Need honest opinion about Esee knives.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iain, Nov 30, 2019.

?

What Esee knife would you use if you were me?

1. Don't bother with Esee brand

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Use Esee MH

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Use Esee none MH

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Iain

Iain Member

Hello.
    I will try to keep this short and to the point.

I am homeless and living in the Arizona desert I live off what the desert has to offer s0 good equipment is important to me, but currently I been getting rid of my worn out equipment, and this also includes knives and a machete and a gun.

Both my hand's have extensive damage, 3 fingers missing on my left hand, and 1 off my right, (I'm left handed)

I would like to get an Esee knife, after watching countless reviews, however the problem I'm having is the knife handles "From what I can tell" From knife reviews from youtube, and other sources.

Either they look too skinny but with plenty of height or they look too small, but rounded, that will fill my hand but not enough... IE the MH Knives.

I would like a Esee knife that is about 8 inches.

What I'm asking is does anyone have the same problem's or feel the same, I'm not really looking for a Fan boy's to answer, but this is an Esee sight, but I do need an honest opinion before I buy, if I can't use a peace of equipment then their is a chance I would go hungry or face other difficulties.

And what would you suggest I use from the Esee brand?

Im currently looking at other makes as well, but would like to buy an Esee knife.
    My budget is $600 for replacement knives, and a machete.
    Sorry I kept this long.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You are going to have to get them in hand. No one can tell you for certain how it will work for you.

3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Pretty much what Strigidae said. Everyone's hands are different and with you having damaged hands, you really need to get them in hand to feel what is best for you

shaneadams90 likes this.
  4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Iain,

What you are asking is just about an impossible question to answer given your situations with your grip. I don't see how anyone's opinion will matter simply bc they don't have the situation you do. I grew up with a father that was a physical therapist, even played in a wheelchair basketball league, so I am a little familiar with your situation, limitations, prosthetics, etch...

I would think that a narrower grip may be an attribute in some cases depending on what you have to work with. The only correct answer I see is that you will have to get them in hand to see for yourself. We have a very active community here and you may find some one close to you.

You might also check on the groups on FB as it is a MUCH LARGER group of people spread all all over the country.

Hope this helps in some way.

Strigidae and Drew RedBear like this.
  5. Iain

Iain Member

I do realise how difficult of a question it is, it is impossible, if anyone can put some pictures of the handle, against a standard object from the top and behind the handle and to the side so I can see the width length and thickness of the of an Esee handle, and hight, it would resolve a lot of problems with the aforementioned question.

I do realise any knife I choose will NOT be perfect for my hands, because my hands are not normal.

If I can please please have some picture of the knife handle, from the side, top and behind the knife, against a standard object, say a cigarette box, I would be able to valuate better, measurement's mean nothing to me, as I don't own a tape measure and are hard to visualise.

Problem is, every review I have people show off the capabilities of the knife, and thus, they hold the handle, thus covering up what I need to see.

I recently bought knife from another high end company, I'm not sure if I'm aloud to say the name of the knife brand and type of knife, but they show cased on their web site how the hand works with the handle, and I bought sed knife, and works fine with me, however it is a very expensive knife, and TBH I don't want to spend $280 on a knife again, the knife in question will be very hard to sharpen due to the curvature nature of the blade.

I need a second knife, if I break a knife out in the desert or something happens to it like losing it, I will go hungry.

If anyone can post some pictures of the knife against a standard object like a cigarette box, It would mean a lot to me.

Im running out of time before I'm forced back into the desert, due to the people who I'm staying with will soon want me to move on.

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

This guy here on YouTube, shows the dimensions of the handles. His humor is different if you can get passed that lol, but maybe it'll help. He hasn't done all the esee knives but he's done a few.

7. Strigidae

I dont smoke. What else can we measure it to?

8. Strigidae

This will help!!! A pack of Marlboros measures 8cm x 5cm x 2cm!! Take that to the web and find your new knife!!!!!

9. Strigidae

So if my math is right a pr4 is 2.825 packs in length. You'll need an inch to centimeter conversion chart or calculator online.

10. Iain

Iain Member

Thank you for the link to this youtube channel, it has helped immensely.

The width of the handle looks way way to narrow for me to hold properly, TBH looks way to narrow for any person, but what do I know.

The handle length looks to small, and uncomfortable but I never held this peace of equipment, so what do I know.

Defiantly a very informative channel.

Thank you

11. Iain

Iain Member

Do you have a Bic standard sized Bic lighter ? not the small one, or the novelty super sized one.
    If push comes to shove a AA battery will work, but a larger thicker Bic lighter would be more better.

Thanks for any assistance.

12. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Here's a couple of pics for you @lain
    This is a standard ESEE 6 with TKC scales
    IMG_20191130_134259.jpg
    IMG_20191130_134336.jpg
    When I get back to the house I'll get same pictures of my 6HM and standard ESEE 4.
    But I'm thinking a ESEE 4HM might best suit your needs, plus you can modify esee's handle's etc and not void the warranty.

Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  13. Iain

Iain Member

This looks much better than I expected, Im not sure on the length of the blade in the pictures but to make life simple for all I'm looking for a blade of 6-8 inches.. any less cutting up cacti (very evil plants) would be almost impossible ( usually ) done with a machete :) Any longer.... probably not bad, but I really don't like carrying heavy object through the desert, often I have to traverse cacti fields, and the bigger the thing strapped to my belt the more difficult it is..

If you can please can you post pictures of Esee knives that have a blade length of 6-8 inches.

Im interested in all handles Esee has to offer.

Thank you again for the Assistance.

14. Strigidae

Bic lighter is 3” x 1”. So thats 2.9666666666666666666666666667 bic lighters in a PR4.

shaneadams90, Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  15. Iain

Iain Member

I used to be good at math, really good, but not any more, been surviving in the Arizona desert for 5 years, no math needed to survive, unless you count in walking time and direction to water. even then it is only a rough estimate.

Thats where my watch and compass come in, and reading a mercator map...... something else that needs replacing (sigh) my map and compass and watch.

But thanks for the information, but a visual representation of the knife handle is what I need more.

Even Albert Einstein used visual representation's.

16. shaneadams90

Just cyphering thru this but it would seem to me that if you have FEWER fingers that a narrower handle might help you hold onto something better....versus a thicker, larger scale. just working it thru my brain. maybe if you include some pics of your hand holding a knife that might help....

As for them being too narrow for anyone I checked a recent serial number and we have sold nearly 75,000 E3s alone...so it's working for someone.

When the pr4 came out we heard a lot of nay sayers about the handle early on....then when it hit the market people loved it.... I always find it funny when people throw off on a product yet they have zero hands on time...

Drew RedBear likes this.
  17. Strigidae

Put 3 bic lighters down in front of you. Thats a pr4. Simple right?

Drew RedBear, Zeek and shaneadams90 like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Member

I only have 2 bic lighters. :oops:

Bozho and Strigidae like this.
  19. shaneadams90

Do you have a pack of cigarettes or AA battery..... evidently @Strigidae has the measurements for all sorts of household items...

Strigidae and Drew RedBear like this.
  20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I only have two bics also but here are some size comparisons to the esee 5 and dpx hest (only knives I have at the moment). 20191130_194416.jpg 20191130_194313.jpg 20191130_194305.jpg

Strigidae likes this.