Light & Fast - Scout LB kit, Gen 1 thru 26

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

More gear = More Options :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D

Lighter Gear = more BEER

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Klynesquatch, STPNWLF and Kaw-liga like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I honestly don't think there is a line to draw. If you're happy carrying the weight, and you enjoy using what you're carrying, I see absolutely no reason not to.

And brother, you go deep into the bush, and you have a crap ton of experience. You know what you need/want to carry, and you certainly don't need to justify what you carry in any way.

Nobody does.

My only point when it comes to gear, is that you should gain experience using everything you carry. You'll find things you dislike and want to change, or find things lacking that you want to add, etc.

Knowing the inside and out of every item you carry, knowing how it performs for you personally in the field, is more important than the actual items.

Experience and knowledge are the most important things you can carry.

Bushman5, STPNWLF and Kaw-liga like this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I carried a hunters tree stand harness , with a custom mods and pouches, for several years. Total weight was 8-12 lbs depending on season. The only reason it's retired is kayaking (or any travel by water). Any "rig" makes it hard to either, sit in the yak, or wear a pfd. ( a must do IMHO). As far a movement, no problem, carry all day, go prone, even sleep with it on.

Kaw-liga, STPNWLF and Bushman5 like this.
  4. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Would a 18 0unce Kleen Kanteen for in the radio pocket where you have your bear canister? This one. https://www.kleankanteen.com/collec.../classic-water-bottle-18oz?variant=1604598851

Kaw-liga and Bushman5 like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Gimmie minute.....almost back from coffee shop.

koolaidnd likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yes it fits, but not with the Esee tin..........the KK is just slightly wider than the 325 gram magnum can of bearspray

20180512_073912.jpg 20180512_073924.jpg

7. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Thanks. I was hoping the bottle would work with the Esee tin.

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Got my 360 gram Raven Systems load bearing webbing from the UK this morning. It weighs almost nothing.

20180512_102443.jpg

the yoke

20180512_102528.jpg

the super thin material

20180512_102538.jpg

laser cut (must be different kinds of fabric cutting lasers - i have other laser cut webbing that looks like its been cut with a razor)

20180512_102548.jpg

webbing belt

20180512_102609.jpg

360 grams total weight, it almost floats away its so light.

initial observations - I love it. Light - insanely light, more PALS slot real estate , 6 point harness instead of 4. Unbelievably comfortable, almost like wearing a cummerbund

CONS:

this is my only beef ......(and is actually my own damn fault for not asking the sales rep ) there is an odd number of vertical PALS rows (19)........in any other LB rig setup this would not be an issue.....but since the CORE component of my L.R.R.P.R. set up is the large butt pack, having an odd number of vertical PALS slots means I cannot center the butt pack (with its 8 slots) on the rear of the webbing.

so for now this will go into the gear locker until i can afford to get a pouch for the rear of the webbing that has an ODD number of PALS slots (3, 5, 7, 9 etc) . I'll turn this rig into a sub 8 lb fly weight set up.

i'd return it but the postage back to the UK would be over $50...not worth it.

so, the more things change, the more they stay the same....lol.....sticking with my current webbing with 20 vertical PALS slots

this process of gear selection and long term testing has been interesting and fun and expensive....(LOL) . I'm so close to the point where I can submit a design to someone who sews these materials, and shed even more weight off my building a system that has sewn on pouches instead of Molle pouches. (this equals a reduction in the number of fabric panels, which equals a massive reduction in weight) Coupled with modern ultrathin tough mil-spec composite fabric equals even further weight reductions. The sheer weight savings i have calculated for a full on load bearing rig set up for hiking/bushcrafting/ etc, the entire unit would weigh less than 1/2 lb.

in a sil-nylon material the entire rig would be 2 oz. At the expense of long term durability though......not a desirable trait for a bush wacking rig.......but still interesting to think about...

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

And I think that's the thing to remember. It's about enjoyment. Unless you're outdoors as part of your job, there's no reason you have to be low drag and completely squared away. Understanding what the minimum is you need doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to it. It's a just a point of reference.

"Oh no, I packed too many knives. I might accidentally have too much fun."

Packrat, JV3, Kaw-liga and 3 others like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Well now there is a limit.....i once packed 35 or so choppers and hawks into a swiss surplus military pack. Could barely scramble up the hill...lol....

Packrat and Kaw-liga like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

FYI it will fit TWO large rectangular pipe tobacco tins (approx 3" x 5" x 1") and there will still be some space left over

Kaw-liga and koolaidnd like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

L.R.R.P.R. GEN 3 (Long Range Recreational Pacing Rig)

finally got around to getting some photos in good light......

Its taken me a long time , a lot of trail time and bushwacking and trial and error with various vendors of load bearing gear and pouches , and a lot of money , to get to this stage.

I am not military, I am a hardcore hiker/bushwacker / hobbyist animal tracker / 4x4 wheeler / angler / target shooter / hunter / survival / nature loving / total gearhead type guy. I demand extremely well made & designed gear.....and for years I simply have not found any that has worked for me. Over $200,000 CDN in gear in the last 25 years alone.......all had their merits, all had pros and cons , none eventually ended up meeting my needs or demand for a highly organized, comfortable, durable system to carry basic gear, shelter, clothing, food, survival gear etc into the rough, very challenging and steep terrain of BC Canada.

L.R.R.P.R GEN 3 evolved over a long time.......after i switched from heavy after market load bearing backpacks to a recon patrol style webbing. The backpacks were too top heavy and in our brutal terrain here, that can mean snagging on fallen logs, rocks, underbrush, and it makes the user too unstable weigh wise (top heavy). This can mean the user can fall very easily, or become unbalanced and twist, or worse, snap an ankle or leg bone in the heavy tree roots and rocky loose soil terrain here.

Military recon patrol webbing keeps the weight LOW on the body frame, and allows the users back to vent heat and sweat quickly, compared to a backpack.

The military MOLLE system allows me to add or subtract pouches to the main webbing system as i need to. It is a brilliant idea (its like LEGO). It has allowed me to try out pouches, then remove them if they don't fit my needs, without having to buy a entire new belt/pouch system.

This kit i have built up will continue to evolve. I am researching the newer , thinner, lighter, tougher laminated fabrics, seeking out vendors that use such fabrics in their products, as well as looking into learning how to sew, layout and fabricate and sonic weld these bleeding edge ultralight/ultratough modern fabrics......there may a time down the road when I take this current rig even farther down the bleeding edge gear razor and shed weight by making a sewn/sonic welded rig.

lets get to it.

The L.R.R.P.R. Gen 3 consists of a MVP long webbing yoke and Patrol Order Belt Pad from SORD AUS. Attached to the molle belt is 8 molle pouches from EBERLESTOCK , DIRECT ACTION GEAR, TYR TACTICAL, TACTICAL TAILOR, FIRST SPEAR, & FHF GEAR.

Gear in and on the L.R.R.P.R. Gen 3 rig is from THE HIDDEN WOODSMEN (flat small pouches), FENIX (CL09 multimode lantern/signal light), SUREFIRE (the ONLY lithium CR123's I buy), THYRM (CellVault XL OD/ORANGE) , MKettle SAS (Survival stove/water boiler) , SYKCO (CHOPHOUSE LEAN CUT short machete) , MASHED CAT SHEATHS (for the SYKCO blade) , EXOTAC (TITAN-Light, XL Matchcase) , OLIGHT (HR2 NOVA Headlamp), CEJAY ENGINEERING (SERE GLO STICKS), 5COL (Ranger Bands, Whirlpak water bags, bankline, kevlar thread) , BlackWillowOutdoors (Sil-nylon multicam Basha tarp), Israeli First Aid (ALL my FAK and trauma supplies) & many others (i'll list them eventually)

DETAILED LAYOUT.jpg

SORD AUS MVP LONG WEBBING YOKE and PATROL ORDER MOLLE WEB BELT (under the pouches). Both are thinly padded and the entire yoke and tall webbing belt conforms to the body VERY WELL and does not bounce or move around or shift. The webbing belt is also "stepped" as it goes around the waist towards the front of the body. This prevents the thighs from contacting the webbing belt during strenuous climbing, running, bushwhacking etc.

The MVP YOKE has an EIGHT POINT (8) webbing suspension setup......even heavy loads do not shift or bounce. Load Distribution is completely balanced on the entire body
    20180826_160438.jpg

Lets start on the right hip side......first pouch is an EBERLESTOCK Micro Dry Bag. Fastens with two small quick release clips and I have 6 (actually 5...used one) bear banger charges plus a spare pen launcher. This pouch takes two molle columns on the belt
    20180826_160514.jpg

next is three (3) DIRECT ACTION GEAR Hydro Utility Pouches. The first two hold two (2) NALGENE TRITAN CANTEENS, one also holds a stainless USGI CUP. The last one holds a MKettle SAS boiler and tea kit. I use the SAS MKettle to boil up water for a brew or soups or washing or purification for drinking. Each of these three pouches take two (2) molle columns each (6 total)

20180826_160501.jpg

20180826_160536.jpg 20180826_160603.jpg

the SAS MKettle boiler

20180826_160636.jpg

tea kit (strong British tea) rolled up in a heavy duty freezer bag and slipped into the chimney.

20180826_160652.jpg

Emergency fuel tabs sealed in plastic and wrapped in foil, stored in the inverted burner

20180826_160657.jpg

moving to the front of the L.R.R.P.R. webbing, we have a bit of gear on the Right shoulder strap molle grid. HB pencil, Rite In The Rain pen, Fox 40 Micro whistle, and 5COL EPDM Ranger Bands to hold them.
    20180826_160828.jpg

on the Left shoulder strap molle grid, i have lashed a Mashed Cat kydex sheath with a ScrapYard Knife Co ChopHouse short machete/chopper. Onto that lashing I have added the FHF GEAR BEAR SPRAY HOLSTER.
    20180826_160833.jpg

moving to the arse end of the load bearing webbing, I have a TYR TACTICAL Jungle Butt Pack. For such a Kardashian (FAT, huge) butt pack, it is INSANELY light, as TYR TACTICAL uses a cutting edge fabric that is extremely tough against abrasion, and is 40% lighter than regular Cordura.

the butt pack has a roll top enclosure, and a molle grid on the back of it.
    20180826_161708.jpg

I made a few shock cord straps to hold my Silky BigBoy XL saw
    20180826_161715.jpg

opening the butt pack I have my half poncho (see DIY thread)
    20180826_161726.jpg

next I have a Willow multicam Basha tarp (with cordage attached) in the right pocket. An OD Thyrm XL Vault with 6 CR123 li-ion primaries, a bottle of methyl hydrate stove fuel, 2 pouches of gel fuel and a cordage kit, including kevlar cord in the LEFT pocket. Main compartment: A meal pack (various - depends on my mood) , and in the bottom there is an Arcteryx WRAITH wind shirt/jacket, a pair of wool socks, gloves, and a micro fleece beanie

20180826_161811.jpg

in the rear zippered pouch (inside the TYR Tactical Jungle Butt Pack, against the rear of the SORD webbing belt, is a Hidden Woodsmen pouch, with emergency energy food, water tabs, glucose, re-hydration salt/sugar tabs. This is food I never touch ( i eventually eat it and put fresh stuff in) , its basically Last Ditch , if i absolutely need it.....emergency food. I carry the day or multi-day regular food in the main compartment. There is also a latrine kit....super soft TP and wet wipes and alcohol wipes

20180826_161846.jpg 20180826_162146.jpg 20180826_162059.jpg

All the contents from the TYR TACTICAL Jungle Butt Pack, including a jar of MARMITE! Still room to spare for more food (multi day hike) or my SnugPak Jungle Sleeping bag or Woobie.

20180826_161937.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

moving over to the left hip pouches

First Spear SSE dump pouch on the left, then an Eberlestock utility pouch, then the Tactical Tailor Medical Pouch.
    20180826_160848.jpg

the very compact First Spear Sensitive Site Exploitation pouch. I use it for stuffing a jacket shell into, or hat and gloves, or line it with a plastic bag for tinder or berry picking. (it excels at food gathering)
    20180826_160857.jpg
    next we have the Eberlestock Utility pouch. This i use for the things most often used on a hike.

20180826_161512.jpg

contents: Hidden Woodsmen utility pouch, bankline lanyard'ed EXOTAC TitanLight, compass / RITR book, and the Olight HR2 headlamp
    20180826_161253.jpg

pouch contents: 2 fresnel lens, roll of thin bankline, Burts Bees lipbalm/footbalm/fire accelarent (oh it burns well on a cotton ball) , tea candle, FENIX micro lantern (7 mode - 4 levels WHITE, solid RED, blinking RED, solid GREEN) , 2 x CEJAY ENGINEERING led glo sticks (1 RED/ 1 WHITE), all three lights with lanyards for swinging overhead for signalling), mesh pouch with 2 signal panels (pink/orange) a signal mirror and micro roll of orange flagging tape) platic bag with EF-CHLOR chlorine tabs, plastic bag with silicone rubber vault with coin cell batteries for CEJAY lights) and last the orange THYRM XL VAULT with an EXOTAC FIRESTEEL and PJCB tinders, as well as an EXOTAC large matchcase with STORM MATCHES

20180826_161334.jpg

next we have the Tactical Tailor Med Pouch. Its HUGE. two internal mesh slots .

20180826_160917.jpg

contents: basic wilderness FAK pouch with a ton of FAK stuff, plus DEX4 tabs, Benadryl tabs, anti diarrhea tabs, Aspirin (both childs and adult doses), Tylenol 500's , and a few mega dose Benzaprine pills to really blot out the pain..., Tensor Wrap, foot powder, 12H glo stick to mark patient location if i need to move away from area . Other stuff is GSW/SLASH/animal gash kit: duct tape, Airway, 2 decomp needles, 3 Israel IDF vac sealed trauma bandages, and one TQ.

20180826_161010.jpg

So thats about it kit wise. It weighs an AVERAGE, depending on how much food i fee like inhaling that day, around 21 - 25 lbs. Add 1lb if its pissing rain out.

I aim to get that weight down further....i know there is a lot of gear i could cut.....BUT..........as i hike/bushwack solo in very brutal terrain......I feel the few backups and extras are worth it. As well......there is an INSANE AMOUNT of ill prepared hikers in BC........I and others find ourselves OFTEN treating people or helping them......

its a kick arse rig.....i'm really happy with the SORD WEBBING (yoke and belt pad) setup. VERY well made, not a stitch or frayed thread anywhere. Every Molle column/row is precise in size and spacing.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Intricater, JMick, Packrat and 4 others like this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

PURE AWESOME!

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

Extremely nice setup!

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rest of pics are up!

17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Great set up. Having thin lay flat harness parts is something I've worked at and wanted for years. I got mine down to 18 lbs but I might have been shy a few things, no bear bangers, smaller pepper gas, and no stove. I need to revisit the concept.

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I had the Raven Systems non padded webbing yoke and harness a few months back. It was 1mm thick. Weighed NOTHING.....

....BUT........i could feel every Malice Clip and pouch seam on my back.

the SORD Australia webbing (Patrol Order/MVP) is about 4mm thick, both the fabric and the dense closed cell nitrogen blown foam padding. I am simply floored by the comfort level of it......I have even worn it with no shirt and i did not notice any uncomfortable spots.

check SORD out man......your US$ is strong to the AUS $ (the CDN $ is Par with the AUS $).

its a hell of a kit. I loaded up heavy for the Sunday Lunch and photo shoot.......and I hiked fast.

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Intricater and Mike Smith like this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Member

This thread gives me lots of ideas....

Intricater and Bushman5 like this.