Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I need my ESEE 3 HM to get here before the Apocalypse gets here, I need to make some feather sticks :)

2. jafo

jafo Member

my nephew is a manager at a sams club near pittsburgh. I was curious if people would be stocking up and he sent me their sales numbers for the day. A normal saturday does 200-250K. He said they were at 300K by 4PM and on pace to do at least 400K for the day. So it sounds like people are taking it seriously to prepare for a storm at least.

3. Frigin

Frigin Member

Yeah **** if I ran a store I’d have a banner up saying. Get your **** here before zombies come lol

4. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Truth Passes Through Three Stages: First, It Is Ridiculed. Second, It Is Violently Opposed. Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident

Chris Talley, Strigidae and Boker55 like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

This couple flying from Brisbane to Hamilton Island know the drill....

covering2.jpg

JV3 and Strigidae like this.
  6. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Was at Home Depot for other stuff today and just figured I'd take a walk past the dust mask section to see what it looked like, maybe grab a box of N95s. There was only one or two of the individually packaged ones, wasn't about to pay six dollars for one or those. I have to think that the majority of the people buying out things like dust masks are doing it hoping to resell at a major profit if things get really bad. I dont see a complete collapse happening so I am just waiting to see what happens, the local cow, hog and deer populations will sustain me for quite a while if it gets that bad... Probably a good excuse to go pick up a couple cases of coors light though, slightly tastier and more nutritious than water.

Frigin likes this.
  7. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

There is no doubt that this could go sideways in a hurry from numerous angles beyond the virus. I think it is wise to not be a frog in the pot.

Hygiene etiquette is key at this point and self quarantine if the situation dictates. It is difficult to battle an enemy that is unseen.

8. ASH

ASH Member

I bought a 10 pound box of bacon tonight, it was hard not buying 2 though.

Frigin likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

20200229_232624.jpg

Bluelew likes this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Backwoods Runner
    If you are looking for masks checkout you local paint store.
    also I can’t find the link but the CDC has a whole approved list of masks that are supposed to be “safe” for virus use. I would google CDC mask or PPE guidelines.

Also IMO the reason officials are not recommending buying masks is lack of wear knowledge. You can have the fanciest masks out there BUT if you do not know how to wear them properly then they are just wasted..

@DYSPHORIC JOY

IMO Everyone needs to review a proper hand washing technique literature.. minimum of 30 seconds or a good slow version of your ABC’s maybe even x2..

11. Andy the Aussie

I love this virus shyte......I can walk around the shops wearing my overalls and S10 and no one bats an eye at me these days.... :D

ASH, Frigin and Strigidae like this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

I went back and bought another box tonight, I wanted to get 2. It's hard to resist bacon for $1.60 a pound. A few weeks ago the cheapest bacon there was $4 a pound, so I splurged and got the good bacon for $5 a pound.

BigJake and Zeek like this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

I'm not sure if your overalls are the same as our overalls. Are we talking Larry the cable guy bib overalls or a chem suit.

14. Frigin

Frigin Member

@ASH holly bacon. Where the heck you getting 10lbs at a time

15. Andy the Aussie

.....black nomex/flame proof with a flash hood over the S10.... :D

16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’m going back to what I said before for to keep things in perspective..

“US CDC say that at-least 15,000,000 people have contracted the seasonal flu in 2019-2020 flu season. Of the 15,000,000 cases there has been at-least 8,200 death from the seasonal flu in 2019-2020. That is a rate of approximately 1 fatality per 1,829 cases”

That is still I think around 1,500 times more cases of the seasonal flu.

But the approximate fatality rate is still I believe 65 times worse for the Coronavirus..

**(I haven’t crunched the numbers recently to see if those numbers have really changed much..) **

Perspective ...

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

Piggly Wiggly, it was on sale for $15.99 a box. It's the irregular sliced but most of the time it is hard to tell.

18. C99c

C99c Member

The problem is that at this point "we" (as in the general public "we", I'm sure there are many exceptions ) don't have good numbers to make a comparison to anything. China constantly changed their accounts through the first month or so of the virus spreading and the recent activity there seems to indicate that there were more originally infected that they thought or that their initial response was slow and/or ineffective. Possibly both.

Unfortunately, until we get a large area of infection in a first world country with both folks who have an already weakened immune system and those who are healthy, and see how that plays out we may not know how bad it really is.

All my friends in the medical field are just hoping it waits till late Spring or early Summer to spread here as there is a very good chance that it may overwhelm a lot of area's resources, especially if the flu is still very active.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    RocketmanDane likes this.
  19. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Here are 3 sources knowledgeable on the topic.
    Chris Martinsen w/ peak prosperity

Dr John Campbell u tube

Mike Adams Natural news

Do your own due diligence .

20. JV3

JV3 Member

i still get my water from the faucet most of the time.

as for the virus we now have the first case in manhattan...only change to my routine is now i put alcohol on my hand/s right after i ride the subway or push a door open as opposed to before i'd wait until i get to my office to wash my hands.

i'm still drinking multiple times a week to maintain a high blood alcohol level though as a last firewall :D