Question re: black oxide finish vs. powdercoat

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by TheGreatGrackle, Nov 21, 2019.

1. TheGreatGrackle

TheGreatGrackle Member

Hey, folks.

Earlier this year I was gifted an Esee 3 w/ the black powdercoat. I love it. I mainly use it when car camping.

.....And yet I still have the "bug" and want something a bit smaller.

As I consider the Izula II, I have searched the forum for the term "black oxide" and found the threads re: speculation as to chemical composition, food prep, etc. Yet I cannot find a thread specifically about the pros/cons of each finish.

Some of you indicate that there is less friction with the oxide. What other benefit is there? I am full-on OCD, so I keep my powdercoated 3 oiled pretty regularly. My specific question would be whether one offers better rust protection than the other.

Finally, (not on the same topic, but perhaps germane): my main uses would be car camping with the family and quite a bit of backpacking. I don't need a Candiru-sized blade for packing, as I have some small ones already.

Thanks, guys.

2. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

I currently have a pr4, cleaver and izula 2 all with black oxide. I have had zero rust on any of them. They all get regular use. Keep them mostly clean and dry and you will have no problems. In addition to having less drag while cutting, I feel the black oxide shows less wear than the standard esee coating.

3. TheGreatGrackle

TheGreatGrackle Member

Thank you for the input! I'm obliged!

My wife is asking me what I want for Christmas, and I'm prepping for an eye roll when I say, "Another knife."

Cheers.

hma153, Mike Smith and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  4. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

Yeah, I get the same eye roll from mine.

5. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

We use a cold process black oxide so it is a copper selenium process. The coating only gives a very slight resistance to corrosion. It does give you more cutting efficiency than the textured powder coat. I personally like it a lot better than powder coat since the less drag I get on a blade when cutting, the better. As far as food prep, I will use it for food prep but just know it is not certified food safe so we do not suggest using it for any food prep.

6. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

So are the O.D.green blades not as slick as the black blades?

7. Mudman

Mudman Member

Both work the same for buttering toast imo.

8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Thats all I use my Esee's knives for!! My rc3 that has it is still on Special Asignment at a Chihuahua Ranch !:rolleyes:
    So I asked Jeff.

9. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I was completely opposed to the idea of black oxide coatings on my ESEE's. I had used the powder coated blades for so long that my initial thought of the BO models was "that's probably a stupid idea." I ate those words after giving one a try. I have 4 now with the oxide finish. They hold up fine with just a little more maintenance (lightly oiling) and perform better IMO. Being able to scrape tinder and strike a ferro rod with the spine of my knife is worth it alone to me. This little CR 2.5 is what changed my mind. It goes with me daily in my work bag in case I'm gloved up and don't want to fumble with a pocket knife. It also makes a great neck knife on the trail for meal prep, feather sticks, and fire starting. IMG_20191207_100106732-01.jpeg

10. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

I have never seen enough difference between cutting efficiency of powder coating and black oxide to notice. A sharp knife is going to get the job done equally well regardless of what coating is applied, my opinion.) Probably more important are other considerations like sharpness, model of knife used for a particular application, etc..
    As far as food safe, we have eaten food that was prepared with some really nasty cutting tools so coatings generally don't figure into it for us. .))
    Mike

11. Black5

Black5 Member

The only difference I've noticed is that I often get little slivers of wood imbedded in the powder coating if I baton with the knife.

I run some 800 grit paper over both sides of the blade until the powder coat feels smoother, and go on about my business.
    I have both coated and stripped blades and this is the only difference I've seen personally.

I prefer my wife have coated blades because to be honest, she doesn't pay as much attention to them as I do.

FAL'ER, Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  12. camoguy

camoguy Member

Based on this answer, I’m going to ask for a black oxide Izula for Father’s Day. Thanks for your response.

13. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

That's the straight gospel on that score.

The Marsh Gorilla and Black5 like this.