Woodknot Coffee Press

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by shaneadams90, Mar 25, 2019.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

if you are like me then coffee is a vital part of your kit when venturing outside....for years I've used the JetBoil French press without fail...my only few complaints on that are that it uses my primary pot so you have to be conscious about the order in which you prepare things...clean up can be a hassle...and it can make EVERYTHING taste like coffee.

I've looked at other coffee presses but nothing really fit the bill.....until I saw this small start up company, Woodknot Gear .......................................so I sprung for one after seeing their awesome pics on their Instagram account. (<-----awesome photos-----<<<)

Upon arrival I was impressed with the quality of the Ti cup and the overall fit and finish of the cup and components...

Simply put it takes the place of my existing cup and works well as a coffee press...I like that I can take it completely apart to clean it easily and quickly in the field...it makes coffee and doesn't take up much space...it has handles and a bail and the pics tell the tale...it works..

my ONLY real compliant is that the knob on top of the lid is heavy....very heavy....I'm going to figure something out there to discard that and still have a functional knob...other than that it's a great piece of gear...

I hadn't heard of anyone else that owned one and wanted to let you guys know that so far, I'm very pleased with mine...

Specs from their website:

Weight:
    cup only-3.7oz
    cup with press and titanium lid-7.4oz
    plastic lid-1.9oz
    whole kit in mesh bag-10.1oz

Capacity:
    750 ml (25.4oz)

Dimensions:
    Internal Diameter- 3 3/4"
    Outer Diameter- 4 1/2" (to bale ends)
    Hight-4 1/4" (cup only)
    Hight-5" (to top of knob)

*UltraLight
    *Compact
    *Measurement marks
    *Pour Spout
    *Bail Handle
    *Coffee Press
    *Coffee Lid
    *Double folding handles

DSCF5352.JPG

I used a Badger Claw coffee bag for my entire kit including coffee...it's a little tight but it worked...it encouraged me to make my coffee stronger..
    DSCF5382.JPG

DSCF5371.JPG

Kaw-liga, kyhunt, mtngoat and 3 others like this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Member

I was just checking those out the other day. Looks like a sweet little set-up, and perfect for when I'm just making one cup for myself in camp.

Is the knob just screwed on, or attached in some other way that's more of a PITA to remove?

Zeek and shaneadams90 like this.
  3. shaneadams90

Easy to remove...just threaded on....but heavy as hell for what it is...the whole unit comes apart for easy cleaning...if your into clean....

4. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I dig it, thanks for sharing. I always just do instant coffee in the jet but I might have to upgrade.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. shaneadams90

I'll do the instant in a pinch but I like my coffee pretty stout and instant just doesn't cut it for me...this and the JetBoil press make great coffee....I just won't have to scrub this system like I do my JetBoil.... Pasta Primavera with a strong hint of coffee is an acquired taste.

Rook52 likes this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Member

For my lightweight multi-day trips I've been relying on Via packets. But I often wonder just what the hell I'm actually drinking. It would be nice to have a lightweight option for making real coffee. And if it can also double as my field mug for my other favorite camp beverage, all the better. :D

Zeek, Rook52 and shaneadams90 like this.
  7. shaneadams90

that's my plan...I bet it looses 3 ounces once I replace the knob!

Hammer likes this.
  8. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Lol I never thought of that I just pour water into my snow peak and add coffee. I just use the jet boil cup for food. Your blowing my mind right now :)

shaneadams90 likes this.
  9. shaneadams90

JetBoil makes a killer little coffee press....the only problem is EVERYTHING tastes like coffee unless you REALLY put some elbow grease into it....I normally carry a Ti cup anyway...so I'm just swapping things up a bit...

416z4TDvbzL.jpg

Rook52 likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I normally just have my "Man Servant/Gun Bearer" deliver my fresh coffee before the days events ...I should ask him if this would make his chores easier (not that I really care)..... :D

I really do like the look of that. My best mate and often travelling companion has the Jet Boil and out here water is often in short supply (naturally occurring) so you have to carry what you need which means everything gets a hint of coffee flavour !! This looks like a good option my only possible complaint looking on is the size, I normally start the day with a neat litre of coffee to get my heart in rhythm !!

Thanks for the link Shane !

5col, Hammer and shaneadams90 like this.
  11. Ryno

Ryno Member

That looks like a fun bit of kit!

Have you also considered the less plush option of a Vietnamese phin coffee filter?

Lightweight, easy to clean and cheap as chips.
    (It could also be used as a makeshift water filter if you're into duel use items).

I'm not sure it would help Andy... sounds like he needs an IV. :D

Bushman5 and shaneadams90 like this.
  12. NoRest

NoRest Member

Nice review. I've got one on the way. Thanks

shaneadams90 likes this.