Survival in the News

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Mar 4, 2019.

1. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Yes, I've been following this. Plain awesome. Sadly most don't end up with this conclusion but kids are pretty resilient. Basic kid survival training saved the day. Kudos to all the SAR personnel who worked this one.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

That's awesome. I'm curious about the basic survival taught by 4H that they mention.

Jeremiah Jones likes this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

Not sure but I have been impressed with 4H here. My son was able to compete and teach multiple subjects centered on survival techniques, tools and strategy. We have a good crew of leaders here;)

Jeremiah Jones and Jeff Randall like this.
  5. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Back in the day when I was coming up, both the 4H and scouting programs were pretty good. Of course that was almost a century ago. But even if a program seems sub-par to us I feel any realistic information is good information. Patrick teaches several kid groups each year and it can be frustrating when you don't know whether they're paying attention but sometimes we simply don't know what sticks and what doesn't. Obviously the program these girls went through had an impact and that's all that matters - they're alive and well.

6. DYSPHORIC JOY

I think children have an innate, primitive instinct to survive. I have witnessed couch sitting kids come alive after some time in the woods.

Our 4H crew encourages getting dirty, healthy competition and self-reliance.

Jeremiah Jones, Caleb O and Strigidae like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

This also made the news down here, that is a good outcome !!!! There have been a few like this down here (and some with a much less happy outcome.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Anyone familiar with Ab Taylor’s Hug a tree organization? Seems like it’s a good thing, but I rarely hear it mentioned.

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I think kids pick up on quite a bit even when we think they're distracted or uninterested (seen it firsthand with my niece and nephews). So keep doing those kid survival classes! I believe their minds have more memory elasticity and retention than we give them credit for. Great ending to a survival story!

Jeff Randall and Jeremiah Jones like this.