Water bottle

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Flex, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

The Zojirushi is now my #1 bottle

Just sayin...

2. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

IMG_20181028_195144894.jpg I always have a Nalgene 1L bottle on me. I have 4 with the Humangear wide mouth/small mouth adapters (I think it's called a "capCAP"). I've carried these for years or the 1 quart Nalgene Oasis (USGI pattern) canteens. I lost a blue Oasis at the Farm this year during class. Patrick loaned me a stainless canteen, which I liked a lot. Though it would be a bit heavy for daily carry IMHO.

3. jeeter

jeeter Member

I'm a huge fan of the wide mouth Nalgene 32 oz bottles. Tough, and I like the measurements on the side, since Steripens work for 1/2 or 1 Liter increments. Even around the kitchen they come in handy; much easier to measure 4 (or more) cups of liquid in one of those than a standard measuring cup.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  4. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

I use Platypus bladders for many years.
    2l size, one like this
    [​IMG]
    And one for easy drinks on the go like this in 2l and 1 l size

[​IMG]

They're awesome. Get one with a wide opening if you get one, easier to clean and dry after use. (I was too cheap to do so and now regret that)

Sometimes a plain ans simple mtb/racebike bidon
    Like these

[​IMG]

I've tried alu bottles like a sig in the past but got them dented when dropping my pack to hard on the ground. I hate dented things :p so platics from then on.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. jeeter

jeeter Member

How hard is it to get the inside of the platypus to dry, and have you had mold issues? Just curious, as that's why I quit using the Camelbak water bladders; I could get the bladder to air dry, but the drinking tube would always get moldy, no matter what I did.

The Marsh Gorilla, Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  6. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

No mold issu
    No mold issues here. Does take forever to dry. The mouth piece where you screw on the cap gets smelly sometimes from drinking straight out of the bottle (and not washing it thoroughly with soap after use). I store mine without the caps screwed on.

7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I have been using a Guyot Backpacker for a few years. I love how it nests perfectly with my Glacier Cup and Stanley Pot. 20180718_180251.jpg

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....did you use the mild bleach cleaning tabs and pull through brush they market (mine are an off brand but close to identical). I have used them for years and never had a mould issue after I started doing so. I did in the tube before though.

9. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

I started out using Nalgene. Then I discovered Kleen. Nowadays I take a stainless Kleen bottle or my Heavy Cover titanium canteen.

I still use my Camelbacks for mountain biking.

10. brbrielle

brbrielle Member

I use a hydro flask for retains ice. I have been using it for about two years, and of all the thermos I have used so far, it has the best insulation effect, especially in summer. Wide mouth bottles are my favorite style. I've also heard that Nalgene can drop internal coatings and make the water smell metallic when used for a period of time. Have you encountered this situation?

11. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I commandeered my wife’s Hydro Flask for using at the gym since it holds ice a long time and I just refill with bottled waters so I don’t have to leave the equipment I’m using. For the woods and walk-in swamp sites at work I’ve been using knock off camelbaks and they’ve worked well for me, especially preloaded with ice cubes. I recently received a camelbak original as a 5 year service award from work and look fwd to seeing how it compares.

mwramos76, Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  12. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Me and the wife have a Yeti problem.

This is only about a 3rd of it.

[​IMG]

13. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I've got a Kleen Kanteen that I really like. Back in college I did a spring break trip down to Alabama to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and they gave these out to all of the volunteers.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  14. IW17

IW17 Member

:eek:

Flex and The Marsh Gorilla like this.