August Challenge 2019

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Augusts challenge will be about tourniquet application. You will apply a TQ to an arm and a leg under time.

Heres how it'll work. You will have you TQ in front of you and ready. You will hit a timer and get it on your DOMINANT arm and twisted down to occlusion then time stops. You will restart for a leg and do the same thing. Remember that the arm or leg getting the TQ cannot move or help in any way. Post your times and fastest person wins a limited edition patch as well as the brand new RAT full color patch.

Good luck and don't forget to take the TQ off. Also if you have a medical condition preventing you from doing this then skip it and catch next months. Be safe. Be trained. Survive. If you don't have a TQ then now is a good time to purchase one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Adventurer, C99c, Bushman5 and 4 others like this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo Member

This is a great idea for a challenge! First time I tried "1 arming" a TQ, I was really surprised at how long it took.

For those who have never messed around with a TQ, check out: https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/

You can use the class finder to get yourself into one of their free, or cheap, classes. In my neck of the woods these classes are usually taught at different fire departments and the EMA garage. FEMA also runs a version of this class that may be available.

I'll get off my soapbox now and go dig out my CAT and SOF-T trainers.

R Stowe, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Some training at recent Gathering:
    Not applicable to this competition.

C99c, Kevo and Strigidae like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ill be using my non dominant left hand to apply my TQ to my right arm (dominant rm/hand) , but as for the leg application, my right leg still gushes blood from internal stitches that keep ripping (at work) ,so i'll be applying a TQ to my left leg.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

@Kevo send me a private message with your address. I want to send you a few patches for your soap box time. Well said.

6. Kevo

Kevo Member

Will do! It's much appreciated.