Adventure Trailer Summit Camper

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by R Stowe, Jul 20, 2018.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

So we’re back from Maine and the inaugural trip for the AT Summit camper I picked up after Expo West at the end of May. There’s only a couple of these in existence, but I think they’ll be a super popular option once they hit full production.

[​IMG]

It only weighs 50lb, or so, more than my old camper shell, rack, tent combo. The nice part is you can leave boats, bikes, etc. loaded up top when it’s deployed.

So the tent body you see is the version 0.0 prototype made by our friends at Blue Ridge Overland Gear. AT has had some problems getting the tent body into production and since we had this trip coming up the BROG crew helped us out in a pinch. The final product will have windows and a liner for cold weather.

Since I had one space to use for cargo and sleeping I thought I should upgrade those situations to match the new camper.

[​IMG]

I built a sub floor with a 2x4 frame that’s bolted to the truck bed. The floor is 1/2 plywood that I was going to stain but it didn’t take well, so I went to a darker stain that ended up paint like. I didn’t care for that look so I distressed it with a razor blade to get a hardwood look. It looks decent but I’ll probably sand it to lighten it up a bit and then clear coat the crap out of it. Then I mounted our Dometic 40 liter fridge and slide to the floor. The space to the left of the fridge will hold our camp stove that will be bungied to the side to keep it from crowding the fridge vent. The fridge is plugged into the 12 volt that’s built into the Summit, and hard wired to the battery. I haven’t decided if I’ll put a mini drawer under the floor or block it off completely. I’d like the drawer but it might interfere with the wooden piece I want to add to the tailgate that will address the slippery surface issue of getting in and out of the truck bed, and seal up the camper where there’s a bit of a gap at the moment.

[​IMG]

At the front of the bed I have space for 2 Front Runner boxes stacked two wide and two tall without blocking the view out the back of th cab. These crates are great because they stack rock solid, the lids are super secure, and they’re really tough. We stopped and picked up two more on our trip to complete our storage options. I might get tall lids for the top two in the future.

The next step is to put a bench with a piano hinge lid down the right side. It won’t be a huge sitting space but it’ll be nice to have for relaxing in the camper in case of rain. Underneath I’ll store tool rolls, compressor, extra fluids, the plug kit, and whatever else fits. The one issue at the moment is making sure it doesn’t interfere with how well the storage boxes have worked out.

You’ll definitely be seeing a lot more of this, but I wanted to show version 1 of our set up.

2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Awesome write up @R Stowe !! it's cool to see the trends changing in the Ovelanding crowd with more options being brought in all the time...

R Stowe likes this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

I think it's a badass setup.

R Stowe and shaneadams90 like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

That looks great !!!

R Stowe and shaneadams90 like this.
  5. R Stowe

Thanks man. I agree. The hard top tents have started to evolve into the camper models. I’m sure you saw the others at Expo.

Appreciate it. It’s getting to where I want it. I’ll hit 200k any day now.

It could only be better if it was about a 1988 Hilux...

shaneadams90 likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Ewwwwwww...1980s LowLux.... my back hurts just thinking of it !! (my best mate had one he bought new). Sad that you guys never got any of the real HD trucks Toyota makes. The 75/76/78/79 (they are not years, 76 and 79 are still current today) are what their reputation as tough was founded on. The 60/80/100 and 200 are the wagons, I had two 60s and still have my 80.

That said I wish I could get a decent priced (genuine import) Tundra :D

R Stowe likes this.
  7. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Nice work.

R Stowe likes this.
  8. R Stowe

Haha I’m sure they ride like wagons. But they would be great for my purposes. Plus, I’m pretty sure they were one of the first double cab tracks available. I’m with you on the 70 series. I’d love to have a newer 78 but it would cost more than a house to get to the states. That being said a JDM 80 series diesel is probably the meeting point of practical and pipe dream for me. If I could import one with decent miles for a decent price I could handle some upgrades component wise. Now about that Tundra, @DYSPHORIC JOY is your man. I bet he would sell and deliver his for no more than 99k.

9. Andy the Aussie

Well given a grey import and RHD converted Tundra is about $150K here we may work something out !

If I buy another truck anytime soon (give I have had the HJZ80 now for 21yrs and it is still going strong) it will be a 76 series. I don't need the extra length of a Troop Carrier (but would have it if they had a factory third or fourth passenger door), post 2016 they changed the gearing a little to make 5th more of an overdrive that does wonders for fuel economy on an already thirsty 4.2D V8. New, setup how I want would run out close to $85-95K .... makes my eyes bleed just thinking about it.

10. R Stowe

@Andy the Aussie I'm sure we can work something out. That's awesome about your 80. I'll have one someday. I'd love to have diesel 80 with light modifications that got something better than 12mpg on a good day.

11. Andy the Aussie

Yes the petrol version were knows to be THIRSTY !!!!!!!! Big heavy truck with a 6cyl petrol donk and it was bound to happen. when I was in Africa they had newly manufactired 76/78/79 series trucks sill sporting the 1HZ donk, like my 80 they don't get anywhere FAST but they ALWAYS get there. I have actually been looking at importing a 76/1HZ from south Africa to here !

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. R Stowe

That’s what it’s all about. In my Taco I’m reminded to not leave late because there’s no use in hurrying. That 76 with the 1HZ would be awesome. You know, I’m thinking we should get into the import business.

13. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Very nice setup, Rick!

R Stowe likes this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

How much did it set you back??

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i have 4 of those Front Runner boxes.....best damn storage tote ever

16. R Stowe

Thanks! It's getting to where we want it. The best part is the set up and breakdown are about as streamlined as it gets.

Well, this is the very first one and it has a few kinks, and I'm helping test out this new model. That being said they'll be around $8900 when they hit full production. That version will have some changes and improvements.

100% agreed. They don't weigh a ton empty like other boxes do, when they're stacked they're rock solid, and with four we can carry pretty much all of our food, camp kitchen stuff, some chairs, hammocks, and clothes. All we have is day packs and some tools and parts stashed in the truck.

RedEyedHog likes this.
  17. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

That's a bad ass set up man.. I dig it..

R Stowe likes this.
  18. R Stowe

Thanks Mike, I want to get an awning figured out, the tool storage, and maybe a mounted water jug. Then I'll probably be settled.

19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@R Stowe
    Cool!
    I’ve been bummed I cannot find a flippac or similiar for my truck and I am excited to see where this project goes!

20. R Stowe

Yeah, the Flippacs are tough to find, especially in good condition, and from what I understand they have some issues that were never really addressed. That's compounded by the fact there isn't any customer support for them.

The Habitat from AT is another option, but personally, I like that we can leave cargo on top of the Summit when it's deployed.

Hoover77 and RocketmanDane like this.