Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

You can buy cases of bacon at US Foods Chef Store and Costco.

2. ASH

ASH Member

2 people in Atlanta confirmed to be infected. They live together and one just came back from Italy.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@C99c
    I completely agree on the “we” factor. I try to fall back to the CDC and other similar organizations for news and numbers on stuff like this. Main stream media is a no go IMO for this type info. Just pick a big name news ORG (CNN, WP, Fox, etc) and scroll through their ongoing coverage. I like to sort by newest info first and read down to older news. Just in 1 day or even in a few hours their reporting can swing back and forth on “new info”. Even in the time it takes me to calculate numbers and write out a comparison numbers seem to change.

I admit to being a closeted epidemiologist of sorts the numbers, patterns and the hunt have always interested me :) I like to track this type of info out intellectual curiosity and very little out of fear and panic ( There are far crazier and dangerous bugs out their to worry about. :) )

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Full panic mode in Sydney today.... stopped at the supermarket on the way home tonight....

Pasta/Rice shelves....
    ZA 2.jpg

Toilet paper and hand towel shelves....

ZA 1.jpg

Kaw-liga, Frigin, JV3 and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

I am going to start robbing the cubicles at work and putting it up on eBay at $50 a roll !!!!

6. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I dropped a few bills on some supplies, if I don't need them then I will still use them.

My wife is gonna hate me eating all those beans, they might actually need masks.

Frigin, dhunley1, Bozho and 5 others like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Im pretty sure if this shows up locally we (locally) are all $crewed!... We have the seasonal “crude” or “sickness” ie Humidity, Heat, Salty Air, etc. all combined to make a lot of people sound like lifelong smokers... SO any type of bug is simply written off as “the sickness” and it spreads rapidly esp through the local schools... For example we are talking half a grade school including teachers out at the same time last year with the flu... etc..

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

Yeah, I filled up the freezer in the barn fridge with things we normally eat anyway. I thought about buying some sandwich meat, but bought a spiral ham instead. We'll still be eating good for a while.

10. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Stopped at our local Walmart the other day and they were out of Masks and those backpacking dehydrated meals. Bottles of bleach were starting to run low but other than that fully stocked. It is hard to believe those pictures @Andy the Aussie. I'm assuming there is enough other food on hand, just the pasta and some of the other foods than be stored a while are sold out?

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I work at Lackland AFB. If you’ve been following this story you know what that means. I can tell you all that “quarantine” is a joke. It’s been such a mess at work.

12. Andy the Aussie

....only think in short supply has been rice, pasta, toilet paper (and now hand towel - not as soft on the butt though effective) and hand sanitiser. It's just the masses feeling "helpless" and lashing out.

JV3, Strigidae, Kaw-liga and 2 others like this.
  13. Boker55

Boker55 Member

Read an article saying everyone is more likely to face issues of panic rather than pandemic.

Which Seems to be the case for now. So it’s hard to draw the line between being prepared and becoming one of the people panic buying. I’ve made sure I have enough on hand to keep things normal for several weeks should something crazy happen. I went to the Costco by work the other day which is just outside of Atlanta. It was an absolute madhouse. My first time going there so I have no frame of reference if that’s always the case. But every cart I saw leaving had cases of water.

14. Kevo

Kevo Member

Good chance that's just Costco. Last time I was in there I had to elbow my way through just to get in the freezer section.

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@mwramos76
    Just wait until the Post highschool graduation / Summer surge of BMT troops arrive... That is already a respiratory disease nightmare time BUT add all the “quarantine” people on base... It will likely be BAD..

16. Frigin

Frigin Member

Costco is probably the same as our bjs it’s normally carts full of water and people ramming people. Those places are always madhouses.
    youd like to think most people are “prepared”. But probably not the case. I like to just normally be prepared for the stuff that always happens every year. Storm. Snow storm ice storms. I wish the masses would just be more prepared all the time then people wouldn’t have to panic buy. Just normal buy. And maybe an extra case of bacon or two to make them happy.

17. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Governor of Utah declared a state of emergency today.

1st case of the virus was also today....that we know of

18. C99c

C99c Member

The next month will be a big clusterfck with spring break trips and then those students returning to campus.

There's usually a lot of sickness in the aftermath anyway. Even if cases of this stuff are low it will have to be sorted out from the "I drank for a week straight, didn't sleep and rubbed against 500 hundred strangers" medical issues.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  19. olderguy

olderguy Member

I made a corporate decision last night not to throw away my 3-5 gallon containers of water so I could buy the same product in little clear bottles !!! I was also quite dismayed that the stores were running out of hand sanitizer until I remembered I had about 20 bars of hand soap.
    I guess there's no hope of ever reaching snowflake status :(

20. ASH

ASH Member

My girl friend needs hand sanitizer for the snowflakes that visit her barn. I had to dig a old bottle out of my shed that I used as a fire starter for my smoker. I told her I needed to get a coin operated dispenser for it.