Long range rifles

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

When I first started shooting my R700, I cleaned out the factory trigger with lighter fluid and adjusted it down to the lightest setting. I honestly felt that was a pretty damn good trigger! Very little creep, no over-travel, not too bad of a break and weight was good. Fast forward, I put a LaRue MBT in one of my AR's and my mind was blown. I understand it's a 2-stage but the amazing break made me realize what I was missing.

I did some trading and picked up a Triggertech Special with the flat blade and a digital Chronograph. The trigger is night and day over the factory x-mark pro.

0CE7A790-9F47-417B-AED7-12C50B6B3580.jpeg

58E2AF97-302D-4188-87F1-39491118C464.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Datilite, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I think i need another bolt action. The long range game is a sickness.

The Marsh Gorilla, C99c and Zeek like this.
  3. ny700

ny700 Member

E3B308D5-31E6-40E0-8967-3DD2C3CE2BBC.jpeg
    Yes, yes you do. And can I suggest this one that just picked up. Grab a gun has them for 1589.99 and Cabelas matched it from $1799.99

Tikka T3 Tac A1 6.5 creedmore. 2 stage trigger, comes with two mags ($74.99/ a piece) and currently an online rebate for a third mag. Also comes threaded with thread protector and the muzzle brake which looks and feels identical to the one from the Sako TRG which is $200.

It’s pricey but it’s out of the box ready and a lot of rifle for the money. The feel of the action and the trigger as is will smoke Remington, savage and ruger.

Hopefully will get to the range next Sunday to see how she does. Just waiting on a scope mount. The one thing they did wrong was use a 0* picitinny rail. This is a long range rig and it should have a 20moa base instead. So i ordered a 1 piece mount from really right stuff that has 6mils built in.

ManOfSteel, Bcamos, Datilite and 5 others like this.
  4. Strigidae

Yes i want that one too.

Zeek likes this.
  5. Strigidae

I want them all.

Zeek likes this.
  6. ny700

ny700 Member

I know that feeling

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

My old old old SSG with some updates...

[​IMG]

ManOfSteel, Bcamos, Datilite and 6 others like this.
  8. Strigidae

Oh my. I love that.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. ny700

ny700 Member

SSG line is very underrated. True tactical vs tacticool

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. ny700

ny700 Member

510E3D48-C2D1-4E0B-9558-90D246D4CAC8.jpeg 82B85F96-EF3A-4ED1-9D7B-40D971E60F51.jpeg 03800D45-1ED9-48F5-97B8-DFC4CF48C227.jpeg 82B85F96-EF3A-4ED1-9D7B-40D971E60F51.jpeg 03800D45-1ED9-48F5-97B8-DFC4CF48C227.jpeg Speaking of tacticool my new Tikka Tac A1
    Steiner T5xi 5-25x56
    Really right stuff 6mil mount
    Revolution bipod
    Sterk AI bolt knob

Datilite, ManOfSteel, Bcamos and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

...... yes they were one of the first true precision rifles that were widely available commercially (short of having something built). This one dates to the late or early 80s as best as I can tell. It predated then adding a rail to the forend. I go it in 1986 (I was 17), it was the factory package with serialised mounts and Kahles ZF69. As you can see it has had a few changes since then ! The weak point on these was always the magazines so when Styria Arms (Austria) offered the AI magazine conversion I grabbed it ! Using the same load I run in my hunting .308 (165gn Nosler Ballistic Tips over AR2208) it will still put each shot into one ragged hole at 100m each time. Not sure of how it wil go at longer ranges with that combo (as I only just put it all back together last year when I got the bottom metal fitted up and the new optics on) as I have just not had the time.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  12. ny700

ny700 Member

83AA92F4-BE7C-49F6-8A3A-9EE205CD2879.jpeg Got the tikka Tac A1 to the range today for its first outing. Had a solid day with some tough swirling wind. Consistent to 800 yards. Shot about 50% on 1 moa and 2 moa targets at 900 and about 25% at 1K. The elevation was on but the wind made me its b!tch at 1K

This stick is showing real promise.
    Three rounds needed to zero
    These were the next 10 shots at 100yards

Datilite, ManOfSteel, Bcamos and 3 others like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

This was last year when I was playing with different rounds.

[​IMG]

...only three round groups (no cleaning) bottom right is Winchester factory 175 "Match" loads and the higher left hole is three of the 165BTs I use in my Sako. I was happy enough with that to stick with that load in this for a bit (makes it easier as I have a bunch of components here on hand to duplicate it). Incidentally the AR2208 powder in these loads dates to 1987 !!

Federal GMM was a total waste of time (about 1.5 - 2 inch groups).

Datilite, ManOfSteel, Bcamos and 2 others like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

LOL...just realised I posted the pics of those groups on page 2 of this thread... ;)

Bcamos and Zeek like this.
  15. ny700

ny700 Member

Hard to argue with those results.
    The FGMM failure is surprising as it’s generally such a reliable standby. But goes to show you have to be willing to test a rifle with multiple loads before righting it off

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Well....just finished a little project on this that I have "been meaning to do" for ages. A little ago a local (not so local to me but here in Aus) had MagPul AI compatible 7.62 10 round magazines on sale for around $65 (they are $79 normally) so I grabbed one to see if it would work in this as the Styria made bottom metal is quite precise and I previously found that the Ruger GSR magazines, while a copy of the AI and supposedly interchangeable, didn't work. I was a bit disappointed when this arrived and it would not feed at all.

Everything was right except the lips were holding the case a little lower in the magazine than I saw with factory AI versions and as such the bolt was unable to make contact with the bottom of the rim to strip the round from the magazine and feed. So I threw it in the back of the safe (returning it would have cost me $15 or something stupid in postage and "restocking fees" (this dealier is a prick but does have gear no one else does) to think about or sell etc.

Laying in bed one night months ago I had a bright idea (other than the one involving Pippa Middleon and a can of whipped cream) that I finally got around to acting on today. I measured the spread of the lips on the AI magazine and that of the MagPul version and also the height the case sat when loaded (the later using the amount of primer exposed). The AI feed lips are far shorter than than MagPul versions and sat around 1mm further apart +/- along the length.

So I set to with a sharp file, calipers and some wet and dry. I took the AI lips out just less than 1mm (.5mm off each side +/-) and also added some taper out at the front (effectively shortening the length of the lips in contact with the case. File a little, test fit and file a little more. About 15mins work start to finish, and now they are feeding 100% :D :D

Post Christmas I will order a couple more. AI Magazines are great but when I CAN find them here they round out around $150Aussie vs $80 for the MagPul (Paying full price). MDT also make a reasonably priced 10 round compatible magazine but for now I will stick with the MagPul.

17. Andy the Aussie

AI on the left MagPul on the right...
    [​IMG]

Bcamos, Strigidae, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  18. Strigidae

Well done!!!!

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

The Internet has spoken, I need 2, 308's

upload_2019-3-15_9-37-31.png

ManOfSteel, IW17, STPNWLF and 3 others like this.
  20. Strigidae

Only two? That seems strict.

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Bcamos like this.