February Challenge

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by R Stowe, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

I'm working on something, don't know if I'll get a chance to finish it. I'll try to get out some over the next couple days.

R Stowe and Bushman5 like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

just back from a 485 KM round trip out to Manning Park (and a dogleg tour to Copper Creek, 60 kms before Princeton BC)

Didn't get to build the snow shelter I wanted to (snow trench lined with thick soft boughs and a roof of poles and boughs), because i was in a Nature Conversation Area and they have a strict no tree/branch cutting (even off the ground) policy. Park Rangers patrol even winter. (even up the seriously remote backcountry trails).

So I adapted and improvised.....and dug out a classic snow cave in the 8'+ tall x 15' - 20' deep piles of snow the grader piled up in the trail head parking lot. Had the whole place to myself.

starting the dig.
    IMG_3774.JPG

this would have fit me just fine as a 65lb x 4' nothing twerp of a kid.......:D...i used to dig tons of little rooms and link them all with little tunnels and slide thru all the tunnels into each room.....Now its a HECK OF A LOT MORE DIGGIN'......LMAO!!!!
    IMG_3776.JPG

wind was ripping down the mountain valley from the right, and it was COLD (-15 C) . So i piled all the snow i removed on that side of the entrance, as a windblock. I then doglegged the sleeping platform to the right to get out of the wind even further. Dug a "cold well" (lower floor) to allow cold air to settle below the sleeping platform
    IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

not done yet, but zero wind here (until you crawl back outside :confused::confused: )
    IMG_3778.JPG

4000 lumen interior lighting
    IMG_3784.JPG

dialed the light down to 1000 lumens...was going blind.....kept lengthening the sleeping platform IMG_3785.JPG IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG
    sun shade , doubling as a reflective mat .
    IMG_3789.JPG

3' thick roof, punched several air holes thru with the shovel (blade removed) SNOW CAVE SAFETY TIP>>>>>>>always punch at least 5 airholes 2" wide in the snow shelter, and KEEP a stout stick INSIDE the shelter to punch out the snow plugs that form as the snow blankets the shelter at night. Other wise you can asphyxiate if you have the front door sealed up.

IMG_3798.JPG

not quite done, but ran out of time (still had a three hour drive back). I would have made the sleeping platform longer, dug out some shelves for gear and candles, and smoothed out the inside walls (would have used my SAS-MKettle - the heat would have melted all the inside surfaces smooth like glass). Also would have piled up big snow blocks at the entrance, lined the inside platform with boughs (if i was allowed to cut them) . That windblock on the right worked GREAT
    IMG_3792.JPG

still had fun, this only took about 1 hour of so . With no shovel it would have taken 3 - 5 hours digging with a stick.

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Packrat, R Stowe, IW17 and 5 others like this.
  3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

I've never dug a snow cave, I don't know if there's been enough snow around here in my lifetime, but it's on my list. Thanks for the excellent example. And thanks for participating.

4. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

Well, I got something done. Started with a fallen cedar, cleared some limbs out of the way. Placed some limbs vertically along the trunk, spread a mylar blanket across the north side, to block the worst wind, then proceeded to pile limbs and brush along both sides. Wasn't able to completely finish it, but it is something. My baby girl helped a little. And, of course the pictures posted out of order, but you get the idea. IMG_20190225_131707932_HDR.jpg IMG_20190225_131830965_HDR.jpg IMG_20190225_131721429_HDR.jpg IMG_20190225_131632943_HDR.jpg IMG_20190225_130217685.jpg IMG_20190225_125046011.jpg IMG_20190225_122405148_HDR.jpg IMG_20190225_120102465_HDR.jpg IMG_20190224_161222949_HDR.jpg IMG_20190224_161222949_HDR.jpg

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Now its rolling! Well done guys!

R Stowe and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  6. R Stowe

Looks good to me. Some more leaves or boughs would have you some decent insulation. I can totally relate to the lack of time. I appreciate the entry.

Jeremiah Jones likes this.
  7. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

It didn't come out exactly how I had pictured but it was fun to do and good experience. This is the first shelter i've done in this style.

Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  8. R Stowe

Better to learn from it now then when you really need it.

Jeremiah Jones likes this.
  9. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

That TM blade is just bad to the bone! :cool:

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

@Bushman5 I'm glad you demonstrated that snow shelter. The next time we get snow I'll get the loader out and try to scrape up enough to put in a pile and dig my own shelter. :rolleyes:

DYSPHORIC JOY and Bushman5 like this.
  12. R Stowe

@DYSPHORIC JOY well done as always. That shelter would keep you out of the wind for sure. I especially liked the pine needle gathering method. I totally agree with those closing remarks. That shelter will be standing for a long time.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

AWESOME!!!

DYSPHORIC JOY and R Stowe like this.
  14. DYSPHORIC JOY

Thanks Rick. When he gets done with his super shelter, I am going to move him out of the house for good.

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

im hoping to go back this weekend and make it bigger, add more air holes, couple shelves and smooth out the interior. Was thinking the steam from my little Mkettle would speed things along. Then warm it up with a candle or 5

16. DYSPHORIC JOY

It is my son’s design based on his ideas for improvements on the TB1 and executed by TM Hunt.

Todd did a limited run of 13 (GD13).

Bushman5, R Stowe and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  17. R Stowe

One more day to get your submission entered!

Jeremiah Jones and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  18. DYSPHORIC JOY

19. DYSPHORIC JOY

20. R Stowe

Good stuff everyone. I’ll get a winner selected soon.