Light Weight Gear Options

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Rook52, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

All you gear junkies I need some help/ideas on lite weight gear. I hunt more than I camp but it’s the same thing I need to carry it on my back. I mainly do 5-7 day hunts. Temps can range from 70 degrees to 0.

I have some stuff like a jet boil, snow peak Ti cup and fork, exotac ripspool, nano spark, match cap, eureka teragon 2 person tent, and a 32 degree sleeping bag that packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle.

Looking for help with a small packable camp chair, tent poles that fold down shorter, sleeping pad, and anything else that you guys like to pack. I have a 5200 cu in pack but other hunting gear and food will be in the pack.

Feel free to post tips tricks whatever. Just living out of a pack. You don’t just need to answer my questions if you guys have some chime in.

BlueDogScout and Reno Lewis like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

BlueDogScout and Rook52 like this.
  3. Rook52

Rook52 Member

It’s s chinook brand bag, and to be fair it’s a little bigger than a Nalgene bottle but it’s pretty small.
    8E5D63E0-3A06-4864-A300-8D67F442F1BE.jpeg

Datilite, Reno Lewis and BlueDogScout like this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Reno Lewis likes this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Have you though of a hammock chair? Or will there not be many trees? You can look at Dutch gear and make your own poles won’t be much lighter but you can make the break down length whatever you want. I don’t skimp on the the pad. If you’re winter hunting get the highest R rating you want to carry. I use the alps brand with a 7 r value (0 degree) and weighs 2 pounds. 2.5” thick

JV3 and Rook52 like this.
  6. JV3

JV3 Member

helinox chair zero and exped air pad.

how many times are you boiling water and what's your environment like? i prefer zelph's fancee feast alcohol stove (with the simmer ring if i want to keep stuff warm) if i bring my own fuel over my jetboil or snow peak stove by far...but i usually use an emberlit titanium stove since dead wood is everywhere where i camp.

last, i'd get rid of that tent and switch to a cuben fiber tarp but it's $500'sh...i myself haven't made that switch yet...or at least a kifaru tarp for $250'sh.

Ravenous12, Rook52 and shaneadams90 like this.
  7. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Has anyone use a camping quilt and sleep pad combo. Saves a ton of weight and seems like a good option of a sleeping bag. I was looking at enlightened brand.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

In late spring through early fall I just use a pad and blanket haven’t tried it once it gets cold

9. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I’ve always been a sleeping bag guy but I’m trying to get my sleep system under 5lbs. That’s tent, sleeping quilt, and pad.

I should not run into extreme temps but I’m planning for it to dip into the 20’s at night.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Good luck. My shelter is 1.5 pounds, my pad is 2 (well insulated) sleeping bag though is tricky.

11. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I'll second the Helinox stuff. Sucked paying 400$ for a cot, but it rocks. I also have the camp chair and the table both are very light but usable.

JV3 likes this.
  12. Hammer

Hammer Member

That's pretty much all I use any more. Enlightened Equipment "Enigma" quilt and a Klymit "Static V" pad. Huge weight savings.

Strigidae and Rook52 like this.
  13. Rook52

Rook52 Member

That’s what I was looking at camofire always has the klymit on sale and I was going to get the enigma. So glad you chimed in. Thanks

Hammer likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Member

You bet. The Enlightened quilts are really versatile and can be used across a big temp range. Open them up like a blanket for warm temps or cinch them down tight around your pad to keep the heat in. The strap system that's designed to integrate with a sleeping pad works really well.

15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Same. Stopped using bags years ago. Quilt and pad or quilt and under quilt. Never looked back.

16. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

How different is a quilt from something like a Kifaru woobie or a HPG Serape?

BlueDogScout likes this.
  17. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

What is the pack size and weight? Please and thanks

I was curious about this as well. Also there is the OSNI from wilderness innovations that similar to the serape.

18. Hammer

Hammer Member

Pretty different. A quilt like the EE is really designed for sleeping in, not multi-purpose like the Woobie or Serape. As such, I think it's more efficient in it's design for keeping heat in. Enclosed toe box, strap system to close it up around your body, etc.

On the other hand, something like a Woobie is the better bet if you plan to use it in a variety of other ways besides just sleeping in. It's probably going to be more durable if you're hunkering in it while scouting/hunting, for example. The Enlightened quilt isn't flimsy by any means, but not designed for lots of abrasion with rocks, etc.

I think 'which is better' just really comes down to what your usage goals are. For me it would come down to this - If I'm out day hiking/hunting in shoulder season and/or marginal conditions, I'd probably throw a Woobie/Serape in my pack for extra insulation while glassing, etc. and the peace of mind that I could do an emergency overnight bivy in it if I needed to. But I was planning on hiking and camping for multiple days, I'd take the quilt.

An Enigma rated to 20º weighs 1.3 pounds. I don't know the exact packed dimensions, but it's 850-fill down, so it packs really small. Esp. if you put it in a compression sack. While I can't say for sure, I'm guessing that it packs smaller than something like the Woobie/Serape, as down is usually a lot more compressible than synthetic insulation, and retains loft better over the long haul.

I'm only mentioning Enlightened Equipment because that's what I have experience with and have really liked mine. My wife has one as well and we've done a bunch of trips with them and she's sold on them as well. But there are a lot of other good quilt options out there worth researching.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Delkancott and BlueDogScout like this.
  19. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thank I have seen their stuff good to know it’s quality. The weight is fantastic. Pack size sounds good too. I have a great bag but it’s too karge for backpacking. Been looking at lighter options.

20. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Thank you