Augusts Challenge

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Augusts challenge will be a little different. We will be looking for sharpness. Show your sharpening system and some edges. If you can cut a mosquito out of the air thats extra points.

Not Sure, mwramos76, Andris94 and 6 others like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

This is the kit I use most all the time, I have different strops around the house but when sharpening this is the kit I go for.
    FAEA3D62-B8D9-42C6-92E1-3A46EC113887.jpeg A62DF264-06B8-48B5-BB3C-EBDEB8A8F17F.jpeg 2E027535-13D7-42AC-8B84-CBD21D239F2D.jpeg 18C57622-44AA-44E7-8A51-34A6863CBB02.jpeg F654CDE1-5A4A-4E1B-96B8-E379665F14EC.jpeg 27DC797A-AC6B-4479-A807-B082C584A28B.jpeg

Here are a few shots of paper curls, no mosquitos were around the slice out of the air.

E0740A6A-9A94-41B3-9508-959D629DBBEB.jpeg CAC80196-B599-4F11-9339-59D9EE826E22.jpeg

3. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've got so much material for this... Am I allowed to make multiple entries on this one? I've got a few images ready to go, but I know I've got a bunch more hidden away somewhere...

Anyway, let me start this off with my old Winkler Field Knife, currently in transit back to it's original owner @Grey Falcon.

I sharpen free hand, and I've been practicing virtually nonstop for 8 years.

I use DMT Dia-Sharp plates (Coarse/Extra coarse, and Fine/Extra Fine), Spyderco ceramic stones (specifically the ultra fine), Japanese water stones (Sun Tiger by King 200 grit green brick, King Deluxe 1200, and the King Deluxe 6000), and various strops.

My favorite compounds at the moment are a rather coarse Enkay black compound which cuts and polishes fairly quickly, finished by Flexcut Gold, which is what I find gives the best final edge out of everything I've tried.

I use leather for my strops, and they're usually strops I've made.

I tend to obsess over my edges a bit.

Before shot of the Winkler.

[​IMG]

Initial extra coarse DMT stock removal.

[​IMG]

King 1200

[​IMG]

King 6000

[​IMG]

Stropping. Here I'm using BRKT black and white. Since moved to other compounds mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Sometime after this, I decided to thin it out even more, but have no pics of the process.

Here's the final result of that.

[​IMG]

That's a hair, laying on the blade there... Having just been feathered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my current EDC (has been for 4+ years now), my Para 2 in S30V, whittling a hair straight off of my Spyderco ultra fine ceramic.

[​IMG]

And here's my old TRC Apocalypse after a full re-profiling, now owned by my Brother @HelRaiser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I've also cut a flying skeeter in half. With an Ontario Bolt Knife. About 2 years back. I'm just cool like that.

But really, I did. Surprised myself so much I took multiple photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KnOeFz, Not Sure, Disk4mat and 6 others like this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I predict many hairless arms and smooth shapely legs in this thread. :D !!!

5. Kevo

Kevo Member

Oh this one I have some stuff to show off!

6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just like most folks I've collected a few ways to put an edge on something. I don't go for mirror polish, if it'll shave hair, slice paper, or fish, whittle, chop thru brush, weeds, ect. That's good enough.
    The Lansky or Smiths pull thru's will put a decent edge on and are pretty much unbreakable and idiot proof. They keep the edge angles the same as most factory settings and add a safety factor when you might be tired, sweaty or doing a touch up in dim mottled light.
    I make a lot of shavings. ;). This is seasoned oak and the 1075 gets a touch up (5 passes thru) on the ceramic about....every 3rd day.

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Here's another thing I use, Aie keep hanging in the shop. A fossil leather belt I saved from a trash pile (free) and the green compound was like $3 at the hobby-craft store. Seen here well into its 3rd year of use, one block of rouge should last for years. A few swipes will bring back the edge on most anything from the pocketknife I carry up to the machetes you guys always see me using.

8. Disk4mat

Disk4mat Member

My sharpening skills are very much a work in progress. Been learning allot from the community here. Pictured is my Esee 4 with Fallkniven Ceramic stone (CC4). You can see the reflection of the white side of the stone on the tip of the knife.

Did my best to get that mosquito wing and ended up whacking the thing with the spine of the knife lol Got 'em in the end. For fun I tried to feather a toothpick.

20180805_183317.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    So I wasn't sure if this should go here, or in the "Mans best freind" thread. A bit of explanation. I have one on those dogs. Yeah, got him an "indestructible" toy, it lasted..a day. Got a guaranteed unkillable dog bed, had to leave him in cause it was raining while we went to get food. Came back to an exploded sheep in the living room. We're on our second couch.
    So I get seasoned hardwood, oak or hickory, and reduce and smooth it for him to chase, I throw and he returns ad infintium. They last about a week. The one on the bottom is current, middle is the next one, and top is what it was cut from. I gets lots, lots and lots, of hands on time with a blade. And when it gets dull I sharpen, it's fun and never gets old, not to me anyway. :)

KnOeFz, Not Sure, Disk4mat and 2 others like this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

Here was last night's little project. I forgot to take any after sharpening shots, which I blame on a couple of old fashioned's.

I'll have to post some more pics of my whole setup and some edges I'm particularly proud of. I absolutely love sharpening! My favorites are always my straight razors. I generally like to use a variety of stones but always seem to fall back to my arks and coticule. For the tougher steels I'll use a diamond plate and/or lapping film on glass.
    20180807_190652.jpg

11. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

The Reason I own ESEE Knives.................

IMG_4662.JPG

12. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

13. Strigidae

Mosquitos everywhere have a hit out on me now. Ha!

Disk4mat likes this.
  14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

True, but your homies are a bunch of knife toting bastedges who will cut the lil vampires right outa the air. ;)

Strigidae likes this.
  15. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh you want me to cut things? :D. Well then, let's call this post "Alpha & Omega"....

Strigidae and Disk4mat like this.
  17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

And everything in between!

18. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I am not good at sharpening.

I just buy a new knife when one gets dull.

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  19. erik

erik Member

love me some flexcut gold as a final strop.

Strigidae likes this.
  20. Strigidae

This is the month for you. Find an old throw away and learn.

mtngoat and Kevo like this.