Hiking, camping and adventuring with martin_j001....

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by martin_j001, Jul 12, 2018.

1. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

I like the idea of this section. :) Hoping to get back to some camping this fall as our daughter is now over 2 and a lot easier to deal with outdoors, but she ain't small, so the hiking is a good workout (she's about 36lbs currently, so between the pack, water, and her I'm carrying right around 45lbs currently).

Went to check out the Laurel Ridge Trail alongside Lake Lanier this past weekend. Ended up with a good hike of just shy of 5 miles (we went past the actual "trail" at some point). Good weather for it, had a nice breeze while hiking along the lake. The munchkin took a good 45 minute or so nap, but enjoyed looking at and naming things as we hiked. Always so cute to hear her voice getting more quiet and calm as we go, until all the sudden I'm not hearing her anymore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Independence Day, we went to one of our local county parks, Harbins Park. They've got mountain bike, horse and hiking trails. Short walk along a paved path gets you to a short section of horse trail before we hit the hiking trail, and we covered just shy of 4 miles total. My daughter got to see 3 big horses (and their riders) go by as we stood beside the trail, so she liked that. We got POURED on right at the end, which was fine by us all, as it was quite hot.
    [​IMG]

The previous weekend, we had planned to head further north and check out a short (1 mile each way) trail to a waterfall. But, as we realized it was going to take us closer to 2 hours (with the munchkin-required breakfast stop), we decided to stay closer. Ended up at Sawnee Mountain Reserve, which we hadn't heard of before. Short hike of only about 2 miles, as we let the munchkin do some on her own two feet for the first time. I think we'll be back to this location though, as they have a couple different loops that appeared worth checking out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Those babies are beautiful sir!

mtngoat, BlueDogScout and martin_j001 like this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Somebody invent the super like button. That's the way it's done Sir. :)

4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome post!

martin_j001 likes this.
  5. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Looks like a great time out with the fam, thanks for posting.

martin_j001 likes this.
  6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Well, I had a few appointments yesterday, so cancelled my workday :) , and managed to sneak in a hike by myself. Hit up the Laurel Ridge Trail out of Buford Dam park on Lake Lanier once again. It was close to where I needed to be for my afternoon appointment, and the time was about right to get in 4 miles. Carried my Mystery Ranch Street Fighter with some snacks, 3L hydration bladder, and my new Esee 3HM. I like this bag, but think it might be better for EDC use than actual hiking. I like its size, and that it has a removable waist-strap (I don't need one when not carrying a good bit of weight), but dislike it's lack of being able to be compressed down over a smaller load...the Tarahumara continues to call my name...

The ride, which had the appointments yesterday (new wheels/tires, and hitch installed).
    [​IMG]

Sasquatch sighting...seen huffing and puffing around Lake Lanier, and posing for selfies!
    [​IMG]

Fog over the river on the back side of the dam. The temp dropped at least 10 degrees or so back here.
    [​IMG]

Rousted up a couple of whitetails from relaxing around the cooler temps too.
    [​IMG]

The back side of the dam. And yes, from here, you walk out to the top over the next half mile of trail or so. Kind of a demoralizing way to finish the trail...but at least this time I didn't have 45lbs of pack and hungry daughter on my back. :)
    [​IMG]

Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half at all.

7. Strigidae

Even just a few minutes always seems worth it to me. Woods time.

Love the car. Looks extremely capable!

martin_j001 likes this.
  8. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Very nice!

martin_j001 likes this.
  9. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Very nice! Gotta start the kids early!

martin_j001 likes this.
  10. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

So yesterday, I began my 40th trip around the sun. Took the day off work with my wife, dropped the munchkin off at daycare, and headed north into the mountains to find some lesser traveled roads, and check out part of the Georgia Traverse. It rained much of the day, but not too hard, at least when we were exploring.

Stopped at the top of Blood Mountain at the hiking store for a bathroom break. Pretty foggy/misty up here.
    [​IMG]

Turned off a popular mountain road and it turned into dirt eventually. Wound up finding Helton Creek Falls.
    [​IMG]

Eventually came to a river/creek crossing, which I determined to be a touch too deep to try considering this was my first outing, and I had no recovery gear or friends with me. Probably could have made it, but didn't want to chance it.
    [​IMG]

Turned back around, and drove some nice, relatively traffic free mountain roads to the other side of the same road/trail to check this out.
    [​IMG]

Came across a shallower creek...easy peasy.

Had an enjoyable time exploring with my better half, in spite of the rain. We even found a campsite along this road that we may come back to check out at some point in time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  11. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Are those the Geolander tires on there?

12. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Nope, Continental Terrain Contacts. Similar to the Geolanders...less aggressive than the K02's, but better on the roads in general (less noise), based on what I've heard from others who have used both.

13. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Went up to Clayton, GA over this past weekend, with the intention of checking out some of the Georgia Traverse. Started with a quick stop for a different view of Tallulah Gorge than we've seen before. The munchkin had a blast in the hotel pool, and enjoyed her visit to the Wander North Georgia store for ice cream after dinner. The next morning, we set off for some trail time, and headed west on the Georgia Traverse route. We quickly encountered a road closed sign on Patterson Creek Road, so we turned around and followed the Traverse east instead. Nice drive. The roads were easy, just gravel, but it was quiet, relatively traffic free (areas around fishing spots or campgrounds were busier, but still little traffic to speak of). Ended up in SC, stopped at Oconee State Park for a lunch picnic, and headed home on back roads....nice to drive through small towns and empty backroads versus packed highways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed that trip up with another hike out at Laurel Ridge Trail, on Lake Lanier on Monday. We went counter-clockwise around the loop. It seemed quite a bit harder this time around, but it's probably just me being fat and out of shape, lol. Or the fact that I'm carrying close to 50lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Strigidae

Looks like a great trip! Thanks so much for talking us along!

martin_j001 likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

amazing area and pics!

is that an pull out awning on your rig?

martin_j001 likes this.
  16. Paul Dengel

Paul Dengel Member

Awesome pics mate and a lovely family you have ,making memories ,all my daughter's love camping and long walks with our dog, my youngest who is 11 now loves whittling with one if her 3 knives .

martin_j001 likes this.
  17. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

It was indeed! As the weather cools down some more, we're looking forward to more outings too!

It is indeed, an ARB2000. Figured it'll be really nice to have for additional shade or coverage from the rain when we camp, and also assist in setting up and tearing down camp too... We've used it around the house already just for shade out in the driveway, so it's already come in handy.

[​IMG]

Thanks! I'm hoping my daughter will continue to enjoy the outdoors as she gets older for sure!

BigJake and Strigidae like this.
  18. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Went back up to the Clayton, GA area to go camping at Black Rock Mountain State Park this past weekend. Weather was just about perfect, maybe a few degrees too warm at times, but really good all around. Just breezy enough to keep the bugs at bay for the most part too.

A very full car...
    [​IMG]

Even the roof basket got put to use. The bins worked out great, and allowed me to put 3 up there even with the spare tire mounted too.
    [​IMG]

Big ass tent. One of the ideas in getting it was that Kate would have her own space/bed to sleep in. She wanted nothing to do with it. Night one, she fell asleep (several hours later than usual) in the corner of the tent, after crying for a minute or two, but at some point woke up and gathered random items to bring into our bed with us...the little stinker. Night two we just got her to sleep in our bed and came back out to enjoy the fire for a little bit before bed.
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking a dedicated kitchen setup table thing might be in my future, maybe. Most parks around us they recommend you put things way to avoid animals, so breaking down a kitchen setup would be annoying anyway. The new stove worked great...our old one is half grill and one burner. As we use the burners for more things, it makes sense to have two (as you can see...coffee and eggs cooking at the same time).
    [​IMG]

Kate relaxing.
    [​IMG]

Evening lighting.
    [​IMG]

Two years apart...
    [​IMG]
    Family photo...[​IMG]

Even managed to find time to enjoy a cigar (My Father Connecticut, for those wondering).
    [​IMG]
    Hiking to a waterfall along the James Edmunds trail. About a two mile round trip on some decently technical trail. Sandals were not the ideal shoes for this, and especially not once wet on the return trip. But we made it, and it was worth it.
    [​IMG]
    Go in the water, Dada!
    [​IMG]
    She spent most of the trip up there.
    [​IMG]
    One of the many ice cream breaks she got over the weekend. This kid loves her ice cream.
    [​IMG]
    Several people commented on the car over the weekend. It's dirtier now, as we hit some trails (Sarah's Creek Road and Walnut Fork Rd, for those that know the area) to make sure Kate got in a good nap. She's great about napping in the car, even over the bumpy stuff. :)
    [​IMG]

19. Strigidae

Nice trip report!!! Great cigar choice!

martin_j001 likes this.
  20. Theo

Theo Member

Looks like a great trip, we camped at Black Rock a few years ago the walk in sites were great.

martin_j001 likes this.