Hollow Handle Knives and Other Classics (All Randalls Qualify)

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Beautiful knife and sheath

Sam Wilson likes this.
  2. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you!

Delkancott likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

This is going to end up costing me money....!!

STPNWLF, Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  4. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

No worries, mate. I don't care what continent your money comes from. Let's throw another shrimp on the barbie, pip pip cheerio!

STPNWLF likes this.
  5. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Also, finished the M9 up and got some good photographs. More will follow. Feedback is welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sam

Josh, Bluelew and Strigidae like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

....so you are happy to accept tanned Kangaroo Scrotums as payment !!! Brilliant :D

STPNWLF and Sam Wilson like this.
  7. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Veg tanned or chrome tanned? Big difference...

STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

I can do 'em how you want 'em... ;) Occasionally you may also end up (with our current fire conditions here) with an "arsonist scrotum" in the mix.... they are smaller and only for novelty value.... :D

Sam Wilson likes this.
  9. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Oooohh, a Daily Double!

10. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

[​IMG]

Hello, I recently finished this knife up and wanted to post it here, both to get feedback and to have info posted as a reference.

This is my new M9 prototype, and is part of the M.O.A. System family of knives (Make it Out Alive). It has an 8" long blade out of 1/4" stock in stainless (440C is standard, CPM154 is available). This model features a two-tone finish of aggressive hand rubbed bevels contrasted with media blasted finish on the rest of the knife, and precision cut sawteeth for ripping and tearing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is ground thin to cut deeply, and has a full flat grind and convex edge to aid in that direction. The guard is an asymmetrical shape to allow actual comfortable use of the blade, and all edges, including in the choil/ricasso area (except for the spine) are radiused for comfort. The guard is press fitted and then silver soldered in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handle tube and cord ring (to prevent the cord wrap from sliding or unraveling) are made out of stainless as well, and the handle compartment is watertight. The buttcap is made out of aluminum to preserve weight and balance, but also sports a unique feature that I offer in the way of having a stainless steel plate permanently fixed on the end. This allows the buttcap to be used to hammer or strike with, without gouging the softer aluminum.

Instead of putting a compass in the buttcap, I prefer to thread it so that it will accept a range of accessories I make and offer for the knives. Standard equipment is the ferro rod for starting fires. It threads into the cap so that you have a secure purchase on the rod while striking it. I also offer a sail needle and sharpening rod, both of which thread into the cap in the same fashion. I machine a divot into the cap for use as a bearing block while using the bow drill method of fire starting. No space wasted, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sheath is heavy duty, and features a drop leg swivel attachment so that it pivots with your leg, instead of the pommel of the knife poking you in the ribs. There is a pouch with a tin for additional supplies, and behind the pouch rides a PSK (Personal Survival Kit) knife in stainless and blasted to match the primary knife. The PSK knife is an optional feature. This can obviously be used for any finer tasks, and all edges are radiused for comfort.

[​IMG]

I could keep going, but you're probably tired of reading by now, if you've even made it this far, ha! Please feel free to leave questions, comments or feedback. Thank you!

Sam :thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Andy the Aussie

Not at all tired of reading !!!!! That is a thing of practical beauty.... !!!!!!!!

Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  12. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you! If you've got time to waste, I produced a video all about the features and design philosophy of the M9 for just that purpose. Enjoy!

Strigidae and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

....tonight !! I have to ask....did "Gaston444" approve the design.... :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:p:p That was heartless of me I know... :p

14. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Lol, good question. Unlike him, I don't like to keep 10" of hardened steel down my pants, so I'm not sure what he would think about it. :rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Sam

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Ha !..... and you made the sheath brown..... you will recall he decreed that brown sheaths are not nearly as waterproof as black ones....

16. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I remember him saying that, and thinking what an odd idea that was. I really wonder where some of his "conclusions" came from. If nothing else, his whole saga serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of making assumptions from a sample size of one or two. Usually doesn't work out!

17. Andy the Aussie

I could never decide if he was actually a really well versed troll or had mental health issues !

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  18. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I don't know that "mental health issues" is a rich enough term to encompass that whole situation. But he sure knew how to ruin a good knife!

19. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

A SAFE knife recently finished. I will post more pics soon. Got a video coming, as well. This model is such a workhorse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedback welcome.
    Sam

20. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

And here are a few more of this SAFE System (Survival Adventure Field and Exploration).

This one features a blasted finish, asymmetrical guard with lashing holes, steel plated buttcap, Basic Survival Kit, and blade of CPM154 stainless steel. Sheath has a pouch and belt loop that opens with a Lift-the-Dot snap, is fully lined with calf skin for a quiet and smooth draw. Very functional!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020