Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Really frustrated here.... My car is messing up, it has an unknown battery drain (alternator and voltage regulator checked out fine), the place that was supposed to have fixed the abs wheel sensor didn't, they just cleared the code and charged $225 for that, the heater coil is out and that's something I can't do and I don't have the money nor know a place I can trust to fix it even if I did have the money. Then, my roommate can't get a job less she goes through homeland security for whatever reason now, but I'm guessing it may have to do with her threatening someone at her last job with a gun, that she don't even own. If it ain't one thing, it's 10 other things!

RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.
  2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I may have to start a go fund me. To repair the car:
    Heater core $475-500
    Diagnose battery draw $85 then whatever is causing the issue.
    Abs wheel sensor $300

So looking at over $1000 ugh.

And we have to move by this weekend.

3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

That sucks. The forum has been hit hard lately. Yall all need to log out and log back in to get the monkey off our backs or something.

Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

But can you guarantee that's all it will take? Lol

What sucks is the abs was out when I bought it, I had a warranty that covered fixing it and the place said they did. Nope only cleared the code. So last year I took it in to be fixed, but actually paid for it, and they did the same thing, just cleared the code. By the time I figured it wasn't fixed the shops warranty was up. I called them and even turned them in to the bbb but could not get anywhere.
    I'm hoping to at least sell my 4 to cover some of it.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I make no guarantees but this is how we solve many forum issues. Is the machine on? Plugged in? Log off and log back in. Solved!!!

RocketmanDane and Drew RedBear like this.
  6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Heater core can wait.

They are simple to change, it is getting to it that is the problem.

Last one I did I had to remove the dash, what a pain.

378D5FF0-AF67-4CF4-929F-DDAE8EC0C079.jpeg

JV3, Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I would honestly just bypass the heater core all together for now(its summer anyways, you can put off repairing that until fall). Just get a plastic pipe insert, disconnect the heater hoses from the firewall and join together and clamp each side. You may need a piece of longer hose to do it, Your looking at less than $10 and it will tide you over until fall. You can still blow fresh air into the cabin or onto the windshield, just wont be hot

Ive done this simply to avoid having to pull the dash. Its a nightmare job.

ABS wheel sensor - take it out on a gravel road at about 20 miles an hour and hit the brakes, holding down the pedal.....let the ABS chatter away. Repeat this a few times at different speeds.....sometimes it will free up the ABS actuator (if it doesn't get used much it can freeze up/stick triggering the warning lamps). If it doesn't clear the code then the sensor is shot, but mech shops wont tell you about that simple test you can do for free.

re Battery, sounds like a faulty battery - is it under warranty? can you get someone to load test the alternator and battery for not too much $$? sometimes the diodes go in the alternators....could also be a parasitic drain somewhere, like a glovebox light or dome lamp staying on. Maybe borrow a battery or get one form a wrecking yard for $10 and try it out, see if anything changes. I believe AutoZone will load test a battery for free.

consider getting an alternator (if thats the problem) from a wrecking yard........cheap, like $10 - 50 at most. Beats paying hundreds for a new one plus core charge....

Rock Auto has parts.........for a lot less than most parts stores or shops.

hope this helps @Drew RedBear . I know it can be really frustrating to have mechanical issues, esp during trying times, but try to keep your spirits up.

as for your room-mate........well, I'll refrain. I would strike out on your own, maybe try to find a place where you can be a yard watchman or night watchman , in exchange for living quarters. Dunno, something to consider. We got a guy in our truck yard, been there for years in his wheeled trailer. free rent in exchange for securing the gates at nights and doing the odd patrol of the lumber mill yard, truck yard and dock area. I wouldn't leave either.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That's my problem is getting to it lol. I really don't feel like taking the whole thing apart but even if I did I'm 6'2 and 300lbs, I don't fit very well on the floor board.

Now why do you say it can wait? It soaked my floorboard and when I filled the anti freeze up it came back onto the floor.

9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That sounds like something I can do. Will the a/c still work though?

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

whats A/C? :D

Black5 and Drew RedBear like this.
  11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Yes.

Seriously, a new heater core is like $50 or so, plus maybe $10 for new clips to hold the hoses onto the core.

I found step by step instructions for my specific vehicle and printed them.
    I got a box of plastic baggies and put all the bolts/screws from each step and put them in a bag and labeled which step it was. Replace the core, then go backwards through the steps to reinstall.

It is different in every vehicle, some are harder than others.
    Used to you could just take out the glove box and it was right there.

Your quote was half what my quote was, and I did mine like 8 or 10 years ago, so yours may end up being easier.

Drew RedBear and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Something to keep my fat butt cool lol.

Ok good cause I need the a/c lol. As far as doing it myself, it may be possible once I lose some more weight but here is a video of what it takes to do.

It seems easy, just a lot to it.

I did it in my 83 Citation and that was just behind the glove box and easy to do. They just make cars harder and harder to work on yourself.

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ i hear you on newer vehicles being way too complicated........

Ive been eying my hunting buddy's 79 bronco for years now. Something like 20 grease nipples on it, levers and rods for the brakes/gas/clutch, solid axles front and rear, leaf springs front and rear, no computer, and parts are dirt cheap. And its on propane.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

So what are you waiting on? Go get it!

I miss my 75 cutlass and 78 Olds 98 just for those reasons. They were so easy to work on. Actually my 71 Valient was the easiest, especially having the 225 slant 6. Now that motor was tough.

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Black5

Black5 Member

@Drew RedBear

I have a guy at Blue Eye who does my work. He's more than reasonable, and I trust him with my stuff. Example: Shop in Little Rock wanted $900 for rear axle bearings on the F350.
    He did it for $160.

If you want, I'll get you two in contact.

16. Black5

Black5 Member

@Bushman5 I talked to my uncle just about an hour ago.
    I blew an O ring on my 350's injector Friday.
    Seems as though my cousin who runs a semi (Cummins) and a F450 Diesel for hotshot loads is having trouble with his trucks. As are several other guys up in Minnesota.

The culprit?

Diesel breaking down.

Whaddya know?

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yep....and its only gonna get worse Brother!

I cannot stress enough that with modern ULSDiesel, we all need to POLISH our fuel big time BEFORE it ever goes into our trucks, tractors or similar...... Its a small investment on a fuel polishing system and filters......Get a tidy tank, say 1000 L , add on a 24 hour , circulating pump and a row of spin on water separators , and a couple 1 micron fuel filters (GULF COAST are king!). Fill your main SUPPLY tank, let the pumps and filters do their job, then transfer to your tractor, truck etc.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Black5 and RocketmanDane like this.
  18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Yeah that'd be great! Thank you. Blue eye isn't too far from her , but I forgot you were somewhat close to me too lol. Not sure when I can get it there but I'll pm you my number.

RocketmanDane and Bushman5 like this.
  19. Black5

Black5 Member

Screw all that. I found a better answer:

none-horse.jpg

anrkst6973, Bushman5 and Drew RedBear like this.
  20. Black5

Black5 Member

Hm... motor home... D256_17_172_1200.jpg

anrkst6973, Bushman5 and Drew RedBear like this.