4th gen v8 4Runner or 5th gen trail or trd pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twiztedmind, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

i currently have a 4th gen 4Runner limited v8 4x4 and love it. I like the 4x4 system in my 4th gen quite a bit but recently I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a 5th gen either trail trail premium or trd pro. What do all of you have? Likes and dislikes? I really like my v8 and the 7500 lb towing capacity and full time 4wheel drive with the locking center diff because I can drive it locked or unlocked.

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id say if you like it and it works for you dont change it.

mtngoat, hma153 and Twiztedmind like this.
  3. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

True. The only issue with it is it’s getting up in miles 218,000 now so I’m thinking something newer with less miles. My wife and I are planning on hitting the road full time next year when she finishes school and is able to work from anywhere we have a WiFi connection so we need something reliable. I know the 4.7 v8 Toyota put out is one of the most reliable engines they made but miles are miles.

4. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

I’ve already put several $1000 into it recently. New tie rod ends new ball joints both upper and lower brand new front brakes new rotors calipers and pads new bilstein 5150 shocks all the way around and leveled out the front end had the 4x4 system serviced with all new fluid new alternator. I change the oil every 3000 miles rather than the 4500 Toyota recommends and use full synthetic. I’m sure there’s some other things I’ve done I’m forgetting.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a keeper to me. If it fails you then go buy a 5th gen. :)

Twiztedmind likes this.
  6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Buy a new Land Rover or a Jeep before you sell it. After a little while of owning either you will go back to your old 4Runner and beg for forgiveness and never let it go again.

Nowhere, Twiztedmind and Strigidae like this.
  7. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Nothing but a 4Runner for me. I owned a newer Jeep Cherokee before my 4Runner and it had so many issues it was ridiculous. 20,000 miles on it and it was in the shop every other week and for weeks at a time. So it went bye bye! I always wanted a 4th gen 4Runner so I got one. But after looking at the 2014 and up 4Runner trails I’m really liking them quite a bit as well. When we go on the road full time I’m sure we will be on some trails and roads that are challenging to get to see all the things we want to see so the trail edition would probably serve us well. But then again my 4th gen I’m sure would do well also.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  8. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Which 4Runner do you own Jeff?

9. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've got the TRD Pro. Love the thing but pissed at the aftermarket Icon suspension on the front end and the 100 percent, totally worthless, piece of junk BFG KO2 tires that's on it right now. I will never buy another BFG tire or an Icon suspension part.

10. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Personally I think fox are one of the best suspensions you can get. I watched a video on YouTube by a couple called lifestyle overland and their icon suspension front shock actually broke at the top in half. The BFG k02 tires get really good reviews. What is it you don’t like about them if I may ask?

11. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Here’s the video where their icon shock broke at the top mount.

MKZ likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....... you do actually have some redeeming traits after all.

And yes....tell us more about the issues you had with the BFGs ? I have been running Coopers for the last @19yrs now and have found no "reason" to change but was looking at maybe putting the BFGs on my trailer (as they are significantly cheaper than the Coopers at the moment here - screw you exchange rate !!).

Twiztedmind likes this.
  13. artigas

artigas Member

I’d say ride it until it dies. Sounds like you’ve put good money into it recently.

Strigidae and Twiztedmind like this.
  14. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Yeah probably about $3000 total

15. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm in Andy's boat. I run cooper's exclusively anymore. I just wore out my ATW's. They were a fantastic tire. A true winter rated tire that you can run year round. They didn't have those in stock when I picked up a hunk of metal on a jobsite and destroyed one, so I went with the at3 4s. It's a new model that's more geared towards year round weather. I've not had a chance to play in the snow yet but so far I have zero complaints about mud, rock, and rain. And Cooper is generally priced much lower than most other brands, while being USA made. At least around me.

Twiztedmind likes this.
  16. artigas

artigas Member

Yeah, you’re more likely to get your money back through driving than a sale. Run it into the ground, and when that happens 5 years from now haha, maybe Toyota will have a gen 6 with more ponies under the hood when compared to the gen 5.

Twiztedmind likes this.
  17. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

Nice to see another Utahn on here.

artigas likes this.
  18. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

You sound like a 4th gen v8 kinda guy. Haha

artigas likes this.
  19. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

In my opinion Toyota should have never gotten rid of the v8 option in the 4Runner. Let’s face it,people don’t buy 4Runners for fuel economy.

20. artigas

artigas Member

I’ve got a gen 5 right now. I like it, but the engine is lacking some power that I think Toyota could easily remedy. I haven’t been in a 4th gen before, but i bet I’d like it.

Twiztedmind likes this.