What did you make today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Reno Lewis, Dec 23, 2017.

1. StrawBunyan

StrawBunyan Member

Like i said, its a wreck right now. Ive got about 30 different projects strewn about the place, lol. Im off grid and i cleared all the land with axes, hand saws, brush axe and machete. All total ive cleared about 1 of the 5 acres so far. For the first month we were in a tiny little travel trailer. Built a quick temporary outhouse yesterday so i can use the bathroom and bot get rained on for once, the weather here has been nuts, it has rained atleast 60 percent of the time ive been here, day and night. Still need toninsulate and panel the ceiling, do the floors and build railings for the loft. A few of the pics are from the day it got here and some are from this morning. Ive been using mostly free material which , as you can imagine, makes it take a lot longer. Neighbor donated thebinsulation and plywood for the walls. I tore down an old pole barn at another neighbors house and shebgave me all the tin and wood fromnit. Ive been using that to build coops and sheds and the outhouse. As i progress ill post some more pics of my projects. No electricity or power tools have been used on anything so far and im really diggin it. IMG_20190409_084648.jpg IMG_20190409_084840.jpg IMG_20190409_084553.jpg IMG_20190403_130249.jpg IMG_20190403_130945.jpg IMG_20190403_125028.jpg

Bushman5, Zeek, mtngoat and 3 others like this.
  2. StrawBunyan

StrawBunyan Member

This is a shot next to the cabin. Its What the area looked like when inshowed up (except then it was 20 degrees and raining non stop ) IMG_20190403_191021.jpg

Bushman5, Zeek, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  3. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Mudman and mtngoat like this.
  4. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Rebuilding a set of these, one at a time. From 1920’s, taking totally apart, reglueing, and recovering.

94FB413F-2EB9-4CBB-889C-840FF078BF54.jpeg

Zeek, ZeRo, RocketmanDane and 5 others like this.
  5. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Nice, the misses and I did that with a set of chairs and table we found in her aunts barn.

SEMO likes this.
  6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Quick and dirty work table for the garage.

Garage isn’t very big and fits both cars, and I want to keep it that way if possible.

C1BA8884-F77B-4182-94B0-1466D5411377.jpeg A78BE30E-6D8A-4E01-BCA6-2EA7918A4DC9.jpeg

7. IW17

IW17 Member

What's it supported by when it's in use? I'm doing something similar off my work bench to add some depth when I'm using a miter saw or other stuff.

Zeek likes this.
  8. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Got some folding brackets.
    These are 16” long, they will hold more than I will ever put on it.
    Being I only used one sheet of ply, there really isn’t much screw holding the top to the bracket.

I think instead of trimming out the edges as it I’ll probably get another quarter sheet of plywood and double it up, and put some longer screws in it.

76CE32A9-A7F6-4996-97B6-177E026D5396.jpeg

mtngoat and IW17 like this.
  9. IW17

IW17 Member

Nice. I was just gonna use hinges and use removable legs, but I'm gonna look at these as well. Looks very clean and simple.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Stuffed 30 PJCB fire tinders into one of my S&S Precision Stash Tins. Ultra compact, waterproof to 120 feet, keep your tinder dry at all costs micro storage for the L.R.R.P.R. webbing

IMG_5533.JPG

Also picked up a tub of KUKUI NUT cream. Organic, no added chemicals or additives, smells so good you almost could eat it. Hypoallergenic (a lot of after sun/dry skin creams give me massive hives/rashes, even some sunscreens- so I have to use alternatives like this) - makes skin that has been exposed to outdoor physical rigors, sweating, sun exposure, dry cracking etc , hydrated and super soft and smooth.

into another S&S Precision Stash Can, and DOUBLE secured from twisting open with one of 5COL's large EPDM Ranger Bands.

IMG_5534.JPG IMG_5536.JPG

Zeek, Strigidae and HelRaiser like this.
  11. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Made up a simple plate to facilitate canted cross draw carry of my Winkler Field Knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bushman5, erik, OKcherokee and 2 others like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ooooh that is a great idea!

you just gave me an idea for a Molle plate to mount on my webbing, for my bear spray.

Zeek and Reno Lewis like this.
  13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Double post

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  14. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Getting ready for the yearly cow cooking festival, had to cut some vinyl so I decided to make some iron-ons for a new shirt and one to add to my apron.

D6A126F2-9674-419C-A47F-83C0739C29A1.jpeg
    2805BCCC-37B2-4D73-BD0E-FDB9A598FF32.jpeg

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  15. IW17

IW17 Member

Started on my outdoor bar/pavilion. Going to tie it all together with lag screws tomorrow and attach the rafter clips. Hopefully Tuesday we will run the rafters and get the purlins set.

IMG_20190519_164518.jpg

Strigidae, CeeFried and Zeek like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Tonight I started the design stage of a molle grid mounted, extremely hi pressure, bear spray system. A refillable/user pressurized system, upwards of 500 - 1000 PSI. Ranges of 50 - 75'

I almost exclusively use nothing but load bearing rigs now for hiking. The molle grid on the front rear and sides is valuable real estate space. But try to mount one or more bear spray magnum cans on such molle grid and you run into issues......only one or two companies make decent bear spray canister holsters (FHF GEAR + HSGI Taco series) <<<and despite those pretty good holsters.................you still have to manually pull out the canister, pull the safety wedge and wield it.......its easily dropped under duress/attack. Your still dealing with a system that loses pressure and has breakable plastic parts on it.....I hike hardcore and break **** all the time.........We all need better when it comes to bear spray systems

my goal is a system that can be deployed one handed (dominate / non dominant hand) . Be it spraying forward at an approaching bear threat , or activating the system mounted on the back of the load bearing yoke (ie bear, grizzly snapping , biting at back / neck area while hiker etc is face down on ground)....think thin high pressure tubing routed from the canister on the back, down to the wrists, (both arms) , with the ability to spray at will using both hands, and activating the rear spray jets with a grenade style pin mounted on the front of the LBE vest.

my frustration with modern available bear spray holster systems is how cheap and poorly thought out they are. Cheap nylon and stretchy fabrics and velcro, so many pouches for bear spray i have bought over the years and they are all ****! they might be fine for casual hikers, but I am not a casual hiker......

as for the bear spray canisters themselves.....they present a whole other issue........You have metal canisters that have a plastic trigger system. Fall hard enough during hiking and the PLASTIC top of the canister breaks off, rapidly exposing the user to bear spray and worse if that user is under bear attack.

My goal is a 100% metal system, refillable and re-pressurized by the user. Flat mounting and user friendly.

I currently have a Molle grid of 4 vertical rows X 4 horizontal available on my load bearing harness yoke. (rear of yoke) this will hold the hi pressure canister and rear and multiple angled dispersion jets . Front of the yoke will hold a hi pressure tube, front nozzle jet and trigger system.

I have no interest in patenting anything. I just want BETTER , BEST.....a highly evolved bear defense spray system that meets MY needs. I'm tired of mediocre currently available systems.

I am the vehicle when i am bushwhacking , scrambling, climbing thru BC's dense forests and other terrain.....the bear defense system should be mounted to the vehicle and easy to use, as easy as simply pointing an arm/hand and activating a trigger. We have exo-skeletons for our military and some industrial users already.....why can't a hiker have such technology..................

easy user pressurization using off the shelf life vest cartridges.

IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6029.JPG

think smaller.........less than 6" wide x 8" tall x 3 to 4" deep...........with 1/4" tubes running down the shoulders arms and a trigger / spray unit at the wrist

854x480_618893.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    anrkst6973 and CeeFried like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

just ordered a block of aluminum to be machined for the proto.

CeeFried likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

getting a small 5 Minute SCBA cylinder from a friend........ this will be the container that holds the bear spray. working on fittings for the CO-2 magnum cartridges.

19. Mudman

Mudman Member

you macguyvering stuff?

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

making stuff better.

Mudman likes this.