Headphones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I love music. Listening to music with good quality sound is pretty important to me. However, I don't own a good pair of headphones because I don't really have an environment that makes them necessary for listening to music.

The overwhelming majority of my headphone use is with my cell phone when forwarding my work calls. I talk while typing a lot so the headphones are needed. For this, I just use the ****ty headphones that came with my iPhone.

Well, I lost those the other day.

My nephew is visiting with my in-laws and he has a pair of Beats Solo2's and I'm using those. While I know that Beats aren't the best for your money, they've reminded me what it's like to actually HEAR your music.

So, what are the best value headphones out there that have a mic so I can use them for my calls as well as enjoy good sound?

Massdrop has Sennheiser HD 58X's for a decent price, but those appear to be "listening" headphones only with no mic. Noise cancellation isn't a huge thing for me, but I suppose it doesn't hurt.

mwramos76 likes this.
  2. JV3

JV3 Member

i like my audio-technica a lot.

3. ASH

ASH Member

Ear buds are kind of crappy overall. If you want something cheap I would try something like j labs, or Sony, jvc or Phillips. I haven't ever tried more expensive ear buds.

4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I do prefer the over-ear or on-ear options and that's generally what I've used in the past. I only use the Appe ear-buds because they're free with the phone and all I've had recently.

ASH likes this.
  5. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Love my Bose soundsport free. Completely wireless and the case is a charger. Great great great product.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

7. Rich275

Rich275 Member

8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Well I guess the "urgency" has been lifted a bit. My mother-in-law just to happened to have a spare set of Beats earbuds that she gave me. They're somewhat decent but nowhere close to the punch and range of the Solo's. I'm still in the market for something on or over the ear, but I just don't need them right now, so that gives me time to research.

Drew RedBear and Bushman5 like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well it wouldn’t do you any good for talking a good sub $100 pair imo would be the skull candy Hesh 2 or 3 with Bluetooth. I use them almost everyday and well not awesome... the price is def right!

10. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

The more I've looked into it, the more Sony seems to be some of the best out there. At first I wasn't even interested in wireless options because with most other wireless things (networking, power tools, etc) you tend to sacrifice performance for convenience. But reviews of the Sony options all seem to show them as being extremely performance oriented. A lot of the reviews even put them above the Bose options, which was surprising.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

As I've said that's all I've owned and been really happy with them. I have a pair of mdr-xb550's that are corded but for the price the sound is really good. I think I paid around $50 on Amazon.

12. chorpie

chorpie Member

I've got a pair of Bose QC 35 II's that I use daily at work, they're nice. Your choice is really going to depend on your music preferences. Beats will lean toward emphasizing bass, and I think the Sony's do as well. They're all going to sound good, although of the three brands, Beats is the one i'd be least likely to purchase.

13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

The only ones I’ve used for the past year.

Delkancott likes this.
  14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

With the Mic being at your ear instead of near your mouth, hows the sound quality for the person you're talking to when on the phone?

With the Sony's, the mic is on the bottom of the ear cup, which is basically right at your jaw line.

15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Every time you’ve spoken to me over the last year I’ll guarantee it was on those headphones. I use them all the time and nobody has ever had a problem hearing me.

Delkancott likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

shivermetimbers likes this.
  17. artigas

artigas Member

Another vote for Bose here. I’ve always like those QC line.

18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Well, I’m glad I didn’t order anything haha. My mother in law surprised me with these yesterday. They were sitting in the mailbox when I got off of work.

D8C5E7EE-4BDB-4F34-81A4-82B7D2ED018E.jpeg

19. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

Depends on the music you like. I like classic rock, so Grado cans are hard to beat. Congrats on the snag!

20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Okay so next question. Headphone amps!?