Lock Picking

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by jlowrance, Jan 29, 2017.

1. james gormley

james gormley Member

Finally picked my Master #3 open today. Took the damn thing out of the vice and just held it and opens no problem now.
    Now I need to spp it. I have the progressive lock set comi g from sparrows on monday. I'm also waiting for the reload kit and decoder pick.

Not Sure likes this.
  2. Clown

Clown Member

I've had this set of Ti SERE Picks for several years but never used them. Finally gave it a shot last night. Success in a matter of minutes! Lots of fun. I'll be doing more of this in the near future :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Not Sure, Bushman5 and C99c like this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

I've been doing it off and on a few years, love it. Pretty much got stuck at the lower end Abus locks. Eventual goal, would be picking "best" style locks to control, where you could remove the core. I have a practice lock that can be re-pinned with varying levels of difficulty. Right now I'm at 6 pins with 1 serrated and 2 spools.

Not Sure likes this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I've picked to control a couple times and it's been sheer luck lol. Even with keys for reference, I can't tell the difference by feel.

Mudman likes this.
  5. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

Nice. I’ve been into Lock picking forvthe past few years. It’s definitely been a cool and interesting subject to study and learn.

I use / carry a Sparrows Tuxedo set with a few added extras.
    15C4C338-3166-462A-B42C-7855233EC85A.jpeg

I’ve had to pick quite a few lockers at work since my coworkers seem to always lose their keys.
    48AB4B3C-79F4-41CC-811C-C09AE51C7D97.jpeg

D443568D-B398-44F5-A710-2F5BD43FB917.jpeg

6. Mudman

Mudman Member

haha still exciting though I bet. I can't do it at all. Although the cores I have are hard to clamp up in a good position for work. Developing the sensitivity for higher end locks takes a very long time, but disappears super quick. At some point I was up to a 5 pin setup with 4 spools and a serrated, after several multi hour sessions, I could effectively get it within 20 minutes (still super long). I take a 1 month break, and couldn't open a single spool 5 pinner in 15 minutes. :oops:
    You know your focusing too hard, when your sweating in an air conditioned room- doing little to no physical exertion.

Recently broke a bogata rake, need a new one now. My first time raking too, must be doing it wrong.

Some of the hardest locks I've picked, were masterlocks that were stuck from grime. :mad:

Kevo likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ flush them with silicone lubricant spray

Mudman and Kevo like this.
  8. Mudman

Mudman Member

It was a personal challenge to myself. :)

Kevo and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Kevo

Kevo Member

Interesting anecdote happened last night. My neighbor accidentally locked himself out while taking the dog out. Normally I'd just invite them in and pull a chair, but we are dealing with some bitter cold, so I don't want to see a locksmith or maintenance man outside unless it's absolutely necessary. So with some apprehension, I let him know that I could probably get him in there quickly. I did not pick the lock, but simply shimmed the knob strike with a thin but of plastic. This usually raises eyebrows and puts you on a bad radar. Thankfully, it actually lead to a really good discussion about home security and safety! Remember, always use your deadbolt folks.

Not Sure likes this.
  10. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

For the man on the go or the DIY , the inside of windshield wiper blades will provide some great material.
    For Rakes, a chainsaw file will make a serviceable Bogota, or can be faked with a Leatherman.
    The stainless steel also makes some really good tension bars, different blades will provide different widths
    and thickness.
    If traveling a lot, it is handy to be able to whip up a set if needed.
    Apologizes for the lame Picture.
    IMG_5011.JPG

Kevo likes this.
  11. Mudman

Mudman Member

I've made some out of wiper blades, but didn't like them much. Maybe too spoiled with my Sparrows? I used a hairpin a few times and really like those, but they only last about 2 or 3 picks before something breaks.