The Sharpening Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevo, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Got bored last night and decided to modify the blade by removing part of the coating and putting it through the lansky treatment. 20181119_170225.jpg 20181119_170312.jpg 20181119_170340.jpg

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

Had a few cool ones come across the bench lately. This is the knife I'll be spending my Sunday working over. Old carbon butchers knife. Surprisingly good shape for its age. 20181125_132443.jpg 20181125_132454.jpg

Here's a quick pic after the initial scrub with a rust eraser.
    20181125_133424.jpg
    The nice thing about these is that they're super easy to clean up.

3. Kevo

Kevo Member

Cleaned, shaped, sharpened, and oiled up. 20181125_151753.jpg

4. Kevo

Kevo Member

Got my hands on another old carbon cleanup to fiddle around with on the long weekend. 20181223_192315.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some nice after pics once I get a little bit of free time.

5. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Nice @Kevo , never heard of Armstrong forge? Good looking cleaver to.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kevo like this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

Thanks! Same here with armstrong. Best I could dig up was a little bit of copyright information from the 80's. It looks really similar to the Ontario old hickory butcher, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shared a common origin.

The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.
  7. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Cooking dinner the other night, I found the primary kitchen knife that I use (just a cheaper Henckels) was dull to the point of being unusable and had a few dings

Instead of breaking out my diamond plates, I figured I'd see if I could get a decent edge with just a small stone I found on the beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll be keeping this stone for sure.

[​IMG]

8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Now you just gotta' grind a flat surface on it. There's a beach near me (one of the few beaches on MDI not owned by the National Park) that has copious amounts of black siltstone that makes a fantastic hone. Because it's sedimentary I'm able to find lots of pretty flat pieces that, if I had to, could be lapped against one another to fully flatten them. Fortunately I have a cheapo 12" round diamond plate for that and it goes a lot faster, but still takes a while. A masonry disc in an angle grinder does a nice job of hogging off any lumps that need evening out and gets me closer to flat before going to the disc, but it makes a ton of dust, so doing it outside is a must, and I'm not doing that this time of year. :p

Reno Lewis and Kevo like this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Need some help. I'm pretty sure it's on me but every strop I get and use ends up bumpy and they get to where they don't want to take the compound anymore. I have to press really hard for it to stick then it a lot of it comes off when I strop. Any ideas how I'm messing up? These are a Tandy strop (top pic) and the worksharp field sharpener. 20190202_170458.jpg 20190202_170516.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

You using the paste or the wax blocks? Always the same brand?

11. Reno Lewis

This video should help.

Best way of evenly applying wax based compound I've found.

The applicable portion of the video begins around the 07:00 mark.

Sam, Knifehunt and Drew RedBear like this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

20190203_041300.jpg
    I'm using a wax compound I believe, it's from Lowes and very hard. It's the only one I've ever used also

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thank you

14. Kevo

Kevo Member

The video that @Reno Lewis posted is basically what I do when I'm applying to leather. Usually if I going to reload a strop, I'll do my best to scrape off the old stuff with something like a butter knife. I also like to warm up my block with a hair dryer for a few seconds, and I'll run my hand back and forth on the bare leather a bunch to warm that up a bit too.

15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I've scraped them before but never warmed up the compound. I appreciate it.

16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That video really helped. It worked on my worksharp but not so well on my Lansky, but I think the leather was too smooth or I used too much oil. Anyway, as I was sharpening it I noticed the knife has an area that was either sharpened wrong at the factory or it actually looks like it was indented by going too deep there. I did what I could but even with a diamond attachment (lansky) it would not come out even and is still indented. It seemed to get sharp so I tried it on some wood and it got a small chip in it. I have it at 20 degrees each side as I always do, so it should not have chipped at all. I'll have to wait for taxes to send it off to esee, unless there's a way to fix it. But I really don't want to remove a lot of metal to do so. 20190206_032238.jpg 20190206_032301.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla and Reno Lewis like this.
  17. Reno Lewis

Is it actually chipped, or rolled/flattened?

I'd hog off enough steel to make that completely vanish and test it again.

18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It's chipped. I was gonna work on it today if I have time, but it's a brand new knife so I really didn't want to put a lot of effort into it. I'll see how it goes though

19. Kevo

Kevo Member

Could be that you have yourself some very thin and fatigued metal across the edge there. Happens from time to time when you sharpen an already sharp knife, the apex gets a bit too thin and can start chipping. I'd recommend dulling the knife by running the edge several times along a piece of glass or a smooth rock. I'll do 15 light swipes or so to make sure I get that old brittle steel out of the way. If you have a piece of cork or felt handy, it helps to run the knife across that as well to make sure you don's have any tiny flecks of the old edge hanging on.

20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Yeah that could be causing the chip. But from the first pic and where it's indented it's pretty thin there. So I'd have to take off 1/8" at least to make it uniform. It'll give me something to do though lol. Thanks guys for the help