel address this quite well but it certainly doesn't address everyones situation, region even country .

So lets chat! where do you live? are you in an apartment? on a farm? in the suburbs?

What rifle setup, calibre, action type and optic would meet your needs in a realistic lockdown situation?

Im still considering mine so more to follow over!

2. TerryD

TerryD Member

Well we technically live in the suburbs but it's one of the smallest cities in the state and it's right in the middle of the George Washington National Forest. There's great hunting and fishing within walking distance of our house.

Having grown up on a farm in the middle of a farming community my choice would be a 30-30 lever gun.

First it's not an exotic caliber. Just about any little country store you walk in to is likely to have a box of 30-30 in some flavor on the shelf.

Next most of them are not finicky about cleanliness. They'll pretty much work all day long and can be easily cleaned or serviced.

Lastly, they are low key. Especially one with some basic wooden furniture. They don't hold the stigma of a "weapon" the way some other platforms do.

The Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and Mossberg 464 are all great examples and are reasonably affordable and available.

3. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'm in the woods of NEPA.

My grandpa's Winchester Model 54 in 22 Hornet. With a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus.

Cuz I can hit sheeit with it and it's relatively quiet.

4. Stewart

Stewart Member

I love this! Very practical choice. I'm not a semi auto fan for anything other than full SHTF so Ive been thinking of either a lever or bolt gun.

TerryD likes this.
  5. Stewart

Stewart Member

For me my criteria is the following,

Short and handy.

Reasonably light weight and easy to carry in your hands for long distances.

An intermediate common calibre. For me this is either a 308, 223, 3030

A reflex site like a red dot or low magnification scope.

Over here suppressors are legal so it must be suppressed.

If its a bolt it should be mag fed from a reliable system or easily top loaded with a with a large and easy to access ejection port.

If its a leveraction it must be able to be side loaded.

@TerryD made a good point, I like the idea of a non tactical looking gun, something that doesnt draw attention.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    C99c and TerryD like this.
  6. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I'd probably choose a stainless Ruger Mini-14 in with nice 1x4 scope maybe? Something like this? Doesn't have the stigma associated with AR-15s or other assult rifles, has a high capacity magazine, and the stainless factor could be a nice benefit.

[​IMG]

Prodieus, Kevin and TerryD like this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

I would want something easily suppressed, subsonic and easy to carry. Either a .22 with something like a AR or AK pistol for backup, or a pistol caliber carbine and a side arm that could share mags. I would prefer the AR over the AK because it could share a suppressor with the .22 and is easier to mount an optic.

8. Stewart

Stewart Member

Interesting, what sort of habitat are you based in?

9. TerryD

TerryD Member

My Dad's Winchester 94 has a ghost ring on the back of it. I've always liked those for "quick to action" and not requiring power.

My Mossberg 464 has fiber-optic sights and while they work get in lower light, they also aren't great for over 50-75 yards. I've rung steel at 150 yards with them off a rest, but I would have to be getting desperate before I tried to drop food at that distance with them.

Stewart likes this.
  10. dunefoo

dunefoo Member

I’m thinking a short suppressed AR with a 1-4 optic would be ideal.

Stewart likes this.
  11. ASH

ASH Member

Rural on the outskirts of a small town of about 5000 people. Mostly flat, farms and woodlands, No large predators, no need for real long shots, have plenty of deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, pigs, dove and quail.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    ManOfSteel and Stewart like this.
  12. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Mine is my Ruger .308 Scout with Leupold IER 2.8x forward mounted. And the back up iron sights. I prefer the 10 round Magpul mags. Factory loads are Federal 165gr GameKing SBT's.

It would work against any 2 or 4 legged threat. I have a suppressor and sub-sonic ammo (handholds) for it so it can be quiet when it needs to.

To me, the scout is the best all around rifle out there. But I realize those of us who think so are in a pretty small camp.

goon, Datilite, Wisdom and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bozho

Bozho Member

Given the ammo availability here I would definitely choose a 12 gauge shotgun and a civilian AK type rifle, as 12g shells and 7.62x39 rounds can be found easily. You can use them for home defense and for hunting. A red dot sight on the AK would be nice.
    Since I don't have a hunting or a sporting license yet and therefore no shotgun or rifle, if SHTF I would rely on the 9mm Glock and a crossbow.

Solo and TerryD like this.
  14. daizee

daizee Member

Marlin 336 in .30-30 with XS scout rail, ghost ring sights, and currently a Redfield scope.
    Compact, fast, accurate, plenty powerful, not overbore for its 20" barrel.

Other version would be 20ga semi-auto for versatility.

Most likely? I need to shoot a rabid coon with the .22LR or a woodchuck with the .22 air rifle.

TerryD and ASH like this.
  15. ASH

ASH Member

I'm not positive, but I think we are talking about a EDC type rifle here, not a only rifle. I think most of you are way over gunned for the application. The op never said you can't have a big bore rifle near by, I just don't think that is what I would want for Edc.

16. TerryD

TerryD Member

I understand your point completely and I think it's valid. And depending on your location a pistol may indeed make more sense.

My wanting a short "scout" lever rifle comes from growing up on a farm and carrying a rifle in the truck or on the tractor. It's useful for taking game as well as dealing with animals in your livestock or shooting a ground hog out of your fence row.

You would be hard pressed to catch me without a pistol in general and I think that's probably the case for most of us. Also the OP did mention rifle in the title.

Stewart likes this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

I agree, I didn't mean pistol only but a edc type rifle. I also meant in addition to a truck gun. The op didn't say you can't have more than one rifle.

TerryD likes this.
  18. Stewart

Stewart Member

Nothing wrong with the scout rifle, my main hunting gun is based on it.

I think it pretty much nails the basic outline of a good multi purpose rifle.

TerryD likes this.
  19. Stewart

Stewart Member

Another great point, I like short barrells and short actions for getting in and out of vehicles.

TerryD likes this.
  20. Stewart

Stewart Member

So far guys heres my thoughts

Short action bolt gun in 223 with a 1/8 twist barrell cut to 16inches and a DPT magnum suppressor installed. Then it can share ammo with an AR and its cheap and easy to come by.

For the base rifle I have an old remington 700 .222 rem I could rebarrell and modify. I would keep the wood stock and glass bed it.

Another option is a Browning X bolt, their micro action in 223 is slick and it has a detachable mag that can be top loaded.

I did think about a CZ 527 carbine but you cant top load them and due to the CRF action they prefer to feed off the mag.

Tikka is out as they only do a long action.

Last option is I have found a marlin 336 wood stainless made in 2008 with 20 rounds through it that is tempting me.

Thoughts?

TerryD likes this.