Unforgiving country...

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Andy the Aussie, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....this is a sad but not at all unexpected outcome.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...a-billen-body-emily-gap-alice-spring/10721000

The Alice in in the middle of Aus and is notoriously hot and dry, the area she was found is actually not far from town (maybe 20km) and is not considered remote by our standards...but it would have been HOT and you would need to consume and have a good deal of water available to you (there are very very few natural water sources) if you are going to do any kind of activity, hell out there I use to sweat THINKING about stepping out of the air-conditioned LandCruiser !!

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Sad deal. You have to admire her though for taking on such adventures. Seemed to be fairly well experienced at doing this.

3. Andy the Aussie

Yes, she was apparently, I know nothing of her history (where else in the world she traveled) but it has been the case that many (particularly European) travelers have never encountered conditions that exist in the centre, west and northern extremities. The lack of other people and any kind of facilities if often lost on them. Heat/dehydration kills more here than our famous wildlife !! I am NOT from that country but have traveled and, as a much younger man, worked in the NT. When I go there it is always well planned. You can be "just outside town" (as this poor lady was - you can see "The Gap" from town) and yet never see another person for days, especially in the summer months.

I will try and find the story of the Scottish tourist that dies out near Palm Valley (it's west of The Alice), simple simple errors left one dead and one close to it....

4. Andy the Aussie

5. McKROB

McKROB Member

There’s really no excuse for this sort of thing happening with the technology that’s available in this day and age. If you can afford to go on a vacation like that, you can afford a Spot or inReach device, she would no doubt be alive today had she been carrying one.

It is an unforgiving, beautiful, yet desolate place. I spent a fair bit of time working in Queensland and WA, and I wouldn’t even step foot out of the truck without water in-hand, next to West Africa it’s hottest place I’ve ever been.

My last job in WA I was drinking about 10 litres of water a day on average, walking 10-20km/day in 40c+ heat, it was brutal, I didn’t go anywhere without my 5 litre Willow jug, Camelbak bladder, and electrolytes!

2C6B4010-FAAD-47CF-9337-C66E7A91B24C.jpeg 518B42A6-6D92-407E-8150-063462364D6B.jpeg

6. McKROB

McKROB Member

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Lytton regularly sees those temps and higher. Get yourself into a rock wall canyon...the oven effect is even more extreme.

I have recorded with a glass thermometer , temps pf 54 deg C here in Lytton. In the middle of a rock walled ravine.

but its a dry heat.......;)