Recurve for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by C99c, Jun 25, 2019.

1. C99c

C99c Member

There's a public access archery range near my college. Also, lots of public land where I can just go and shoot.

I've been wanting to play around with archery for awhile now because, well, useful skills are useful. Plus, the limited shooting I've done in the past has been fun. Now I'll have some time to kill during the week and plenty of places to practice.

I'm looking for a good recurve for a beginner. Would love to stay at or around $50 if possible. Used is fine. Telling me to just go grab something from a big box store is fine.

I welcome any suggestions, criticism, insults, cowboy and Indian jokes, etc.

@Mountainmistwanderer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Mountainmistwanderer and Zeek like this.
  2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I will get back to you on this. Busy at work right now.

C99c and Zeek like this.
  3. Mountainmistwanderer

Sorry for the long delay but I forgot to respond with work being so overwhelming. For $50 your best chance is on the secondary market. You should invest in a takedown/ 3 piece bow. This will give you the ability to swap out limbs to different weights so what is most important is to get the correct sized riser for your size and draw length. 3riversarchery.com is a good online store but ain't nothing better than supporting the local shop.

Zeek, C99c, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to poke around a couple of the localish shops as time allows. I'll likely have more questions in the future.

5. SteveG

SteveG Member

Old thread revival... I’m shopping for an entry-level recurve. We bought our daughter an OMP recurve a few years ago when she was taking clases and she’s starting to shoot again. I want to buy something to shoot with her... don’t need anything fancy, but I do want a takedown. I think we spent about $130 on hers and it’s Worked well for her.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    I am also interested in this at the moment.
    It’s been probably 15 years since I’ve shot a bow so I’m sure things have changed a little..

7. Mountainmistwanderer

Best quality for a cheaper price is Samick Sage all day long. Never met a person who didn't like their Samick Sage bow.

RocketmanDane, Datilite and SteveG like this.
  8. SteveG

SteveG Member

Good enough for me. Next question: I have a 75” arm span... I’m researching what to order now. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: 5’9” tall... yes. Gorilla arms!

9. Mountainmistwanderer

You need to figure out what your draw length is. It would be easier to search that on YouTube than for me to explain it. Once you figured out your draw length then you need to be mindful of what bow you get. Certain bows do have a limitation on draw length. Most people are 26 to 28 inches. I'm 30.5 inches which is on the long side and I have to be cautious when buying a bow.
    Once you get that down then there is the topic of which size riser to use. More YouTube or a local archery shop.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    Awesome, Thank you!
    A quick look and it seems to be what I need.
    I grew up shooting only compound and I actually use to teach Youth archery classes. But for some reason that escapes me after 15 plus years we only used compound bows. I’m excited to try recurve as they always looked fun :)

Datilite likes this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    What type of arrows do you recommend?
    I have used aluminum and fiberglass (I believe that’s what they were) But I am open to what works best in a recurve.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  12. Mountainmistwanderer

I can't answer that question because I shoot strictly wood arrows. Since I shoot a longbow I'm restricted to shooting a wood shaft in order to compete. I have no experience with any other type of material.

13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    I’ve been seriously thinking on this one. I don’t think I would try to make my own bow. But I think it would be pretty interesting and fun to make my own wooden arrows.
    There is not a good archery shop locally, but if things work out I might be a whole lot closer to multiple shops in time for Christmas present Shopping :)

14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    Today I found a “local” archery shop that has a TON of the Samick Sage in stock. The shop had a change in ownership and a big change in bow selection in the last year.
    In other words they say they have a bunch of “traditional” style bows left over as they have made the swap to only compounds. I’m going to make the trip over to them tomorrow and see if I can find something cool or atleast Look at and pick up one of the Samick Sages.

Hopefully I will have some goodies to show off tomorrow :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  15. Mountainmistwanderer

News to me about the change but hopefully you get a good deal.

16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    I should clarify, The archery shop had a change in ownership. And made the recurve/ compound change.

17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I was just gifted an old Bear Grizzly recurve. I need to have it checked out to make sure it’s safe to shoot then get a string for it and some arrows. I’m pumped to finally have a recurve to add to my archery arsenal.

18. Mountainmistwanderer

Ha!!! I totally read that one wrong. Any purchases made?

19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer
    I’m curios what bows you use for a longer draw length?
    I took out the new to me recurves today and while they shot fine. I really wish I could have gotten a inch or 2 more of draw.