Gear Racks - lets see / hear some ideas

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

looking to build a gear rack / tree for hanging my packs and multiple webbing kits .

Let’s see some ideas......I’ll be using salvaged 2x4’s most likely (free from work)

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    Got my son a "1 asterisk " patch for his vest, he sent me a pic of it on his plate vest, was hanging on a gizmo in his quarters like this.

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Nice! i like that. Issue is i have 4 sets of webbing ranging from ultralight to heavy with large pouches, plus 5 backpacks ranging from EDC to my Halftrak (and soon a 100+ Liter sized Bergan), plus a chest rig a(and an inbound plate carrier with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" steel plates for weight training) .<<<<I want to get all this gear off the pile on the ground and get it up in the air where I can easily organize them, access the pouches for loading kit and keep it out of the range of Pipsqueak's marking :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Nice idea

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@anrkst6973
    That is a pretty common way to store body armor and works really well. ESP if you are trying to organize multiple sets of body armor.

@Bushman5
    I am seriosly town on proper way to store/ organize gear. Well probably over cautious I do not like hanging my gear for any extended period of time. My preference is to layout gear and prevent any unnecessary stress to prolong use and life of the gear.

That being said I know laying everything down is not exactly practical and as you mentioned loading gear is far easier hanging up. What you might consider is building something similiar to a book shelf but with sections only as wide as your widest gear. Pretty much “cubby” style but then you can designate specific sections to each purpose. This would enable you to either hang gear or set down gear in each section as need dictates.

Storing web gear is a PITA IMO... This is one type of gear that concerns me to hang up. If you have significant wait hanging from the gear I worry about areas weakening and or breaking down on unequallay distributed weight.

Garrett83 and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the webbing is not that heavy......modern materials, laser cut laminates, Id say max weight of the heaviest webbing (L.R.R.P.R.) is less than 18lbs , even with the canteens filled. It would be hanging for 5 days and then used on weekends. The SORD webbing yoke and belt is rated well over 500 lbs break test (the plastic rings that hold the webbing) < that would be the first thing to break.

I like your ideas of cubby holes, alreadey got 3 massive 3/4" plywood cabinets with 4 large cubby's each) (Thanks Dad :) ), but i find it hard to stow the webbing and access it for loading, changing out pouches etc. Hence why i want a hanging system

7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Two words....

8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Peg board....

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

think i'm going to go with something like this......i have a nice 10 year+ aged douglas fir timber about 5" x 5" x 5' or so, plus two thinner 4" x4" x 5' or so timbers.....They are gathering dust , might as well use them. For the gear rod/rackarms I have a length of quality (not home depot crap) 2x4 at work, will need to bring it in and let it dry a bit.

my other option is use my old heavy steel stereo amp stand....4 x 3/4" plywood shelves , could just add a gear rack arm (bolted onto the top shelf....)

any other ideas??? (No not selling gear and simplifying. )

anrkst6973 and Strigidae like this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I used a bar made from common steel water pipe bolted to the ceiling and and short HD rubber bungee's to hang my old vest/web gear. Because water and food items got removed or emptied I would "swag" the weight at around 14 lbs ( totally not scientific bathroom scale averages 18-23 lbs depending on trip lenght, season, purpose, yada yada). I just never worried about stitching or hanging fatigue. :).
    My walkabout pack is 18 lbs, I know because I had to weigh in for Sunshines next fitness challenge. I wouldn't think that would overload the d-rings, shoulder straps, or carry handle, at least not in the short term. Maybe if left that way for years and years perhaps.
    Perception wise, How much old military surplus stuff, with questionable storage history, is still out there 20-30 even 40 years old and still holding together? Just some thoughts....

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Rick R

Rick R Member

I like this because it is going to let stuff air out after use. If worried about stressing the straps you could add adjustable supports under the vest to take some of the weight off.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. chorpie

chorpie Member

Saw this on the face pages

[​IMG]

Rick R, Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Haven’t had time to get out to Moms and use Dads tablesaw and drill press , to cut the wood for my gear rack.

In the meantime , good ol ghetto DIY gear rack to the rescue

4E4A5744-0808-4CF4-8194-776DEEE991D1.jpeg

Twoody88 and Rick R like this.