The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

shameless selfie

IMG_4391.JPG

L.R.R.P.R. Scout Rig hanging low........(15 lbs of water (6L) on board). Drank it all. Had the extra buttpack (CDNForces Pattern 82) on the yoke, had a "few" extra knives with me :D IMG_4409.JPG

cutblock turned from easy walking to Salal choked forest. Best alarm system ever...NOTHING....not even stealthy cougars or bears, can get thru this stuff without making a racket. IMG_4411.JPG

chest height....great..... IMG_4412.JPG

Brutally forcing a fatwood apart with the 8mm thick Tops Operator (Hey! I had two Operator knives with me! the Winkler and the Tops.....LOL) IMG_4413.JPG IMG_4423.JPG

hamming it up and playing with post edit colors...... IMG_4433.JPG

in yer woods......lurking........
    IMG_4443.JPG

Cat Scratch Fever, er, scratching tree. Less than a day old.....strong cedar smell from the clawed bark

IMG_4455.JPG

Bonus! soft pitch glob. IMG_4458.JPG

rolled it in a Salal leaf for transport. Used some pitch to "glue the leaf shut". It worked WELL IMG_4459.JPG

thats it, boring daytrip. Wished i had more time.........

jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Se7eN and 8 others like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Are you kidding? Looks great! "Lurking"pic shows just how well the camo pattern fades into the background. Nice. Wish I had your photog editing/posting abilities.;)

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Google photos !! Super easy to post edit and you can revert it back to original photo if you want

Se7eN, anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  4. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Love the pics.

Se7eN and Bushman5 like this.
  5. John Woodmansee

John Woodmansee Member

Hey Bushman! My name is Woody and I am President of TRGear.com and am also the designer and builder of the Mil Grabber. Nice to see some great feedback. We make a number of products for the military and are now coming over to the Outdoor communities. If you are still out and wandering the Jungles of the North! I may have one or two Items you may like!
    Cheers
    Woody

Attached Files:

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Hey Woody! Good to see you here on the Esee forum! Can’t wait to see what you have in the works for us outdoors folks!!

Zeek likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

March 23, 2019, 13 deg C, cool, dark, "The Fear Of The Dark, Test New Light Gear, Wall Of Light Tour"

Got some new gear (ACEBEAM H30 4000 lumen headlamp, ACEBEAM LC30 Gen 2 4000 lumen searchlight) and wanted to get out into the dark woods of the North Shore stomping grounds to wander the woods and go "I AM LAZERSWORD..........." :D (inside joke among flashlight geeks.....cuz we often stand in the dark at night, waving our high powered LED flashlights around like Star Wars light sabers ...........yea its sad i know.....)

It was only fitting that the music for the drive up to the North Shore was Iron Maiden "Fear of the dark"........i cranked it loud!

Up The Irons!

got to the trail head and parked my truck. Got lucky and there was an older man and his huge German Shepard dog camped overnight in his Ford truck and camper. We chatted for a bit and he would keep an eye on my truck. (the area sometimes gets people in cars partying and stuff.....). I figure any old man brave enough to camp alone by a cemetery, where youth sometimes party and wreck cars.... and an old fit man who has an OLD Kabar on his belt and a good big dog, is a pretty good character.

not going to review the lights, head on over to CandlePowerForums or Budgetlightforum for very detailed reviews.

started the woods wander with my FENIX HP30R headlamp. 1750 lumens total output, remote battery pack.
    IMG_4565.JPG

brought out the powerhouse, Acebeam L30 Gen2 ....4000 lumens on Turbo Max. Its pretty impressive. IMG_4566.JPG IMG_4568.JPG IMG_4570.JPG IMG_4571.JPG

next was the new Acebeam H30 4000 lumenheadlamp. WALL OF LIGHT. Flood pattern. Also has RED & GREEN led's IMG_4573.JPG IMG_4574.JPG IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4576.JPG IMG_4577.JPG

white led moonlight mode IMG_4578.JPG

double tap of the button and BOOOOOOOOOOOM ! WALL OF LIGHT IMG_4580.JPG IMG_4581.JPG

green led on tree branches IMG_4583.JPG
    red led on tree branches IMG_4584.JPG

moonlight on tree branches IMG_4585.JPG

BOTH the Fenix and Acebeam headlamps on Turbo Max. IMG_4586.JPG

both looking up at the 200+ foot tall tree canopy. No animal, owl was safe from me tonight. I was hoping to see the eyes of a cougar reflection back, but alas no. IMG_4588.JPG IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4591.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Datilite, Se7eN, Zeek and 6 others like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

both the Fenix HP30R and the Acebeam H30 on turbo max here. Distance to fatwood stump in center is about 200'

IMG_4592.JPG IMG_4600.JPG

found another cedar bark gathering tree.....identical to the ones 90km north up in Squamish. (two trip reports back) IMG_4603.JPG

flood only from the acebeam headlamp on turbo max........ IMG_4607.JPG

same plus the Acebeam L30 Gen 2 flashlight on turbo max IMG_4608.JPG

art shot IMG_4609.JPG
    Acebeam H30 red led mode
    IMG_4610.JPG

Acebeam H30 green led mode (note the clear definition on the stump) IMG_4611.JPG

Acebeam H30 on moonlight white led mode IMG_4612.JPG

lightweight rig for the night. Large pouch for woods survival essentials, two canteen pouches for water, another canteen pouch for all the lights I had with me, a compass pouch and good old Kabar Dogshead.
    IMG_4614.JPG

thats it, short 2 hour fast rip thru the woods, playing with flashlights.

:) stay tuned for Sundays adventure, going to be some Raiding going on with my new Ontario Raider Bowie chopper.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    jdh, Datilite, Se7eN and 10 others like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

March 24 , 2019, partially overcast, warm, "The Mamquam/Skookum Rivers FSR Drive, Attack By Dennis The Menace, Vast Mountains & Valleys, Raider Bowie Knife Break In, Tranquil Poolside Coffee Tour"

tossed the L.R.R.P.R. webbing (Woods Recon Edition - a few more pieces of kit, and more water) into the truck, cranked up some Front 242 (The World Must Be Destroyed album), and headed on up the epic Sea To Sky HWY to the Mamquam FSR turnoff just past The Chief.

drove up and up the Mamquam FSR....look at this drop into the river valley below

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

Drove up to KM 15.5 and turned off into the Skookum PowerHouse project
    IMG_4707.JPG

water drops 1200' down the mountain, from a 6.5 km long penstock, into twin Pelton turbines. You can hear them from a long way aways. This is considered a micro-power project up here, only 25 megawatts output.
    IMG_4624.JPG

the access road to the top of the pen-stock is steep. It pasts a massive basalt extrusion, this is one of the best ones I've seen yet up here.
    IMG_4625.JPG IMG_4626.JPG

MASSIVE valley, with looming mountains. Lots of cutblocks up here. IMG_4628.JPG
    penstock pipe buried on the right
    IMG_4632.JPG

dogleg and an almost 35% grade to the mountain top. To say the water drops fast down this huge pipe is an understatement. IMG_4633.JPG

looking across the cutblock and the valley. Those grey lines are old logging roads, taken over by alder trees (the first trees to start taking over the old roads after fireweed and other shrubs) IMG_4635.JPG

found 5 x 300 WinMag brass. I save these and insert a paperclip, then lead birdshot followed by DevCon 20 ton epoxy. They make FAST and long casting fishing weights IMG_4637.JPG
    parked as far as i can go (FSR blocked by deep snow past this point)
    IMG_4639.JPG
    SAT View. Anyone notice the MASSIVE GLACIAL FLOW FIELD here?
    IMG_4643.JPG

donned the webbing, drank lots of water and headed down the FSR, then diverted thru thick woods. This is overlooking the massive glacial flow, but you can;t see it from here. Its about 2000' below
    IMG_4654.JPG

Salal IMG_4659.JPG

new blade. Ontario Raider Bowie. All I can say so far is HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMG_4664.JPG

better zoom of the other side of the valley. Yea i would love a cabin over there......right at the top IMG_4665.JPG

mountain range IMG_4667.JPG

ooh thats a better zoom in...... IMG_4670.JPG

huge spruce pitch bubbles IMG_4673.JPG

jdh, Datilite, Zeek and 4 others like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

lichen. Its edible. Tastes like dry lichen. palatable, but a Cheeseburger with Bacon and extra bacon tastes better.

IMG_4676.JPG

Raider IMG_4677.JPG
    Magpul small suppressor pouch (holds firekit), mounted with cordage on the buttpack.
    IMG_4679.JPG

daylight pic of the Acebeam H30 headlamp IMG_4681.JPG IMG_4683.JPG
    wandered some more on the lee side of the mountaintop. Got hungry and broke out the 10 year old hard cheddar and some chorizo salami. While the salami was very tasty....i would hardly call it Chorizo Salami.....wheres the heat? where is the smoky spiciness? where is the paprika and Cayenne? Dont get me wrong I ate half the damn chorizo salami chub, but come on!!!!! some heat and spice please.
    IMG_4689.JPG

weee little spiky tree growing. IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG

Chapter 2 - Enter Dennis The Menace..............o_O

I puttered about the woods exploring and then made my way back towards the clearing. Now the massive clearing has been terraformed with stumps and rocks and has been tree planted. It towers about 50' ABOVE the forest edge where i was brutally slaying a douglas fir fatwood stump with the Raider Bowie. The view form the huge clearing is spectacular. So if course people drive up to it and take pics.

enter the little s*** i call Dennis The Menace........the lad and his family walked over to the edge of the clearing and took pics of the MASSIVE mountains nearby. Dennis The Menace apparently got bored by that and started hucking golf ball sized rocks at the trees around me, knocking pinecones off the branches. Kid was a hell of a shot. None of them had any idea i was right there.

So picture if you will......me....in my usual woods getup, multicam webbing, big honking knife on the shoulder strap, even bigger knife on the belt. ......on the edge of the forest, just out of view..........and rocks start raining down (along with pine cones......LOL) .....no one knows i'm crouched behind a stand of trees and a fatwood stump........

if i stand up and yell at the kid.....there is a good chance the Dad will lose his s*** at some camo'ed out dude with knives yelling at his kid from the forest......

So i very slowly crawled on my belly, towards a huge fallen log for cover...the entire time rocks and pine cones raining down around me. I was also texting @Reno Lewis at the time re my location and where my truck was parked.........we had a hilarious text message exchange....DUDE......yell at them...rocks hitting the head can kill you man! get out of there.....!!! I texted back that i need a Sasquatch suit.......... ....

I finally reached my cover under the huge log. I actually enjoyed lying back and just taking in the scents of the forest, the breeze, the sounds of birds and the wind and the sounds of Dennis The Menace chucking rocks and cheering every time. Eventually the family left,and i crawled out form the log and headed back to the truck. :D

about 30 minutes later i was back at the truck. Snug as a bug in my new ARBOR-WEAR sweater, thanks to Brother @Delkancott . These Arbor-Wear sweaters breath VERY well, you never get soaked with sweat in them, and they are warm.

shameless selfie, I look dashing in Multicam pants, Arbor-Wear sweater, Henschel leather hat and of course accompanied by a BIG HONKING HUGE RAIDER BOWIE!
    IMG_4696.JPG

got back into the truck and idled down the FSR. Got a better shot of the amazing basalt extrusion. IMG_4704.JPG

drove back down the FSR , noted the trailer was gone from the ditched truck. Probably stolen...it was not a cheap one. IMG_4708.JPG

parked the rig at the truck camper spot and got back into the woods. My blazes from a few weekends ago are already seeping pitch. IMG_4716.JPG IMG_4717.JPG

How i mounted the Bark River/VEHEMENT KNIVES MACV-SOG knife to my SORD webbing. Good ol 5COL EPDM ranger bands. IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4745.JPG

dropped down to the river and got some great photos IMG_4761.JPG IMG_4771.JPG IMG_4773.JPG more

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jdh, Datilite, Reno Lewis and 7 others like this.
  11. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I’m glad you love the Raider Bowie :)

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

made my way upriver a bit, and spotted a giant boulder that formed a cave.

IMG_4778.JPG
    big enough to crawl into.....wish i had the spotlight with me so i light up the interior.....(next weekend I'll attack that side of the river from the logging block on the other side of the river) I gotta check that cave out!
    IMG_4779.JPG
    this is heaven to me....a 4W fly rod and a Wooly Bugger fly.........I could fish this for days.....(not even sure there is fish in here....LOL) water is about 25 - 30 feet deep
    IMG_4781.JPG IMG_4782.JPG

time for lunch...had plenty of food with me, Chorizo Salami, 10 Y/O aged white cheddar, trail mix, dried fruit. IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG

brew up time IMG_4785.JPG

noisy little bugger of a bird....whistling,chirps and tweets and making weird "grackle" noises.......so i call him Sir Grackles. IMG_4790.JPG
    I used alcohol (methyl hydrate) in the SAS-MKettle, it normally burns invisible, but the match stick i used to light it is burning here
    IMG_4801.JPG

made coffee, sat for a while watching Mr Grackle, and then packed up my gear. On the way out I noticed that the pistachios i left for the field mice two weeks ago had been nommed on. :) Happy mouse.

IMG_4804.JPG

good times ! cant wait for the snow to melt soon on the logging roads....want to see the source of water for the penstock / hydro plant.

definitely going to get to that little cave soon!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jdh, Datilite, Reno Lewis and 6 others like this.
  13. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

The visuals, the glacial tracks, beautiful. Like staring back into the wall of time. You can almost hear the slightly guttural sounds of the long sleeping ansestors. More dude..more.

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

pics up

Se7eN, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  15. Packrat

Packrat Member

Awesome post Bushman,thanks for letting us in on the adventure!Waiting for trout pics.....:cool:

Se7eN, The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

need to renew my BC Freshwater, Saltwater & Crabbing fishing license........

17. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Finally got caught back up in your thread and was definitely not disappointed! You’ve picked up some sweet big blades since I last read through here.

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  18. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

You are one of my favourite people. Awesome post. I’m going to buy that headlamp.

19. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Wicked posts brother.

The way you document your trips makes us all feel like we are right there with you.

Keep it up!!

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Be sure to buy spare batts (acebeam21700 ) from ColonelMustard. You can’t help but run it on Turbo Max

Zeek, Se7eN and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.