HPG In Use

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

There is more to this story than the two photos tells.....

My son and I walked up on this boar directly below our hunting blind.....the words "danger close" come to mind...Luckily my son is very proficient with a firearm and he put the FIRST round of 308 into this boar at roughly 10 yards with the 250lb+ boar quartering to us.....I was able to access my 629-6 in (44mag) with ONE hand (my other hand was full of camera/huting gear) in my HPG V2 kit bag and put one more round into this guy as he was moving towards us at 7 yards....he turned just as Jackson put one more in him and he dropped....DRT.

To say it was a "tense situation" would be an understatement for sure....but I was glad to have quick, one handed access to my gun....the Kitbag design works...

DSCF8569.JPG

HPG Original Kitbag V2
    DSCF8608.JPG

2. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Awesome story...I bet the HPG boys would love to hear/use that story.

3. shaneadams90

I shared it with them.....I was EXTREMELY glad I had this set up on me.....I was SUPER hot (106 degrees) and I ALMOST didn't wear it....but I'm glad I did!

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The pocket slings are up on the HPG website. Got one for use while fishing to make a tara a sling bag.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. shaneadams90

The Umlindi with the Aston Panel and SAR kit bag continue to serve me well as a Search & Rescue pack. I've been very pleased at the versatility of this set up and it has worked in a number of applications/trainings/live search/etc....

70255698_2373649979516312_9127264339651198976_n copy.jpg 70796666_2373650186182958_954655712460406784_n copy.jpg DSCF9046.JPG DSCF9048 copy.JPG

6. Strigidae

Ive been fly fishing out of the Tara with a kit bag for fly box etc and its perfect. The Tara carries waders, water etc no problem.

Mike Smith, mtngoat and shaneadams90 like this.
  7. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

New Ute should be here Wednesday. Pulled the trigger after looking at it for years as I have a 6 day backcountry trip coming up and the northwest in late September plus having to carry some extra work gear for the duration of the trip was going to max out the ultralight bag I have been using for backpacking for years. Will post pics when I get it, super excited!

Strigidae likes this.
  8. shaneadams90

The UTE is a pack I continue to study....I WISH it was a Top/Panel loading pack...I really like that quick access of a panel loader. I have a number of HPG packs and also packs from other makers so I can't justify another purchase.....but I could move around a few items and see what happens....post up some pics when you get it!

mtngoat likes this.
  9. Strigidae

Im on the fence about a UTE or the Decker... Both look awesome and it seems there are more possibilities with the Decker.

10. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

For everything I do, I haven't found anything yet that beats Mystery Ranch's tri-zip design. Makes it so easy in the field getting to your gear quick, or simply loading from the top. I'm about simplicity as much as possible. The more pockets and stow points the worse it is on me trying to figure out where I put stuff. About the only "organization" I want is in my chest rig, thus why I switched to the Coaxsher.

5col, Mike Smith, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  11. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

Trying the Tarahumara as a pocket on my Mystery Ranch mule. Liking it so far. Both packs are new to me. Kinda, I had the Tara before but sold it.

1992F063-AC29-4EAA-94BD-705D0A0AAFF6.jpeg 0CFB1D55-ECE8-4C24-89B7-35CE90C42E96.jpeg 7FA125A1-6F9C-4999-9746-401E107AC122.jpeg 8EDAF884-3E96-4028-99E5-065CFFFD0267.jpeg

12. JMick

JMick Member

Hammer is that a BOT and an Emberlit? Which model?

13. Strigidae

The mountain serape has been a great addition to my camping kit. Ive got a 50 degree quilt and adding the serape got me down to 30 degrees easily. Id venture a guess i could go down further by another 10-20 degrees but i sleep pretty hot. Hunting out of it is nice and it is as warm as a coat however the arms do get drafty as they are not covered as much. Also if you run your arms in the serape they can be warmed up easily just dont expect to get them out in a hurry when your quarry walks by. The sound of the fabric isnt bad for nylon. Its soft and doesnt swish much at all. The draping helps camo out the body form so that is helpful especially for ground hunting which i do alot. Over all it is worth every penny and i expect to use it until i wear it out. I have the medium but the large might cover more arms and legs. I was being a weight weenie and went medium.

14. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

I got a 3-Day Assault Pack from MR based on your recommendation, and I've been pleased with it. Was wondering if you're still happy with the Coaxsher. We haven't reached out to them yet, but I think we might.

Mike Smith likes this.
  15. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I have been giving heavy consideration to the HPG Mountain Serape.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated!

16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Extremely happy with the Coaxsher. Most of the NC techs are still carrying the HPG chest rigs but a few of them have swapped over to Coaxsher since they are more radio friendly, and also have other front pockets so you can access critical gear without having to unzip the rig.

17. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

20200122_172625.jpg New EDC bag. Umlindi with an Attache laptop case. Perfect for the office, woods, and anything in between.

18. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Took the family for a short hike, took the heavy recon for quick access to my gun in the woods. I am a huge of being able to have all my important items within easy reach also. 3DB726A0-96BF-43B6-A551-A066F1E26A62.jpeg 0A4C509D-E6B4-460B-8C87-0CC129B31068.jpeg 2702B7D3-0F97-40D1-AE8F-E87ECC506AEC.jpeg

19. C99c

C99c Member

Anyone handle the new waist pack Kit Bag or Junction yet? I might be in the market for both soon.

20. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

I talked my wife into a mountain Serape for my B-Day last summer and got to use it during a very cold October Mule Deer hunt in central Idaho and a late rut hunt for Whitetails in northern Idaho. Both hunts were very heavy on sitting and glassing early in the morning and again in the evening. The Serape was a great addition to my cold weather gear, it is very warm, light and easy to pack up into a relatively small stuff sack when it's time to move. The Serape made it easy to sit for long periods and glass in the cold which can be an exercise in pain tolerance. I also believe that it does a great job of breaking up the human silhouette. It is good enough that 2 of the buddies I hunt with swore they would have one before next season. One other thing I really like is the ability to use it for warmth or shelter if you got unexpectedly caught out overnight. Not cheap but definitely worth it for this kind of hunting.

Strigidae and BobbyRatTail like this.