ESEE 4 Mystery Steel Pass Around----all spots taken

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Feb 8, 2019.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Sorry you feel that way @Bushman5 I was actually thinking about 2 things....

1. Keeping it simple and fair for all involved...I did not want to add unnecessary shipping to the guy that has to ship it to Canada...nor did I want to go thru the hassle of trying to get someone else to pay for it. Complications like that always slow down an other wise slow process.

2. My plan to was to keep it "CONUS for now" as stated and then send them all to Canada and let a Canadian pass around take place. Not ignoring you at all, but rather KEEPING EVERYONE involved in mind along with accomplishing my original task.

I've noticed that knife trades and other items often get hung up in Canadian customs and did not want these blades sitting there...I want feedback ASAP and they do me no good sitting in an office somewhere...it’s the same reasons I “ignored” our European, Australian, and Chinese customers on this forum. Simple logistics and trying to keep this thing moving to accomplish OUR task. Nothing personal.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

If we were going to include countries with the largest amount of users, then we would have included several countries in Europe. Those folks far exceed what we do in North America when it comes to actually using a knife! Shane has a good plan, so we will stick with it.

3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I’ll be sharpening them with an Edge Pro Professional.

Not Sure, RocketmanDane, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

This is cool, I just don't use a knife enough in a week to compare 3 knives. Like today I haven't even used a knife, it was all chainsaw, pole saw and machete work. I would have to make up a test and just chose a day to do it. I am curious to see if you can visually identify the one that is different by the end of this pass around.

Not Sure likes this.
  5. erik

erik Member

That's actually my plan - I figure the knives will show up in mid-June, so I may use this as an excuse to take a day off work and go spend a night in the woods.

Not Sure, ASH and RocketmanDane like this.
  6. shaneadams90

Sounds like a good plan....it would be hard to justify EDCing 3 ESEE 4s....so a trip to the woods sounds like a great plan.....

7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’m just happy that @Bcamos is in line after me... My sharpening would scare most people... I’ll give it the safest touch up I can and if @Bcamos doesn’t mind I’ll let him give it a better sharpening if Need be... I apologize ahead of time @Bcamos ....

Zeek, Not Sure, Bcamos and 2 others like this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

@shaneadams90 -- I don't think I'd gotten a response regarding going last? Then I could test 'er out at both the angle I receive it at and how I like to run edge on hard-use fixed blades. Or not -- I'm just curious if that'd be an option to satisfy everyone.

Not Sure likes this.
  9. shaneadams90

We have other testing to do following this pass around...I would prefer to keep the edges as close to the factory 20* as possible.

Not Sure, Kaw-liga, STPNWLF and 2 others like this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

You've got it. Figured I'd check!

Not Sure and shaneadams90 like this.
  11. shaneadams90

Thanks...I forgot to get back to you regarding that....

12. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Ain't you got stones?o_O I would think every man would have a set of stones:p

Zeek, Not Sure, shaneadams90 and 2 others like this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Honestly I don’t think it’s necessary for every single person to sharpen them if they don’t want to or don’t have the skills. It’ll make it a lot harder for someone who is set up. I know @Bcamos and I both have EP’s so we can keep it exactly 20*.

Zeek, Not Sure, shaneadams90 and 2 others like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Public Apology to @shaneadams90 , @Jeff Randall & all of the Esee / RAT crew.

my post was supposed to be a classic Canadian Humor (South Park Style, with Newfie Jokes) JAB at how us Canucks are left behind all the time with knife releases, gear releases etc.....we often have to endure a year plus after a product is released before we get it.......and we often get it at DOUBLE (and then some) the cost that USA buyers get it for......as well we never really get to try out gear etc offered by the MFG's, before its release.

My post was not a slag at anyone at ESEE/RAT.....when I posted "Thats Codswallop" at @shaneadams90 , I was not trying to be confrontational or angry etc....far from it.......Its a classic Canadian (east coast) Newfie euphemism , one that up here makes people laugh,pause and take a moment to think about stuff.

my frustration with knife & gear companies, 95% which are based in the USA, is that us Canadians are always overlooked for such testing..........YET....we have a HUGE user base up here, ranging from LEO/Swat/MILITARY, SAR, trappers, hunters, outdoors people, Cubs/Scouts/Eagles etc.......who all live in environments ranging from rain forest JUNGLE to desert to arctic and many other environments.

If it was not for Warriors & Wonders and Bushcraft Canada retailers here in BC , Canada would not have access to the majority of knives, gear and other that you folks in the USA take for granted. We literally pay double for knives....gear....etc......on top of that we pay for import duties, high shipping costs and a crappy USD to CAD exchange rate

I guess I really wanted my BC Brother @Reno Lewis , as well as @Switchblade and others up here,to get a chance to test the mystery steel knives offered up by ESEE. All those local lads are highly respected in the global knife world. i felt that their testing and results and opinions would be valuable to ESEE........."TESTED IN CANADA".......I was thinking in my head of the marketing opportunities for Esee/RAT......."tested in Canada"

Again, I was not trying to be a grade A butthole to @shaneadams90 or ESEE etc.

I just wanted us to have a chance to test Esee knives (mystery steel) here in Canada.

Shane and I had a private conversation about this, and now i understand his position...our borders can be tricky. i had no idea the issues he faces sending knives up here.........

Switchblade, Zeek, STPNWLF and 4 others like this.
  15. jeeter

jeeter Member

I'd love to get in on this, but I don't have the time to get out enough to fully test 3 knives.

Wait, Canada has a military?:D;)

Not Sure likes this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Don't try to act like Brit's stirring their warm tea is actual "knife use".

Zeek and Not Sure like this.
  17. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

No, no, no. I was thinking of other countries in Europe. Britain and Canada are the same country.

18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

HAHA

Zeek likes this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo Member

Best not say that when you're in Quebec.

20. shaneadams90

Thanks @Bushman5 ....it's all good here...once we close this one out in CONUS and I get to do the evaluation that needs to be done as follow up I will ship it to you and you Canadian guys can continue to contribute to this. There is some significant gravity to this project and getting good and timely feedback is vital to this task.

Thanks again,
    Shane