Where were you today?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Theodore, Feb 24, 2017.

1. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Me too, been dealing with it for more than four and a half years now. Work comp certainly takes their sweet @ss time :mad:

Datilite, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Adventurer, Hawkeye5, McKROB and 6 others like this.
  3. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Hiking close to home, but caught a great sunset IMG_7062.JPG IMG_7066.JPG IMG_7065.JPG BD0D80AF-4B21-4078-8540-D3588D9C8162.jpg IMG_7067.JPG

4. Hammer

Hammer Member

Biathalon day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

performing invasive surgery on the BushTruck. Ripping out stuff in preparation for the PaceSetter Header and Weber Carb install.

Pacesetter header arrived in record time from the USA. The Weber has gone thru its 75th checkpoint along the UPS trail and is in Ontario now. Should be a week

IMG_5422.JPG IMG_5423.JPG

29 year old Mazda B2200

IMG_5427.JPG

air cleaner housing and associated bolts and vacuum lines removed (you have no idea how many times this has been removed and installed over the years)
    IMG_5428.JPG

air pipes to the air cleaner housing and exhaust removed. IMG_5430.JPG
    exhaust manifold, heat shield off. Still need to jack up the truck and crawl underneath and get the fiddle faddle bolts off to finishing removing the exhaust.

IMG_5431.JPG

30 lbs of garbage. The design allows exhaust to flow BACK into Cylinders 2 and 4. The header will eliminate that and allow much better exhaust flow , like 95 % better flow and EQUAL FLOW from all exhaust ports
    IMG_5432.JPG
    the factory Nippon Denso carb removed.
    IMG_5433.JPG

Intake coming off tomorrow after i get a tub to drain the coolant into. Intake will be degreased and un-needed vacuum lines welded up and ground smooth. 98% of the wiring and vacuum-lines and electronics mounted on the fender well will get turfed. As will the computer that controls the air/fuel mix. (It will be manually adjusted now)
    IMG_5434.JPG

more in a few days./

6. Hammer

Hammer Member

"Bush Truck" should really be the name of a band....

7. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

That should really make up the engine. Did you change the hood out? Thought it had holes cut in it with grating over it. Or maybe you can't see it from the inside.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

That was a spare hood that didn’t fit that well (warped) so I threw on the factory one.

Zeek likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Finished ripping out another 100 lbs of garbage exhaust

24A28D70-94E8-4F0B-BE01-6A84007882B0.jpeg EA8D75B9-EDEF-4929-9C2F-1F841320B315.jpeg E827AEE1-5F77-49F2-B0FD-952C593EDB83.jpeg

20 lbs of 8" diameter pipe that does nothing but weigh the truck down. Its supposed to be a collector pipe but its really pointless when the next stage in the factory exhaust is a 1" diameter hole (3' long) that opens up to 2" pipe...... :rolleyes:

687EC546-899D-407B-A42F-446D08863851.jpeg

rough fit check for clearance issues. NONE. Nada. Zilch. 100 % fit like a glove. Going to add a stainless flex tube after the cat to prevent flexing stress on the header and studs. 548CC4FF-F8C7-4A2B-88B2-39A0CB09D1C1.jpeg

my studs never back out over time.

IMG_5488.JPG

putting studs in the way Dad did for almost 50 years. Two nuts threaded together on the end of the stud, wrench on the outer nut, thread the stud in and torque to spec, then two opposing wrenches to remove the nuts.

IMG_5490.JPG

studs in (i should have gotten new ones but whatever), gasket on, header installed and torqued down. Ready for the catalytic converter install and cat back exhaust (next week). Still waiting for that Weber......Ups has now checked it thru 72 different UPS locations on its way to BC from the USA. LOL!
    IMG_5492.JPG

someone remind me in a week to tighten up and torque the transmission housing to engine block bolt I removed to drop the factory exhaust.......

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  10. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Hiking with the sunset IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7163.JPG IMG_7189.JPG

11. Hammer

Hammer Member

I was itching to get outside after work today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Datilite, Caleb O, IW17 and 3 others like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Walked up to the courier kiosk outlet to pick up (FINALLY!!) my Weber 32/36 carb for the BushTruck. Kiosk girl literally had the parcel sitting on the shelf behind her. (guess my friend called her and told her i would be there in ten minutes....lol)

11 lbs of Weber goodness........

the main shipping box is PipSqueak Approved!
    IMG_5548.JPG
    air cleaner, choke cable, fuel line, detailed instruction booklet.
    IMG_5549.JPG

everything laid out. IMG_5550.JPG

Think my Dad will be having fun watching this install..... ;)

13. Hammer

Hammer Member

Wandering the back 40 after work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

slightly modifying the riser/base plate of the Weber Carb, to clear a 3/8" vacuum hose without chafing it due to engine vibrations.

IMG_5560.JPG IMG_5561.JPG IMG_5562.JPG

The Marsh Gorilla, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

got Skinny Puppy cranked on the System. Post work week beers flowing......(amazing week at work)

about to lay down some gaskets and gasket sealer on the almost 30 year old BushTruck engine.

I can hear my Dad expressing his awe at how this Weber / Pacesetter install cleans up the engine bay. Can also hear his guidance on the carb jet/hi/lo ratio tuning. Literally right here with me.

Today is an Awesome Day. It literally does not get better than this. This is such a bittersweet moment for me. I'm so proud of this upgrade to the truck Father and I worked on for like 29 years.

I was scraping carb gasket off the intake manifold.....and I realized......I was using the same razor blade and cotton rag to scrap off gaskets.....as my Dad did about 9 years ago when we both worked on the truck (head gasket) together.

God I love working on trucks. Senior Bushy is beaming right now, big smile, watching over me from beyond.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Hawkeye5 like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

capped the night off by spraying the entire engine bay, engine, transmission with heavy duty Grez-Off , rinsed by some citrus engine degreaser. The truck will soak all night long, and in the AM, after installing the carb and torquing everything down, will get rinsed down with water mist. Not a spec of grease or oil in the engine bay. Also the smell of the degreaser keeps the rats from chewing the wires and setting up nests.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  17. Hammer

Hammer Member

[​IMG]

May your trails be narrow, winding and rocky... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some antlered beast sure stripped the **** out of this tree recently. Looked around for sheds but didn't find any:

[​IMG]

Found a fine place to make coffee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hank kept silent vigil the whole time:

[​IMG]

Today's loadout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Carb install time:

IMG_5564.JPG

base plate fitting....hmmmm....not enough clearance IMG_5565.JPG IMG_5566.JPG

a few strokes with a bastard file and lots of clearance IMG_5567.JPG

letting the gasket sealer slightly air cure
    IMG_5568.JPG
    loctiting the chamfered allen bolts
    IMG_5570.JPG

gasket needs modding too IMG_5572.JPG

perfect fit. Torqued to 12 f-lb's
    IMG_5573.JPG

air curing gasket sealer for the carb mounting plate. IMG_5574.JPG

regular allen bolts with loctite IMG_5575.JPG
    gasket in between the base plate and mounting plate, bolts torqued
    IMG_5577.JPG

Weber sends 5 vacuum port covers. But you actually need 7. No biggie, i'll steal some at the wrecking yard. IMG_5578.JPG

5 ports capped off IMG_5579.JPG
    carb mounting studs getting loctite
    IMG_5580.JPG
    more aviation gasket sealer air curing before gasket application. Studs torqued
    IMG_5583.JPG

carb on IMG_5584.JPG

throttle cable plate installed before carb nuts go on IMG_5588.JPG

cable installed, new fuel line and chafe sleeve installed IMG_5591.JPG

need to remove the 3/8's brass port on the left and replace with a brass plug - its not needed IMG_5593.JPG

cleaning up the engine bay of garbage that should have never been installed on these engines. Lots of wiring to still to go thru.....need to determine what to keep and what to cut out of the harness. IMG_5595.JPG

Carb is installed. Still need to attach the choke cable , get a new brake vac hose, and charge up the battery and put new spark plugs in. (as well as a complete cat back exhaust system, but i've already blown a grand this week.

also need to spray the engine bay down with degreaser and let it soak overnight, then mist clean.

more to come

19. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Went on a quick overnight backpacking trip with a friend who is new to AZ. He likes the woods so we headed up to ponderosa country.
    D1A5CFA1-51E7-47C6-AF4E-50C0C41DA460.jpg F9B689E0-C077-47DB-B61D-661AE4F10F8A.jpg 96CFD318-B4FE-4701-A162-9D28DD6E4ED3.jpg
    After choosing a spot we set up camp. I forgot tent stakes for my tarp so had to make 6 wood ones to hold my plowpoint shelter in place. 070B428F-C244-4C24-B749-031B604DE999.jpg IMG_7216.JPG 0F5CA61F-ED5E-4E54-8EDE-3EDCAD36EEF3.jpg 7A5D5978-DAB9-4EA4-999F-05B88F8A9C8F.jpg Then I got us a fire going and it was just chilling out from there. We had a great chorus of frogs that evening. IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7237.JPG IMG_7259.JPG

20. Hammer

Hammer Member

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.