New Boot Day....

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....always fun strapping a new pair of boots for the first time, this time it is however a little bitter sweet.

Some my recall the catastrophic boot failure I had one the first day of a ten day hunt (choppered in and left to our own devices) in New Zealand a couple of years ago. Well thank all that is good for superglue as it saved that trip for me !!! But it did maybe rightly maybe wrongly jade my view of what until that point were my favourite brand and model of boot (Zamberlan Civetta GT). Now I had a pair of these that did 5yrs and untold kms walking without issue, the pair I wore to NZ were my spare set, I used them for those round town functions and when I travelled for journeys not hunting related (the hunting books were a bit gnarly looking ), but when the NZ trip came along I decided not to "risk" being stranded by my old boots :eek: and decided to retire them and move the clean. tidy and broken in set to my hunting boots.....and then they let me down, they are @$450 a pair so I was "annoyed".

In response once I was home I shopped around, read up and ended up buying a pair of Lowas that I am VERY happy with. No complaints at all.

As for the failed set that got glued and tapped up in New Zealand, for the last two years they have soldiered on as my around town and working round the house boots. I added a little windscreen sealant, as when the sole de-laminated water was flowing in, and they have been fine, but I would have never trusted them for a trip.

A few days ago, the sole finally let go for good (yes maybe I could glue them up again but I honestly could not be bothered) so I needed a "new" set of round town/non-hunting boots. Well I didn't need to actually buy anything, remember I said how much I liked the Zamberlans before that incident.... well I had another new in box pair stored here at home (in fact I may have two NIB pairs but I am honestly not sure)...so last night I got into the water/air tight boxes I store such things in and fished out a pair....time to lace them up and break them in. I honestly still could not bring myself to trust them on a trip where they were my only boots but they ARE comfy !!!

So today....

[​IMG]

Mike Smith, Flex, Ballenxj and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Damn this pair is comfy.....interesting, they are the same size nominally as the pair that failed but are totally different on foot to what they were, these ones literally feel like I could add my inserts (I wear custom orthotics) and walk all day in them. The last pair felt more constrictive and like they needed breaking in (especially around the little toes)....they never did feel quite as good as the oldest pair .....hummmm.....maybe they were mis-sized or something..... ?

Mike Smith and Strigidae like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Do they not come with laces? Or did you take em off for paracord laces?

4. Andy the Aussie

They come with laces but they don't ship laced but they are now :D , I normally use the factory laces on my "round town making women folk swoon" boots and then put 550 cord in my hunting boots...... I spent most of the day in them around the house and to the shops etc yesterday which was interesting......they are REALLY comfortable....right out of the box. I do now really think the middle of the three pairs I have were wrongly sized or made. They were not this comfy right out of the box (just checked them and they are labelled as the same size as both other pairs - 45H) but when I was breaking them in - and wearing them while training with my big pack loaded up - they were still tight on my little toes (I have great big wide EE or wider feet/flippers) but this pair are not at all....[​IMG] Anyway.......very happy I have a nice pair of boots to wear around. I know the EXACT precursor sighs of the sole failing so will be listening/feeling for that for a bit I am sure though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Strigidae and Stewart like this.
  5. Cut it out

Cut it out Member

21C6FD07-7F29-45D0-91DA-03D5F0D165F7.jpeg 4EF1D1F1-95C0-4FA6-BC9E-0DD374CE92E2.jpeg DA1F79A4-0F04-401F-8EE8-5D7751D8AD2B.jpeg I have to admit I have a boot fetish. Lol. I own A lot of boots! These are my fav for hiking specific. These are USA made Danners

KnOeFz, Mike Smith and Strigidae like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Cut it out likes this.
  7. Cut it out

Cut it out Member

I like them to but gotta have gaiters around here with the amount of snow we get. But even with taller boots I wear them so nota big deal.

8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

So I've been boot shopping for what seems to be a year now....I have a pair of 20+ yr old Vasque Sundowners that have about as much lateral support in them as a pair of Converse All stars...on their 3rd sole....they just are relegated to mall hiking and foul weather duty...
    59105531035__6CCDE785-3535-4973-8B5D-8EFE3490092D.JPG

My Salewa are just flat worn out...insoles are so compressed they've become harder than woodpecker lips and hurt my back after standing them all day....they' ve had hard use for the last 5-6 years and a LOT of use in the last 2.5yrs since coming on board with RAT/ESEE

DSC_5491.jpg

For lighter duty boots the Salewa Mid Trainers have been great boots and do well on mixed surfaces and slick rocks. I've seen Jeff and Patrick struggle on slick rock with their Asolos where these boots have just seemed to have much better traction....I've swapped insoles several times....but the time has come....they will still see some light duty use after another new set of insoles...
    IMG_8311.jpg

So I've been on the hunt....trying on boots and doing my research....Recently Zamberlan came out with a HD hiking/light Mountaineering boot that just seemed to fit the bill....and I went for it....gonna be breaking them in over the next little while but they fit and feel well and I am pleased with the workmanship thus far...

2092 Mountain Trek GTX

IMG_6016 copy.jpg

IMG_8494 copy.jpg

IMG_3540 copy.jpg

Double Tongue
    IMG_8059 copy.jpg

9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Danner Acadia. 8". A more comfortable boot I have yet to find, literally wore them till the sides were busted open (7-8 years). Expensive but dollars well spent IMHO.

10. Andy the Aussie

@shaneadams90 they are a good looking boot !!!! I would not have hesitated to take my new ones anywhere were it not for that "event" in NZ. Wearing the new set around I am starting to think the pair that failed were bad from new but just hung on. I am sure they will serve you well....and if you were here with us I am sure no one would mention the pretty colours on your boots... :D

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Bozho

Bozho Member

I was extremely happy with Chiruca Torcaz

[​IMG]

I had them for 7 or 8 years and wore them all year round as hiking boots, also each winter as urban boots when there was snow, rain or it was really cold. Awesome and durable, 100% waterproof boots - funny how the sole deteriorated on me when I was returning from a rather rocky peak - it literally fell apart. The rest of the shoe was in really good condition.

I need to get a new pair of these bad boys.

KnOeFz likes this.
  12. Cut it out

Cut it out Member

CF040AD8-5318-46C2-91D3-166E02C806B8.jpeg E12089A3-A1BF-41B9-A68A-BF2CFEB0DCE8.jpeg 30CB9108-02BF-4F0A-8EDC-AC4CEA383816.jpeg I have a pair of pronghorns that are another fav pair I have. They have lasted years and still kicking it up. Danner does make a good boot. I want these special Filson grouse hunters so bad. Lol. I told ya I had boot issues :)

13. Byrdman

Byrdman Member

I'm not a big camo guy, but that bottomland calls to me:D

14. McKROB

McKROB Member

I’ve had mixed results with Zamberlans, I’ve had half a dozen pairs over the years and one pair outright failed me a few years back, not the typical sole delamination, but the soles seemed to almost spontaneously develop some sort of structural failure which resulted in hundreds of small holes (cracks?), almost like I had stepped on a bed of nails, they leaked like a sieve. I returned them and they gave me a brand new pair under warranty.

All of my Zamberlans have taken a fair bit of time to break in, with my most recent pair being the exception, my new Tofanes were comfy out of the box, and I love that they’ve gone back to the Norwegian welt with this model.

Asolo Powermatics are another great boot. Here’s my last pair retired and properly nailed to a tree as is customary in my profession .

E8865CD9-0F05-48CD-A5AF-7C53F7B0EEDF.jpeg

Strigidae likes this.
  15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I have always been a Danner or Rocky boots fan. I use to need safety toes for work and they seemed to have the widest safety toe I could find. They also seemed to “age” very slowly. I have probably 3-4 pairs-of the safety toed ones hiding around the house. I no longer need them but it’s hard to get rid of a good pair of boots that have stayed in extremely good and extremely clean looking condition.

16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I just inherited a brand new pair of Zamberlan Mountain Trek boots. Not sure how well I'm going to like them since I've only worn them for half an hour. Time will tell.

Strigidae likes this.
  17. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

The Zamerlan 981 Wasatch will be my next boot.

Zamberlan 1016 GTX in shark camo for now...

[​IMG]

KnOeFz and Strigidae like this.
  18. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’m wanting a pair of Filson Uplanders for daily wear. I typically wear that style of boot. Anyone have any experience with them?

19. OfficerLucky

OfficerLucky Member

4A3AC56F-8FBB-4DC8-93B8-4904DDC5ABF2.jpeg 3E971546-F104-4C1D-A8F5-74D0FA43D91A.jpeg I’d like some iron rangers for non work wear but. I may have a problem :)

20. Clown

Clown Member