Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Never take inventory of your flashlights! It might scare you...

Hammer, JV3, Drew RedBear and 2 others like this.
  2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Well since this journey of seeing doctors, traveling and lots of pain, I've managed to get my stamina up some and I've lost close to 20 lbs. It's only been a couple weeks but not too bad I don't think. The only thing I'm concerned about is the cost of eating healthy and the limits on what I can eat, but that's the price to pay for letting myself go.

JV3, Strigidae, C99c and 1 other person like this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

Have you ever tried or looked into fasting, intermittent or other?

The mechanics of losing weight are simple once you push past the bad habits and modern "facts" about eating and nutrition.

Over the span of a couple of years I went from nearly 250 lbs to 155ish. I'm 175 right now. Eating better gave me more energy, exercising made me healthier, but 99% of the fat loss was just eating less. You can do it without fasting, but fasting made it way easier and has other benefits.

I had dropped to just under 200 lbs, but hit a wall. Nothing I did was working. Then I was shown the below blog post. Read it, follow the instructions and you'll lose weight. Period. Nothing to buy, no fad diet B.S.. Just simple science put into words that everyone can understand.

https://pointdriventraining.com/2016/01/01/point-driven-fat-loss/

You'll save money (buying less food) even if you're buying better quality food. And you'll be fueling your body instead of just bogging it down with stuff that tastes good.

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear
    A couple of tips I have found for affording healthy food.
    #1 find out what time your local supermarket does markdowns of produce and meats. I’ve adjusted my shopping times to be around those times and can same some serios $$$ buying food you have to use in a day or 2 max. Walmart is especially good about setting a standard schedule of this. 7am and 7pm Locally. Some stores will even sell a mix bag of sorts that has a few different fruits and vegetables in out that only would last a day and they are CHEAP. Think 50c for a cucumber regularly and they might sell them in a pack of 6 for $1. ( just a way for hem to scrap some money out of food that would go to waist otherwise.

#2 Determine what healthy food you allowed to eat that can be frozen or refrigerated. Cook large batches and “prep” your meals for Days or weeks or more.

#3 seriously look into a local meal prep service. A lot of them can modify meals to fit specific diets and portions. IMO they might seem a little spendy but do the math on what it’s going to $$$ to make it from scratch and it might be worth it esp if you are hurting for proper cooking facility’s and supplies.

#4 Dont by fresh food in bulk unless you are going to freeze it... It is to easy to buy a 5 or 8 pound bag of fruit or vegetable and think I’m going to finish them all. To easy to go to waste and you then didn’t save any money.

#5 Ask Around for restaurants or dining places that do “end of day meals” or something similar. Basically they have made to much food and they sell it for a little extra $$ Buffets are a good example.

Zeek, JV3 and Drew RedBear like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

also you can save hundreds of dollars on produce by going to East Indian or Chinese markets. The supermarkets are overpriced.

example: 5 lb bag of yellow onions at local supermarket $8. same brand at East Indian market $2.75

same with bags of rice, beans, canned beans, etc. super cheap, easy to cook healthy meals you can still eat meat, but your not wasting money on overpriced veggies.

JV3, Drew RedBear, IW17 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I had thought about fasting but with having diabetes that could mess with my health /blood sugar. Plus I'd need the energy to get up and exercise.

That's what I've been pretty much doing @RocketmanDane, trying to get things on sale or day old about to expire stuff. And I've been cooking my protein in advance but only a few days worth. We have a mini fridge that doesn't hold a lot. We had a full size with this new room but they took it out.

@Bushman5 unfortunately there's none of those around.

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions though, it's good to know there's people who care.

Zeek likes this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

About to put this thing to work! 20190426_135740.jpg

Rick R, JV3, RocketmanDane and 2 others like this.
  8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Oh it was so good to get out! Not as long as I wanted but it was still fun nonetheless. 20190426_134933.jpg 20190426_134950.jpg 20190426_142436.jpg 20190426_142536.jpg 20190426_142939.jpg 20190426_155325.jpg 20190426_155333.jpg 20190426_161004.jpg

Rick R, Bushman5, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  9. Rick R

Rick R Member

I don’t know where you’re at but last year I dumped my pill dispenser doctor and found a younger guy. On his advice I started watching carbs and in six months of simply trying to stay around 50 - 70 gm of carbs per day I’m down over 32 pounds. Dropped one of my blood pressure meds and halved my metformin dosage. I feel better and really just dropped bread, bagels, rice, fried potatoes, pasta and tortillas. I eat everything else and drink beer to award myself.
    I had Fajitas Texanas tonite with a big Dos Equis, just no rice or tortillas.
    You didn’t get yourself where you are in a week of bad eating, look at it as the long road out.

10. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That's what my doctor said pretty much also. Low carb and high protein and no sugars, or at least very very low. So basically my diet is chicken, fish, lean beef(or bison), and turkey with any veggies and fruit but I have to be careful with fruit as it can have a lot of sugars in them. This is from Dr Huizenga from the biggest loser show (not my choice but my sister's doctor and no complaints). The meds I'm on are carvedilol, metformin atorvastatin, and aspirin. But this isn't just about losing weight, I had a heart attack three years ago and did damage to my heart so trying to get that healthy as well.
    And I know it's gonna be a long road and I'm ok with that because I did do it to myself.
    (oh and I'm on wellbutrin)

11. Rick R

Rick R Member

My doctor said not to be concerned with the carbs in fruit. I’m not hitting the high sugar fruits but I do eat raw sweet potatoes, carrots, radishes and rutabaga like they are going out of style.
    My fats were good enough that I eat a bunch of smoked turkey sausage, along with descent quantities of bacon, sausage and country ham.
    Good luck with losing excess ballast, I’m feeling much better and hope I can lose a few more pounds AND keep it off.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

He didn't mention the carbs in fruits, just the sugar. I was told no potatoes but I have had a sweet potato, but halved it into two meals.
    Yeah can't do those fats lol, but have at it.
    Appreciate it Rick, I'm feeling better also and have more energy and can move around better. I do have an cpap machine though also. I wish you the best also.

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

1.25 pound Forged head hickory handled hatchet by Ozark Trail. Anyone seen this? It’s about $15 locally.
    IDK, For $15 I might have to just toss one in every vehicle :)

Ozark Trail Wooden Handle Hatchet (model 5039) is for basic uses such as making kindling, doing light clearing and working in the garden. This item has an axe head weight of 1.25 lbs and a handle length of 12 inches. The axe head is forged and the handle is made of American hickory.
    Ozark Trail Wooden Handle Hatchet
    • 12inch Wooden handle
    • axe head weight of 1.25 lbs
    • Forged axe head
    • Handle is made of American hickory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ManOfSteel, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

well, I went and looked at it. Ooooooh its nice......very nice.

its in amazing shape, extremely well maintained and clean, both the engine and engine bay (first thing i look at) . Spare engine (DAMN NEAR NEW) and parts are in crates, well protected and padded. Complete maintenance and repair history, painstakingly detailed in a in a binder.

Sounds amazing.

I did take a step back to think about it. Went to the insurance broker to get some quotes.

yikes. :confused::eek:o_O

would cost me more in insurance for this one car for a year (even with my top tier discount) THAN ALL OF MY 4 TRUCKS COMBINED FOR A YEAR.

as well, I looked up on the porsche forums about what parts tend to fail and need replacing....some of the parts are hideously expensive.

but it was the yearly insurance that killed it for me. Not spending $7000 a year on insurance for one vehicle

So disappointed about it, but what can you do.......

Rick R, Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Anybody else watch Game of Thrones?! Good God ..

Hammer, OKcherokee and Rick R like this.
  16. Rick R

Rick R Member

That was ROUGH! My wife is in mourning over Jorah Mormont.
    Next week will probably amount to an AAR as it was hard to keep up with who got killed.
    Arya Stark now has surpassed the body count on every other character in the story.

Hammer and ManOfSteel like this.
  17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Most badass little girl ever!

Hammer likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I’m waiting for the complete GOT box set DVDs to come out, then I’m going to hide for a week and watch them back to back :D

Zeek, HelRaiser and Rick R like this.
  19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

One of my favorite hats is a Outdoor Research brand boonie style hat.( I bought a extra JIK because I was so happy with the 1st one) About the only thing I dislike about it is it does not have velcro to attach patches.
    Well today I bought me some matching velcro and took it to the local sewing lady. 5 minutes( Mostly BS’ing about about politics, she is a funny old Korean lady so you can only imagine) to make it perfect and 2 dollars later problem solved :)
    Now I can stop writing my name on the front or back of my hats when needed and now just throw on a name patch instead :)
    ITs the little things some days :)

Drew RedBear likes this.
  20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Asking for prayers or whatever you do. Arkansas and Missouri getting hit with severe thunderstorms and tornados.

Strigidae, Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.