More CC Fraud on eBay?????

Discussion in 'Counterfeits and Fakes' started by Jtallen83, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised the way Mike and Jeff talk about Ebay.

3. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

4. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

These appear to be straight up scammers. I doubt there's a counterfeit product there. At best they'll mail you an empty box.

5. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

These knives are going out from SMKW, with invoices showing the price at SMKW, pretty certain it is CC fraud on SMKW.

Garrett83 likes this.
  6. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

That's a bummer. We have incidents like that sometimes, but usually they're easy to detect because the buyer tries a stack of credit cards before one goes through.

Garrett83 likes this.
  7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I sent this link to Tyler at SMKW

Garrett83 likes this.
  8. Jeff Randall

What's happening here is straight-up credit card fraud. A scammer buys a knife from a legitimate dealer with a stolen credit card number, then has the dealer drop ship it to his customer. Then the dealer does not get paid because it was bought with a stolen credit card. Usually the person the card was stolen from doesn't catch it until their statement comes in, so the knife is already long gone and in the possession of a legitimate buyer. The only cure for this is to adjust your credit card filters, but when you do that use lose a lot of business by not drop shipping. Funny thing is these fly-by-night eBay sellers are most likely jacking the credit card of the guy that buys the stolen knife (depending on how the transaction is paid), so the even though the guy gets his knife he bought for cheap on eBay, the eBay sellers that sold it to him jacks another credit card and and continues the process.

Everyone would do themselves a favor to NEVER, EVER but a damn thing off of eBay. I know Andy sells on there and is an honorable seller, but he's playing in a den of thieves when it comes to eBay. We will not approve dealer accounts who only sell on eBay. Ebay use to be a good thing but they no longer police anything anymore it seems.

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i use prepaid visa credit cards from canada post. only load small amounts and change the cards often, for online shopping.

reputable sites (UKMCPRO, JAYJAYBRECONSUK, 5COL, SORD, WARLORD INDUSTRIES, DS TACTICAL) I use my main credit card.

10. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I've bought quite a few things on ebay and haven't had an issue until this fake g-shock watch came in. I know there are scammers on there but I don't just look at their ranking, I read their feedback comments as well. You can have 100% rating but it can be from only buying not selling. I also look at the names of the reviewers to see if there are multiple ones, which would seem fishy. One of the sellers listed in the OP is eCop, and I've done a lot of business with him both on ebay and Amazon and he is legit. The others I don't know. I use a prepaid card as well and only have enough for the purchase, plus I go through PayPal as well. If they state they don't use PayPal then i don't buy from them. It's sad these people do this crap and make it harder for those of us who do want to sell on there, albeit I don't sell a lot on there.

Garrett83 and Joshua Fields like this.
  11. Jeff Randall

Well, someone selling PR4's and JG5's for less than 60 bucks and actually delivering them is probably gonna have good reviews but he's still nothing but a thief.

Garrett83 and C99c like this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I understand that and agree, I wasn't saying otherwise. However there are legitimate people on there as well trying to make a living or to make some extra cash.

13. Jeff Randall

My problem is not so much with the seller but with eBay not policing bad sellers. Again, the policy we state to anyone is never, ever buy ESEE off of eBay.

14. Joshua Fields

Joshua Fields Member

Jeff you make a good point. I use to report sellers and knives that were knock offs or fake, I have yet after 2 years of reporting fake knock offs to see Ebay pull a fake knife. Part of the problem is is that 90% of the public is not educated on knife identification.

Garrett83 likes this.
  15. Joshua Fields

Joshua Fields Member

Ecop is good.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  16. Disk4mat

Disk4mat Member

I'll confirm that the ones sold on ebay for cheap are the result of stolen credit cards used to purchase and drop ship to the ebay consumer. Without knowing anything about the JG5, Ive seen them on ebay for $110+... Didnt know the history of the knife or SMKW.

Then one popped up for $76. So I bought it. Seller was in Oregon. I received a knife directly from SMKW with billing information for someone in Hawaii.

First thing I did was message the seller saying "I wanted a refund. I know what you did." He replied that all orders are purchased from the lowest distributor and guaranteed new. Apparently a copy and paste reply. I sent back another message saying dude you stole some womans credit card.

No more replies. Just a refund.

I called SMKW and explained to them how I acquired the knife. The woman I spoke with said they are aware of this scam and advised me to get a refund on ebay. I told her I did. I asked what do I do with the knife? She told me to keep it. I dont think she understood what I was explaining. Kept telling me the person whose card got stolen will get the money back from their bank. So dont worry about the knife.

So Im sitting there with a refund from paypal and a knife. Im not an AH. I shipped the knife back at my own expense because whats right is right. So it cost me $11 s/h to learn a lesson. Since all this unfolded the seller (raymorwal0) on ebay has sold 3 more knives. He upped the price to $79.

So if you buy a knife like this on ebay, essentially you are stealing from SMKW. The seller will use a stolen CC. The person will report the card lost/stolen, SMKW will get a charge back + be out of the merchandise and you? You will have a stolen knife you got for a discounted price. Complete with an invoice showing you have the victims billing information. Great deal right?

17. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Similar results here, I think they understand but possibly have some sort of fraud protection through the credit card services they use to process orders. If they have been covered by a protection plan then they don't want the knife back. I'm surprised that seller has not been shut down yet, even though that doesn't do much good since they just open another account.

Garrett83 and Disk4mat like this.
  18. Disk4mat

Disk4mat Member

I was surprised to see the seller still there and moving additional units. Although with a feedback score of 24 its probably as you said. A disposable account. Open a new one when this one gets shut down.

19. Joshua Fields

Joshua Fields Member

Holy crap. That definitely inspired me to close my ebay account period. I have never heard of this before and I am surprised and disheartened to hear this is going on. Looks like Ebay would get a grip on this type of stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

Garrett83 and Disk4mat like this.
  20. Jeff Randall

eBay sucks. Plain and simple. They pretty much refuse to do anything about fraud and counterfeits.