Cameras AKA the way we help Remember and share what we have Seen

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....we shall just call it the "ICBM of Love" ... :D :D

JV3 and RocketmanDane like this.
  2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

What’s everyone’s opinion on a Canon

EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...ultra-wide-zoom/ef-s-10-18mm-f-4-5-5-6-is-stm

Main Unit Spec
    Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
    10-18mm 1:4.5-5.6
    Lens Construction
    14 elements in 11 groups
    Diagonal Angle of View
    107°30' - 74°20'
    Focus Adjustment
    Rear focus system
    Closest Focusing Distance
    0.72 ft. / 0.22m
    Filter Size
    67mm diameter
    Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
    2.9 x 2.8 in., 8.5 oz. / 74.6 x 72.0mm, 240g

@shaneadams90
    @JollyRoger523
    Maybe?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. Andy the Aussie

I'm am not at all familiar with Cannon gear mate.

A couple I snapped out while in the bush a couple of weeks ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Those are awesome!
    Especially the Hedgehog?

I have been trying to really dig into and understand more about photography. A lot of it I just scratch my head at.. I honestly value the opinion of those who have field experience with gear over over the textbook description.

I love framing/ setting up shots. I just struggle with how to best capture it..

5. Andy the Aussie

.....Echidna, like all things Australian - highly venomous and aggressive !!! ;);):D

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

That is kinda of lower end kit lens....meaning it's not going to be particularly fast at F4.5... One of my FAVORITE lens for Canon are the 50mm f1.4...I absolutely love this PRIME lens and it's SUPER fast and very affordable. It's not as wide as what you are looking at but 10-14mm won't be a lens I would personally be pulling out very much as there are so many Fisheye photos I want to take....

Personally I would rather have a 24mm Prime lens that has a fast Fstop and I would find that much more useful.

7. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

What do you intend to use the lens for?

If you're looking for a wide angle (really an ultra-wide angle) lens for landscapes, then that lens should do you just fine for now. You'll be stopping down to smaller apertures anyways.

Your style of shooting may be different than mine, but my experience is that I didn't use an ultra-wide angle as much as I thought I would. I have a 12-24 mm and found I very rarely used the wider end. I was almost always towards the longer end. I eventually got a 17-40 and found that suits my own needs much better.

If you're wanting the lens for other purposes, you may be happier with something different.

8. Andy the Aussie

..... I had and foolishly sold (though at great profit) an 18-35 that I used more than about any other !! It took a brilliant picture !!

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@JollyRoger523
    I don’t have a particular use in mind. I have take. So many photos with my iPhone that the Camera is a step up. I like to throw my camera bag in the car and if I see something Interesting stopping to snap a quick photo.

SO versatility is important in the next lens I get.

@shaneadams90
    I have looked at the 50mm lens. There are 2x of the 50mm lens but in f1.8 locally for sale. Not sure on them thou.

There is also a 24mm 1:2.8 I’ve looked at locally.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Found locally a Fotodiox Pro Autofocus 2x Teleconverter - AF Doubler x2.0 which Converts my 70-200 into a 140-400. This doubler goes on the lens side of my converter so I don’t have any additional cropping factor :)

I read a number of mixed reviews but the price was right :) If nothing else it’s a fun toy.

So far it’s looking good especially on the low end( 140)

11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Been working with my 2x doubler and it seems to work pretty well. This is not going to be a lens that I am able to shoot unsupported thou. Going to have to start carrying my monopod atleast to get better photos.

Also in a random twist I was able to get a Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens today. I have been shopping around for a camera body to gift to my mom and spotted a price is right Canon 60D on FB. The guy asked if I wanted a lens that he was petty sure was broken. Sure why not :) Scrubbed the contacts shiny new looking and it works perfect :)

Not sure what it’s going to be good for BUT it’s small enough to toss in and try out.

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8

Main Unit Spec

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
    24mm 1:2.8
    Lens Construction
    6 elements in 5 groups
    Diagonal Angle of View
    59°10'
    Focus Adjustment
    Full lens extension
    Closest Focusing Distance
    0.52 ft. / 0.16 m
    Filter Size
    52mm
    Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
    Approx. 2.7 x 0.9 in. / 68.2 x 22.8 mm
    Approx. 4.4 oz. / 125 g

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I took 1400 ish Photos tonight at a Mardi Gras parade.. 95% of them turned out blurry junk... BUT the ones that our good are AMAZING! Really am going to need to rethink my lens choice for low light/ low light with bright objects around...

13. Andy the Aussie

Within reason it is as much about the camera settings as the lens mate. Low light and action are difficult to balance, you need to find that sweet spot of ISO/Aperture/Shutter get that and even a mid range lens can take a decent pic. If the lens aperture is not big enough you will need to compensate with ISO, it will only get you so far but that may well be enough.

Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie
    Luckily I had enough time (3hr parade 40 floats mixed in) that I had time to fiddle with more of that. I am going to have to sit down during daylight and Pre create “modes”. On the fly tonight just showed me I have a TON more to learn about what my camera is capable of..

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

But and SO I managed to snag a “lot” of lens tonight.

Includes at least: ( I believe that at-least 2 more are also IS)

Canon EFS 18-55 IS
    Canon EFS 55-250
    Canon EFS 75-300
    Canon EF 70-210
    Canon EF 80-200
    Canon EF 35-80

@Andy the Aussie @shaneadams90 or anyone else Do you by chance know anything about the lens I listed? I’ll probably keep the first 3 EFS lenses for sure.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  16. Andy the Aussie

There are Ford guys and Chevy guys. In the same way there are Cannon guys and Nikon guys.... I can’t tell you anything about Cannon mate (except to annoy you :D)

17. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

EFS lenses should fit Canon crop sensor cameras only. EF series will cover a full 35 mm frame but will also work on a crop sensor.

I think the EFS 18-55 is the standard kit lens that came with a lot of cameras.

I don't really know anything specific about the lenses listed. Canon has some different lenses that have the same focal length, but varying quality. I remember reading long ago that one of their 80-200 versions was king of the hill in its day, although it's older technology now. If it's the right version you may have a real keeper there.

18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie
    I honestly have no loyalty to one brand or the other then I have a canon currently. That doesn’t mean a Nikon isn’t or won’t be in my future depending on my ability to adapt my set up. I currently have 2-3 lens that have been working well for what I need. But if I need to change lens I might also look at swapping cameras if the lens are that much better.

@JollyRoger523
    After a little more research it looks like a couple of them may be pretty decent for stationary subjects in manual focus good. But it does not look like the would be to good for moving targets in auto focus..