R.A.T. goes to Karamat Wilderness Ways

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Patrick Rollins, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

0Header.jpg

R.A.T. Goes to Karamat Wilderness Ways

If you have been interested in survival/bushcraft for any length of time, then you most likely have heard of Mors Kochanski. Commonly referred to as the grandfather of bushcraft, Mors was the 5th of six children born to Polish Immigrant parents in 1940. Raised on a farm in Saskatchewan, Mors developed an intense interest in the outdoors and went on to teach survival and bushcraft at University to both students and military units since the late sixties. He has written numerous books and articles, the most famous of which is the book Northern Bushcraft. Karamat Wilderness Ways is the school in Edmonton, Alberta owned by Randy and Lori Breeuwsma where Mors, Kelly Harlton, Dale Kiselyk, Jon McArthur as well as several other instructors teach.

For more information on Mors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mors_Kochanski

For more information on Karamat: https://karamat.com/about-us/about-karamat-wilderness-ways/

Wendy attended the Bushcraftfestivalen in Sweden this past year and a couple of our friends there loaded her down with gifts. One of the ones they wanted her to bring to me was a pamphlet by Mors that he had autographed. Jeff asked if Mors was still teaching and if so, that I should go take a class. Of course, I agreed that was an excellent idea! James Gibson and I had been talking about going for quite some time. Our good friend Darren Baird (Eastwoodland Survival) had attended the Summer class at Karamat twice in previous years and had mentioned wanting to go back so the three of us signed up for the 2019 Extended Winter Bushcraft Wilderness Living Skills/Survival Course.

I re-read Northern Bushcraft for about the 10th time and paid special attention to the section on clothing. After learning that the temps can drop down to as low as -40 f, I really began to pay attention to layering. Here in Georgia, we may see a few days each winter where it gets down below freezing, but -40 is a whole different ballgame. Several folks asked if I was crazy and I explained that if you are wanting to learn winter survival, what better place than Alberta in February?

We arrived safely and spent Friday night in a hotel next to the airport. I had hoped there would be plenty of snow and I was definitely not disappointed. Saturday morning, we made the drive up to Karamat and met the owners Randy and Lori. Very nice people who showed us the shelters and told us to make ourselves at home. We fired up the woodstove and settled in. Throughout the night students arrived from all over and there was a total of 18 of us when class started Sunday morning. We met Kelly Harlton the lead instructor who has been learning from Mors since he was 11 years old, and Dale Kiselyk the assistant instructor.

The first day was mostly lecture by Mors. I did my best to write down everything he said! It isn’t every day that you get to learn from a legend. He covered everything from clothing to hygiene in the wilderness.

1.jpg

On day two we covered several of the 7 essential bushcraft knots, the king of which is the Canadian jam knot. Of course, up there they just call it the “jam knot”! Afterwards we went for a long stroll in the snow to gather up spruce poles which we would use to make Roycroft ski shoes, the Harlton “H” bucksaw, and our Roycroft pack frames. All of which can be made using only a knife and some paracord.

For this trip, I wanted to use the knives of our Camplore series for different tasks. The spruce poles were skinned using the PR 4 and the Gibson axe. The Harlton bucksaw and Roycroft pack frame were carved with the RB 3. Once the parts were back at camp, we were able to periodically work on them throughout the rest of the week.

2.JPG
    3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.jpg

10.jpg

Time flies when you are having fun, so the rest of the week flew by very quickly. We covered tree felling, bush beds, shelters, fire building using twig bundles, types of fires, natural cordage, knife sharpening, and much much more.

11.jpg

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

This class was some of the most fun I have ever had and I learned a ton of information about cold weather survival. I can’t recommend it enough to anyone with an interest in wilderness skills and bushcraft. Huge thanks to Randy and Lori Breeuwsma, Mors Kochanski, Kelly Harlton, Dale Kiselyk, Jon McArthur and everyone else involved in putting it on. Now, I just have to figure out a way to get Jeff to let me go back…

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome stuff! Amazing to see awesome skills and people all in one place. Great to see content from Patrick! Maybe I just miss the content but I view Patrick in high reguard right up there with Mors.

3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for posting Patrick! What a great trip idea and fantastic photos!!!!
    We know how hectic your schedule is!!!

shaneadams90 and Patrick Rollins like this.
  4. Patrick Rollins

20.JPG 21.JPG 22.JPG 23.JPG 24.JPG 25.JPG 26.JPG More to come

KnOeFz, JMick, Datilite and 15 others like this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

upload_2019-3-2_9-21-11.jpeg

Greatest photo ever

6. Patrick Rollins

7. Patrick Rollins

Appreciate the kind words! I'll try to do a better job of posting stuff here on the forum.

8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

That would be awesome! One of these years when I have the vacation time and the cash I plan on coming to learn from you! In the mean time. Stiff like this and the videos are awesome. You are why I got into Esee and joined the forum.

9. junglebum

junglebum Member

Always been a dream to learn from Mors.

10. Strigidae

Most folks would pose for a photo with their blade or a product they made... one of those fellas is posing with a chainsaw. Jeff would approve. Chainsaw bushcraft coming soon to the Randall farm. :)

11. Patrick Rollins

Trip of a lifetime that's for sure.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Awesome stuff right there!!

Zeek, Patrick Rollins and Strigidae like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for posting @Patrick Rollins. Looking forward to learning some new skills.

14. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Hell with ESEE, buy a Stihl. I use my Stihl chainsaw way more than I use anyone's knife.

15. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Collaboration would be even better.

16. Patrick Rollins

Every afternoon at 4 we would make a firewood run. Chainsaw definitely came in handy! I would have hated to have cut as much wood as we used with our homemade bucksaws.

17. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I'm working on mounting a small 2-stroke engine on an ESEE-5. We shall see.

18. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Fantastic trip and photos.

Thanks for posting.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  19. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

Right on.. Great stuff.. I bet that was such an amazing trip.. Mors is a true legend.. Thanks for sharing..

I'm digging James's anorak.. Got any Info on it ?

shaneadams90 likes this.
  20. Strigidae

Its a prototype i had made and he liked so we traded.