When money is no object.

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

For example, if you own one of the worlds greatest sticker companies, and you can’t figure out how to spend all those ducats, you buy something like this. A plastic camo ring for $35 plus shipping. Kryptek, baby.

https://groovelife.com/products/kryptek-camo-silicone-ring

If you wear a plastic ring, post your story. If you’ve had your finger ripped off by a metal ring like Jimmy Fallon, post your pics.

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

I knew a girl in high school who had a ring based accident.

She was headed over to a friend's house and decided to take a short cut which required her to hop over a 6' chain link fence. As she went over the top, she slipped, and the ring on her pinky finger caught the top of the fence. Luckily for her, she was pretty small, so instead of losing a finger, she ended up just dangling there by her pinky for several minutes until she was found and helped off the fence.

No major damage aside from having to wear a pinky-out Dr. Evil type brace for a couple of months.

3. Expat

I had a coworker who was big into scuba diving. One day he was next to the boat on the surface just waiting to descend. He had his hand on the ladder. A large wave came and picked the boat up fast than it picked him up. His ring got caught on the ladder and took his finger right off.

4. artigas

artigas Member

I don't own one yet, but I've been thinking about getting one lately. I've worn a tungsten carbide ring our whole marriage. I got it because it's a relatively cheap metal, it doesn't scratch easily, and there was a groupon for it at the time. It isn't flexible, though.

5. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

A buddy of mine is a scaffolder (sure it's called the same in the US) and he jumped off the back of his truck, catching his wedding ring in the siding, tore his finger clean off! Fortunately it was a clean cut and he was round the corner from a really good hospital!

6. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm engaged at the moment and my fiance knows my thoughts on this subject. No rings for me. I don't need jewelry to remember I'm married. That said, if I did buy one, it would be something like this.

7. Expat

What about a tattoo?

8. IW17

IW17 Member

I've actually considered that. My biggest concern is location. I've got tattoos now but they can all be covered up if I want them to be. Being in construction this isn't a concern at the moment. But I'm only 33 so anything could change in the future.

9. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Ha. I never expected this topic to come up. My wife bought me a ring from Groove life. I quit wearing my tungsten ring because I was concerned about getting hurt at work. I’ve had my silicone ring for about a year. My ring appears to be molded from two pieces. After a year wearing it pretty much nonstop I’ve noticed the top black silicone layer is wearing thin. I can see the orange underlay. So far so good but I’m keeping a close eye on it. It will get sent in for replacement if it deteriorates much more.

Delkancott likes this.
  10. Expat

Well, a ring tattoo could always be covered up with a, well, a ring.

Swampdog, IW17 and koolaidnd like this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I went to helicopter mechanic school for my Uncle. One of the first safety vid...er...filmstrip we watched was all about de-gloving.

I wear a ring in my professional capacity, but farm work? Ain't no way.
    Coast Guard son got to watch a similar video, and his new wife paid for his ring tattoo.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i posted a video once of a young lad and a high speed lathe............I never wear rings, watches, bracelets, or long sleeves after seeing that,,,,

Reno Lewis likes this.
  13. Expat

Due to my affinity for tinkering with motorcycles, Mrs. Expat bought me one of these:

http://kinektdesign.com/product-gear-ring.php

It's a cool ring and people ask me about it all the time. The problem for me is not so much safety--Heaven knows I abhor manual labor. It's that rings can scratch guns and motorcycles, so that's my incentive for looking at the condom rings. I thought I had scratch a tank the other day with my ring. I heard it hit and that ring has some sharp edges in the gears. But I lucked out.

14. Mike K

Mike K Member

I have always liked rings and tattoos...........as long as they are on someone else!

Jeff Randall likes this.
  15. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Do you ever have to put any 90w gear oil on that ring? Seems like it would wear out pretty quick otherwise.

16. Jeff Randall

No truer words ever spoken

17. JAD

JAD Member

I had a rock climbing mishap that involved wearing my wedding ring. I lost my footing and took my entire weight on my hand and primarily the ring of my finger. My injury was called degloving. Fortunately for me, the process was only initialized and not completed. In other words, the skin was cut but not torn away. I was able to remove the ring immediately before onset of swelling.

The ring was deformed from circular to elliptical creating a sharp edge on the bent portion. I used a vise and attempted to bend it back to circular with reasonable success, then filed the objectionable edge off. That was 15 years ago.

When my finger healed I tried wearing the ring but never comfortably. It still sits in my wife's jewelry box.

Shrug.

Been happily married for 33 years now. :D

"I don't need no stinkin' ring"! Blazing Saddles

18. Expat

I use the BMW 25W. It last forever. Completely frictionless. And only $400 a quart. Comes in a Yeti bottle.

I' am a sticker magnate after all.

19. Expat

"I've got a ring. Do you like me, Fokker?"

20. Jeff Randall

Better than being a refrigerator magnet I guess